1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Couldn't Rockets Secure Dampier Signing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Liberon, Mar 3, 2011.

1. ApuN

ApuN Member

This guy is washed up with a bum knee

He showed up out of shape and decided to go get a ring. To post a thread on Erica is a big waste of time

2. ApuN

ApuN Member

Flippin Battier for Perkins??

This is why Morey is making millions doing deals and you make nothing posting on a forum.

3. Jdawg

Jdawg Member

Can you imagine how good our offense would be with Dampier at the 5 and Hayes at the 4 out there at the same time? (thick sarcasm!)

4. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

becuase of shots like these

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m-GPNhNTCF8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Disciple of RP

6. blunto

blunto Member

They didn't have an available roster spot at the time. Sacramento must not have been willing to absorb the salary yet and waited until something else fell through. Then Williams became available and the Rockets ended up plugging him into the 15th spot instead.

More upside: Williams or Dampier? Seems right in tune with the team's objectives to me.

7. ashishduh

ashishduh Member

Stay in school kids.

8. rju1986

rju1986 Member

Hell, we could use 5-6 more games.. I'd take him over Thabeet (only to try & salvage this season).

9. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

The guy you quoted never said he was a God no one in this thread has even acted like he is a god. We do however think you are a r****d for your false assessment of Morey's intellect.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Member

I've watched Erica play for years, and if you really believe he is better than Bosh or that he would have made much if any difference on the Rockets then all I can say is thank goodness you are not the Rockets GM.

11. jocar

jocar Member

Dampier?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Rockets9495

Rockets9495 Member

They passed on him because he was terrible in his workout

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Thats like asking why didnt we just trade for Hasheem Thabeet. Almost same skill level but Thabeet can be better than Dampier one day. Dampier would not have made any more of a significant impact than Chuck Hayes already makes. At least thats my opinion.

14. Village Bum

Village Bum Member

My thoughts exactly.

15. HayesDPOY

HayesDPOY Member

Because Rockets have not hope to win a championship and well likely be a mediocre team for a few years.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Spoken like someone who doesn't realize he's talking about Eric Dampier. The reality is that you have no idea how bad he is because you follow the Rockets and what happens or has happened in Dallas is none of your concern. But since I happen to live in Dallas, I was able to catch quite a bit of Dampier's act up close and personal and believe me: to say Damp sucks is an insult to the word "suck". Dampier is so bad that if ***** got Dampier on itself, ***** would wipe him off. The running joke up here was that whenever Dampier would get into a game, we'd all start watching for him to collect personal fouls so he could get sent back to the bench which happens to be his favorite place to watch an NBA game. His stats are abysmal particularly for a guy of his physical stature and he literally was stealing Mark Cuban's money ($10M per) while he was here (although technically, it's not stealing if it was freely given to you by a sucker).

When the Dampier threads first started, I found myself literally overcome with hysterical laughter. When I showed them to my friend in the Mavs front office, he almost gave himself a hernia from laughing so hard. Yes, it is that funny to anyone who has seen him in action (I use the word action only in the hypothetical sense here). You look at him play in isolated spurts here and there and wonder of wonders, he will occasionally appear to be much much better than he actually is - which is what you saw last night. But mark my words: that is an i l l u s i o n. He was supposed to be the answer for Dallas at center - aplayer who would take the pressure off Dirk and allow them to dump Rafe LaFrenz. Instead, he turned into a running joke. Teams would literally isolate point guards on him so they could posterize him. It's no coincidence that once the Mavs dumped Damp and got Tyson Chandler, the level of their post play increased exponentially and their current record shows it. Now if you could somehow put Chuck Hayes' ability, mind, detrmination and spirit into Dampier's body, THEN you'd have a championship caliber center and not a chump like Eric Dampier.

1 person likes this.
  17. ashishduh

ashishduh Member

Because we wanted to try and make the playoffs.

18. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

We were about to sign him, but backed off at the last minute saying that we have no interest in signing him.

19. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

A conservative is born.

20. crash5179

crash5179 Member

This is exactly my thoughts on this. I live in Dallas as well and Erica is like the anti-christ of centers.