1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Why can't Patterson be a star?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Prince

Prince Member

Bulls-eye!

2. Woohoo777

Woohoo777 Member

i really think his "work ethic" plays a huge role.
    anyone who becomes an allstar has to work exteremly hard.
    im pretty sure jordon works hard, kobe defintely works hard too.

those who work hard on and off the court has a way bigger chance of becoming an all star.

i recall that arenas was not really a solid shooter when he was drafted.
    but then he started practicing a lot during one summer
    and then he becomes the starter and can shoot from long distance.

anyways just wanna share what i thought.

3. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Not to mention K.Lowery, C.Bud, and L.Scola.

4. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i remember watching a kentucky game.....there was a wet spot on the floor and they told the towel boy to wipe it, but he didnt do a good job, so patterson got the towel and went down on his knees to wipe the floor. the whole crowd cheered.

thats the kind of guy we got!

5. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

one thing about Morey's draft picks are their good character guys. :)

just look at brooks, landry, budinger, now patterson, (traded for scola)...all good characters and team players

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

Because he is going to sit behind Scola, for probably most of the year, unless he breaks out, and is actually BETTER than Scola.

What do you mean by All-Star anyway? Most of the All-Stars chosen are known by even the most basic NBA fans. For instance, Brooks can light it up from anywhere, and can get you at least 18/19 points a game. But you ask anyone outside of Texas, and there will be a lot of "Who is Aaron Brooks?"

And he IS at most a solid NBA starter. And it's because he hasn't played a single NBA game. The comparison to him being solid is actually nice; until he plays, preconceptions will just be that; preconceptions.

Besides, GMs and scouts need something to say about the kid. I mean, if Patterson was labeled: "At most, a bench player," would you even be making this thread?

7. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Nice post. Patterson looks like a fantastic pick at 14. He looks like a perfect replacement for Landry and he can help the Rockets this year instead of being a project for the future. The team clearly is in "win now" mode, not rebuilding for the future. The Rockets needed a tough, physical big, and that's what they got. The comments about him being undersized are perplexing. It's as if people are shooting their mouths off about the pick without even thinking. The team will make other moves this summer, probably a significant one, but even if they didn't, the team as-is would be very good next year.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Patterson cannot be a star because he does not have any desire to be the alpha dog. All the reports paint the picture of a perfect team player, basically someone who lacks the arrogance and selfishness that defines star players.

9. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Yeah, kind of like that Yao Ming guy.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Because he doesnt have any special qualities nor does he have the mentality to be special. Whether it was in school or college. He's just a solid george lynch type of player. Maybe even rick fox.

11. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Yao Ming DOES demand for the ball. I don't know which games you watch, but Yao is always fighting down in the paint and calling for the ball, but Brooks is too short or crappy of a passer to find a way to get him a ball. Yao's problem is that he is not aggressive enough after he gets the ball. He needs to bump back the opponent and slam it down.

12. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

My theory and this is the best one I think.. Is that its the people saying this because we didnt draft their player they wanted. Most certainly he can become a star. Certainly better upside than Landry who was drafted so low. We all know how that turned out.

13. redao

redao Member

Amare and Boozer are actually very undersized on defensive end.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think you are selling him short. Look at his numbers pre-Cousins. That's in a top program at Kentucky. Saying he will be only a complimentary player, without much in the way of upside, simply because he was willing to take a backseat for the good of the team is hitting him over the head with what I see has a great trait.

15. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Cool stats no bull. Boozers college average statistics across the board are all nearly worse than Patrick Pattersons career college averages and they both came out as juniors and Patrick is taller and more athletic and has a better shooting range. Thats the best comparison of how much upside he has and potential. Better than Boozer potentially.

16. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Now THERE's a ringing endorsement.

Hey, I could have put all those mitigating factors in my post, but I remember a math teacher who said, "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."

Truer words were never spoken.

17. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Not sure what you are trying to say here? Yao demands the ball and that the offense runs through him down low in his passive way. Patterson appears to be more like Battier and plays within the system. He is not going to go out of his way to force the issue, much like how stars do.

18. verse

verse Contributing Member

You disappoint me, leeb.

PJ Brown, my brother. PJ Brown!

19. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

career avg. college Patterson
    pts 16.1 fg%58.5 rebs.8.2 assists1.5 blocks1.6
    avg.min.33.7

Boozer college career averages
    pts.14.9 fg.%63 rebs7.2 assists1.2 blocks.7
    Avg.min.25.9

Boozers teammates? Mike Dunleavy jr. who outscored him and Jason Williams who also outscored him

Pattersons teammates? Wall and Cousins

20. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Ok so Dunleavy didnt outscore him that year. It was still a close though. Boozer was shorter and doesnt have the athleticism either though.