1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why did I not know about Fry's sooner?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DanHiggsBeard, Jan 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

This place is mecca.

I had always assumed it was just like Best Buy, so I avoided it.

I've always ordered all of my pc parts online to avoid being gouged by retail stored, but Fry's shcoked the hell out of me.

Well I finally went, and their prices vary from newegg.com's by mere dollars, which you would pay for on shipping anyway.

Plus they have insane delas like A64 3200+/mobo comboes for $205, or 200gb SATA hd's for $70. I even saw a A64 3000+ OEM for $95 last weekend. Say what??

I love this store, and now I want one even closer to Humble.

2. Fatty FatBastard

There's a Frys on 45 and the beltway. That's about as close to Humble as you're going to get.

3. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Yeah, that's the one I went to.

I'm going again after work to pick up a mobo and hd.

4. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

We've discussed them a number of times here. I've been shopping at Frys for about 10 years, and NEVER EVER EVER buy returned items, esp. computer parts.

5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Be wary of the mobo/cpu package deals. Don't count on the mobo being anything decent. That being said...those are still pretty good deals...you can get the packaged deal cheaper than you could get the cpu alone. That's what I did...bought the package deal and a better mobo...gonna dump that piecer mobo on eBay and make some back!:D

And...you gotta love a place that drops a DDR dance pad out for the kids (and adults) to try out.

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

When I order from newegg I pay zero in sales tax, when you buy from a retail store you pay 8.25%. That's usually far more than the shipping costs. Plus, newegg has remarkably good customer service, while I've heard differently about Fry's.

To each his own, though.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

They recently built one on the SW side around Murphey and the SW Freeway. I'm checking it out next time I'm home.

8. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I love Fry's and have always had decent service there. Most of the time, I know what I'm looking for and don't need much help from the sales people. They also usually have ridiculous deals on blank media, plus they have dvd's, cd's, home appliances and all kinds of electronics, computer stuff, hardware and software! It's a geek's dream!

9. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

I'd rather pay a few bucks more in tax than wait for a package to arrive. Waiting for a package usually means it comes while I'm at work, so I have to sign a release and wait an extra day.

I never buy mobo/cpu combos...just using it as an example.

I'm building a new rig, and I hope to pick up a A64 3200+, MSI K8N Neo Platinum, and whatever 200 gig SATA hd is on sale tonight.

I already have a gig of Crucial memory and a case from newegg in the mail.

10. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I love this place too, I really love bring in their newspaper ads to Bestbuy and having them match stuff... DIE BESTBUY DIE!!!

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Isn't there a Fry's in Clear Lake, or is it opening up later?

12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

The one in Clear Lake is a must see............it's like a big space station. An awesome tribute to NASA.

Great store.....but I still get most of my stuff from newegg.

13. AGBee

AGBee Member

Seconded...it's much more awesome than the generic Fry's stores they've been opening in the Dallas area.

14. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I like Fry's well enough, but I really only shop there for stuff on sale. Otherwise, I pretty much stick to Axion, Directron, and NewEgg.

15. dumbholly

dumbholly Member

on a somewhat related topic...im thinking of gettin an ipod or dell dj...wut do u guys think?

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think you should get the Gizmondo instead.

Games, Movies, MP3s, GPS, Messaging...etc..etc..etc..

www.gizmondo.com

Comes out in March.

DD

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

wow, $70 for 200 gb hd? I think it's time to upgrade.

18. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

They got the new Fry's opening on Beltway 8 and 59

anyone know when thats open?

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

that's exaclty what I was going to ask. When is that one opening?

20. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I don't know if you are allowed to answer this DaDakota, but I have a question regarding the price of the Gizmondo.

As it stands now, I wouldn't pay $420 for it, especially with the DS and PSP out there, not to mention other multimedia products. However, I read somewhere from someone in the company, IIRC, that the Gizmondo's price would drop pretty rapidly and that it would be around $99. Is that true and if so is there some timetable for when that will happen?

I realize that is probably like asking Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo for detailed plans on their next-gen consoles, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Some of the games you guys made could be pretty interesting and something I'd consider getting if the Gizmondo only cost ~$99.