1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why CP3 is not going to NY and why DM will pull a major trade soon!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiaoqiu, Jul 25, 2010.

1. xiaoqiu

xiaoqiu Member

CP3 is not going to be traded to NY, period, and here is why:

1. NBA team is not allowed to not have 1st round pick for 2 years in a row. As we hold NY's 2012 1st round pick, NY must have a 1st round pick in both 2011 and 2013 to meet this requirement. Hence, NY can only send their 2014 1st round pick in any trade.
    2. Any players that acquired or signed in Summer can not be traded until Dec 15, 2010. So NY can not trade those players from Warriors yet.

Now you tell me what asset do they have for CP3 right now?

which means our NY picks are attractive before Dec 15, 2010 and may drop in value towards the trade deadline depending on what NY pulls out or play.

so, as smart as DM, he will certainly try to sell high of these 2 picks, just like what he did to Landry and possibly will to Brooks, Budinger, JH, etc.

P.S. until Dec 15, 2010, Magic can not trade JJ redick, Q. Richardson. Portland can not trade wesley Mathius, Luke Babbit.

Hence, unless Portland let go Oden, nobody beats us in the chips while still keep competitive!

P.S. again: We can swallow both Okafor and Posey with CP3. (Battier+Jefferes+Andersen+JH+Hayes+AB+A. Johnson+Harris) Again, no other teams have that many expiring or TE.

in Morey we trust.

1 person likes this.
  2. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Wow very true… I didn't know that dec. 15 thing that will definately help with new York but Portland and Orlando still have pieces.

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

I wouldn't care kf Paul doesnt come here, as long as he doesnt go to NY.

4. joesr

joesr Member

5. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I think Morey will pull a rabbit out of his hat and suprise everyone in the league, either by getting CP3, Iggy, Granger or another star that we haven't mentioned. I think it will be way before the deadline.

DD©

6. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

ill root for every rockets player, but im not exactly a fan of his. especially with everything thats happened this summer. i think hes more interested in being with superstars of his own age (ala lebron with bosh n wade) rather than being in a solid team talent n chemistry wise from top to bottom.

7. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

Just so you know, the Dec 15 trade restriction is only for teams over the cap.

8. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Why would NO not want to wait until 12/15?

9. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I honestly don't want him here if it means giving up all those pieces. I know you have to gived something to get something but paul might not last very long even if he signs an extention with us. His knee is a big problem and it can limit his career. Remember, just like Yao, he hasn't played for a while and we can't say for sure how good he is after the injury. I would give up all these pieces to get a guy like granger but Paul I would pass on.

10. xiaoqiu

xiaoqiu Member

my bad, this will work:
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=25djdbj

but certainly I don't think we will send that many players, so a 3rd team will probably be involved. Especially those teams that need a PG in AB, e.g. Indiana, Toronto, Atlanta

If Morey can get CP3 with either Okafor or Posey instead of both, that will be even sweeter.

Nevertheless, a roster of
    C: Yao/Miller/Okafor
    PF:Scola/Okafor/PP
    SF: Ariza/Battier(I will insist Hornets to buy off Battier)/Posey
    SG: Martin/Posey/Battier/Wafer?
    PG:CP3/Lowry/3rd PG

is a serious contender in playoff. We can even limit Yao's minute to 20-25 with Okafor and Miller in the regular season.
    If we can somehow keep Budinger and/or Taylor and/or Hayes, wow.

In this case, even if Yao's not recovering (let's hope for the best but plan for the worst), we are still a legitimate playoff team.

11. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

exactly..

12. jackiespam

jackiespam Member

I think new york is still under the salary cap so they dont need to be within 10% of the trade money. they can absorb okafor contract with trade exception or for eddy curry, and offer gallini and chandler for paul. then you can always buy draft picks to give to new orleans. the killer in here for the knicks is that okafor really doesn't fit their system and prevents randolph and stoudamire playing lots of minutes and playing uptempo

13. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I wouldn't give them Battier. It'll be Brooks plus all other players.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

well on paper our roster looks really good since we keep most of our core, improve our starting 5 and still keep good depth.Im just not sure how realistic it is to trade so many players....

And here's the other thing...we're assuming they want a nice PG back for CP, but they actually already have a very good PG in collison, so i think they're actually looking for a young big. They have nice players at the 2/3 as well in Thornton and Wright......portland doesnt have a young big they'd be willing to give up and neither does NY. Orlando has gortat, but i'm not sure he's young enough, sinc ehe's almost as old as Okafor. I'm not sure Hill is talented enough for them, but maybe, especially if Bud is thrown in as he can definitely back up and possibly become a better player than wright.

15. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Yea but by trading with us, they'll gain a lot of expired contracts, that's more important than filling their need i think. I'll give them Brooks + Jeffries + Hayes, Anderson + Maybe #1 pick.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I've never heard this and I'm not sure I buy it.

The Rockets didn't have first rounder in 2003 or 2004.

They traded their 2003 first rounder to the Grizzlies in 1999 as part of the Steve Francis deal. That pick was subsequently traded from Memphis to Boston on draft night.

They traded their 2004 first rounder and Glen Rice to the Jazz for John Amechi and a 2nd rounder.

The Denver Nuggets didn't have any picks, first or second rounders, in 2007 or 2008. They traded their 2007 first rounder (and Dallas' first rounder via Golden State) to the Sixers in 2006 in the Allen Iverson trade. Denver traded its 2008 first rounder to Charlotte for a conditional future first rounder.

The Mavs didn't have any first rounders in 2007 or 2008 either. As mentioned above, they traded their 2007 pick to Golden State in 2004. They traded their 2008 first rounder to New Jersey in the Jason Kidd deal.

So where did you read that teams aren't allowed to not have first rounders in consecutive years?

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Betting on signing talent, especially very good talent, is more risky. Plus, collison deserves to start and so does Brooks, but this isnt a lowry/brooks situation. Collison can be an all-star someday, so he shouldnt take a back up role. He needs to start to fulfill his potential and getting brooks doesn make a lot of sense, as he too needs starter's minutes.

18. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q74

Teams are restricted from trading away future first round draft picks in consecutive years. This is known as the "Ted Stepien Rule." Stepien owned the Cavs from 1980-83, and made a series of bad trades (such as the above-mentioned 1982 trade) that cost the Cavs several years' first round picks. As a result of Stepien's ineptitude, teams are now prevented from making trades which might leave them without a first round pick in consecutive future years.

The Stepien rule applies only to future first round picks. For example, if this is the 2005-06 season, then a team can trade its 2006 first round pick without regard to whether they had traded their 2005 pick, since their 2005 pick is no longer a future pick. But they can't trade away both their 2006 and 2007 picks, since both are future picks. Teams sometimes work around this rule by trading first round picks in alternate years.

The Rockets were allowed to trade their pick in 2004 to Utah because their 2003 pick that they traded to Memphis was no longer considered a future pick at the time of the Glen Rice trade. Thats why the Rockets couldn't get the Knicks pick in 2011 (instead got the right to swap picks) because the Knicks had already traded away their 2010 pick to Utah in the upcoming draft. Since the Rockets own the Knicks pick in 2012, the Knicks won't be able to offer their 2013 pick to anyone.

3 people like this.
  19. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Actually, as I've posted in various threads, if NO trades Paul without regards for his preference the Sacramento Kings would be a good trade partner for them. Sacramento is around $8 million under the salary cap, they have Dalembert's expiring contract, and have young prospects they could give up. So if we are assuming that NO is trading Paul to a team not on his wish list then the Rockets aren't the only possibility.

Also, lets be realistic, the chances of there being a 13 player trade is as close to zero as you can get.

20. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Wow! I was way off. The Kings are actually $15million under the cap