1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why CAN'T this Team Win as Many Regular Season Games as the 2014-15 Squad?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Oct 23, 2016.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Thread title is self-explanatory. Let's just run through the rosters and coaches (and this is assuming that last years chemistry issues are in the rearview mirror):

Guards
    2014-15: Patrick Beverley (missed 26 games), James Harden, Jason Terry, Isaiah Canaan/Pablo Prigioni
    2015-16: Patrick Beverley (missing at least 20 games), James Harden, Eric Gordon, Pablo Prigioni

Harden is coming into the season in good shape and highly motivated. Gordon is a massive upgrade over Terry. Pat missed a bunch of games that season, he'll miss a bunch this season. Overall, I think this group is better.

Wings
    2014-15: Trevor Ariza, Corey Brewer, Kostas Papanikolau, Francisco Garcia
    2015-16: Trevor Ariza, Corey Brewer, KJ McDaniels

Ariza's older and slower, but if last year is any indication he appears to be a better shooter. Brewer was somewhat useful then, appears to be useless now. KJ looks ready to contribute. Personally, I think it's a push.

Power Forwards
    2014-15: Donatas Motiejunas, Terrence Jones, Josh Smith
    2015-16: Ryan Anderson, Montrezl Harrell, Sam Dekker

D-Mo was a big part of the team as a secondary scorer and post presence. He started out great on defense but got worse as the season went on. Anderson is a much better secondary offensive player and floor spacer, and is considerably worse defensively. Rebounding's probably about even. Harrell seems to understand his role and limitations better than Jones ever did. We'll see if Dekker can give us more or less with we got from Josh.

Centers
    2014-15: Dwight Howard (missed 41 games), Tarik Black, Joey Dorsey
    2015-16: Clint Capela, Nene, Chinanu Onuaku

Dwight missed half the season, and when he did play his boxscore +/- and real +/- weren't any better than what Capela posted last year. For as long as Nene can stay healthy, he should represent a big improvement over Black and Dorsey. I believe our bigs will better this year, but obviously a lot rides on Capela's development and Nene's health.

Coaches
    2014-15: Kevin McHale and JB Bickerstaff
    2015-16: Mike D'Antoni and Jeff Bzdelik

For all the b****ing about the D'Antoni hiring, I've yet to see anyone suggest that we downgraded from McHale.

My Conclusion
    Look. I'm not saying that this group is going to make the WCFs. Healthy Dwight was a beast in the playoffs, and we got lucky by securing the 2nd seed and then playing a team of choke artists in the second round. I've already said that I expect this team, as currently constructed, to lose in the first round. But the conference is weaker, our coaching is better, and so much of the stink from last year's debacle seemed to be a result of terribly chemistry. Given all that, is it really so crazy to believe that this team, with a little bit of good fortune, could win 50-55 games? Call me a fanboy homer, but I like this squad, and I'm looking forward to this season.

Go Rockets.

topfive likes this.
  2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The Rockets were actually winning at a higher percentage without Howard than with him, if I recall correctly.

I feel like the Rockets were at their best when the team played around him. Howard, upon returning to the lineup in that season, was more open to a supporting cast type role since he himself said it was vital the chemistry was not disrupted with how well the team was playing without him.

I reckon it would be a similar case this year, except Harden will have a more complete supporting cast (making up for D-Mo's absence) and a guy like Eric Gordon would be huge in terms of play making off the bench.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If Capela can play like Dwight in 2014-15 and Harden can get back to his 2014-15 level, then definitely yes this team can win as many games.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The easy answer is to look at our record to open the season two yrs ago. We were a big surprise. Do you think we can duplicate that out of the gate this year? If not, then we have to make up that ground in the second half, while defenses are also learning us and teams are getting better and fighting for playoff position themselves

We have new system, three significant roster changes (Dwight gone, EGo, Ryno in) and defenses having two years of game planning Harden now, vs that year where he caught the league by surprise and took by storm, much like Curry/GSW did as well

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Ryan Anderson is an underrated rebounder; he consistently gets 6 rebounds a game. Fans think just because he isn't the best defensive player, he loafs at the rim. Not true.

I'm one of those fans who thinks D-Mo is a good "box-outer allowing others to get rebounds" (come at me). Anderson is a MUCH better rebounder than DMO.

I think I helped your argument @dharocks

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

People think Rockets aren't going to make the payoffs. Rockets could surprise some teams with a potent offense.

Fiah likes this.
  7. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Because Houston isn't nearly as good as defensively as they were in 2014 and in 2015. Houston became one of the worst defensive teams in 2016 while still remaining a top offensive team. The outcome was 41-41. The other two seasons houston was both a top defensive and offensive team which led to 54 and 56 win teams. In order for Houston this year to crack that mojo again houston will need to be a top 15 defensive team and looking at out personel it's gonna be tough to do that. That's why 47-50 wins seems more likely

8. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

harden should have won mvp.

9. heypartner

My point wasn't can we surprise people. My point about "Can we win as many games as 2014-15" is can we produce the same start that we had two years ago, when we surprised the league.

We started at:
    16-4 .800

We extended it another month to:
    27-11 .710

Then the conference chased us down, and 4 teams were tied for #2 seed going into last game.

So, my question again is: Do you think we can start off the season like 2014? I don't. And do you think we can make up lost ground in the 2nd half to catch our 2014-15 squad, at the time of the season where it's harder to surprise folks. The new system and coach and significant roster changes mentioned in my 1st post, make me think not. Now if we were an oiled machine (on same page going full boat out of the gate) that's a different story.

10. dharocks

I disagree that the offense is going to need the element of surprise to produce at an extremely high level. Teams, even well prepared teams, have very limited options against a spread pick and roll system with four 40% 3pt shooters on the floor, a dominant PnR initiator, a strong secondary ball-handler, and an excellent finisher at the rim. As to your point about the new system, as D'Antoni has mentioned (to which I agree), it's not as if the offense has been completely overhauled. It's been tweaked, with fewer inefficient Dwight post-ups (which we led the damn league in last year), and better personnel for what we're trying to accomplish. But the goals of the offense are largely the same, the players for the most part seem to understand their roles, and I think that we can expect better ball movement and more sophisticted play-calling at the end of games and out of timeouts.

11. heypartner

I said nothing about needing the element of surprise. I just said we surprised fan predictions in 2014, to make sure people remembered how fast we got out of the gate.

Can we get off that word?

12. dharocks

I'm confused then. What did you mean by this?

13. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Honestly, our ceiling right now is the 4th seed. That certainly beats what we were last year. I think we are being underrated. I'm not saying we are contenders but we certainly can advance to the second round and give a hell of a fight to whomever we meet there.

Houston, Portland, Utah and Oklahoma will all be slotted in some random order for the 4-7 seeds. The top 3 seeds are obviously GS, SAS, and Clips. The 8th seed is where the bloodbath will be. Memphis, Dallas, Minnesota, New Orleans and hell, even Denver all have a shot at it. Gonna be interesting to see.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think you forgot the most important factor, everyone on the West got weaker except for GSW and maybe the Spurs. Back then almost every team was a threat, Portland, Clippers, Spurs, Dallas, GSW, OKC etc.

Now? Dallas and Clippers are old AF, they ain't doing ****. TD is retired and Spurs have some locker room issues. Portland and OKC lost key players to Spurs and GSW. So make the competition weaker +slightly better roster = WCF. Unfortunately that would probably be our ceiling since GSW is there but at least that would be a successful run this year and since the team is young we can afford to wait for a chance.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Have you seen the Clips play in the preseason? They look like a total mess, CP3 looks like he's done as the best pg in the league and all their wins are against scrub teams like Sacramento and Portland and they won it by 5 pts or less. They remind me of us last year and they're my pick for most disappointing team this year.

16. abaker28

abaker28 Member

If I objectively look at the Rockets today Vs 2014/15, I think we're better.
    Reason (in part) is Howard was out for large chunks of that season, which killed chemistry when he played last season. Even the whole argument about Harden doesn't play well in finals, I think can be attributed to Howard being back in the finals in 14/15.
    We've now built the team with shooters, P&R forwards etc to suit the guy who carried us during the season in 14/15 - So yes we're better constructed.
    BUT the reason why I don't think we'll win as many games as 14/15 has to do more with other teams than with us. The top teams have gotten much better and it's simple as that.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

There is no reason to believe the Rockets are incapable of playing good defense with this lineup.

In the 2014-2015 season, the Rockets started Jason Terry for almost half the season, and Dwight Howard was also missing for half of the season (replaced with Joey Dorsey and Tarick Black). Yes, D-Mo is an underrated defender in that season, but this season the Rockets will have guys like Nene and to an optimistic extent, Capela as well at Center. In fact, the only big man on the Rocket's roster that has questionable defense is Ryan Anderson. Nene, Harrell, Capela are all at the very least decent and serviceable defenders/shot blocking threats.

I think the Rockets' defense this season will be far better than what a lot of people anticipated, and I predict they will be top 15 this season.

18. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

The significant thing to keep in mind is the west is a lot tougher. Portland, Dallas, Memphis(will be good) Wolves(going to be tough) Utah(my tip as the big improvers) are much better teams then they were in 2015.There wont be many given games. The west is loaded from top to bottom.I think outside of the Warriors and maybe the Spurs the west is wide open.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

There's more parity in general but the West was tougher before, I don't know how you think Dallas, Memphis and Portland are better now than they were before, and isn't Chandler Parsons injured again? Right now the top tier talent is concentrated on just GSW and maybe Spurs, I think Rox have a much better chance of getting to the WCF this year.

20. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

Portland is significantly better even without Aldridge. They have a ton of depth and more importantly they play on both sides of the ball now. Dallas with Bogut and Barnes are a much better defensive team this season. Memphis will be there abouts with a healthy Gasol and a leaner and more motivated Randolph.Also my point was not about the Rockets chances or the lack of chances not making the WCF my point is wins in general will be harder to get. I think 52 wins this seasons might get you the the fourth seed because of the improvement in teams like the Wolves, Utah, Portland and even Denver who will be better and the wins will be spread out more.

Wins in general are going to be harder to get this season. Only the Warriors and maybe the Spurs can possibly get 60 odd wins this season in my opinion.

Mr. Clutch likes this.