1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why can we never make a 3 when the game is one the line?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Madeinchin4, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Madeinchin4

Madeinchin4 Member

I notice this ever since Francis was trade for T-mac.
    The team never have a good play coming out of a timeout when the game is on the line.
    When T-mac was playing, its him outjumping the defender and jacing a 3.
    There is no play where someone can somehow get a open shot or catch and shoot (except the season opener against the lakers last season)
    Today's game Yao shouldn't even catch the ball in the 1st place, why do u have a 7'6 center catch a out of bounce play with his back to the basket???
    I'd rather see someone catches it and pass to yao for a shot than yao passing to brooks. Even if Brooks wasn't double teamed on the last play. He either has to go right and shot a fadeaway or shot over Yao.
    Teams like Spurs and Lakers will always find a way to finish games Even if Kobe is not taking the shot.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Francis actually hit a few 3s to tie/win games coming off a pick from Yao just like Brooks did, but Ron wasn't there to mess it up and they weren't against tim duncan.

3. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

There are plenty of reasons to be mad after tonight's game and it hurt that we couldn't make that last 3 pointer, but your basic assumption is just false. We have made several 3s when the game is on the line. Shane in Denver and Yao in Charlotte jump to mind just in the last few games.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

what are you talking about? luther head made TONS of them for a 2yr period. well, until he faced the jazz.

novak made a few (remember that game winner)

and battier has made a few with passes from mcgrady.

and goodness, yao made one v. the bobcats ;)

but again, great teams should never rely on 3s with the game on the line as consistently as we do. you'll make some, but more often than not, you'll miss them (well, unless you have sam, kenny, max, and horry :D ).

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think he meant like on the last posession or closing seconds so i didnt use those as examples. I do have to kind of agree with him that we've had issues getting off good shots in when it comes to last second attempts the last 2 years, but we've had some prior to that.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I completely forgot about Novak's shot...and luther too...did he ever actually hit a shot to win a game at the buzzer? i think i only remember shots lik with a minute or several seconds left :confused:

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i don't care what anyone says, luther is one of my fav rockets of all time. i think those jazz series just KILLED him. and our lack of depth at guards while he was here made coaches play him and tell him to do things he just wasn't good at.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v_s7l57v_Ko&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v_s7l57v_Ko&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

he made the game winner here w/ 12s to go. and man that year, luther made his share of clutch shots.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Rafer hitting shots, chuck posting up and scoring over Brand, for a moment there i thought you posted a fake video :D

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

One answer could be is that Barry and Wafer are often not on the court at this time! Also that Battier has lost it! :p

10. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

remember von wafer's 3 in boston earlier this season?

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Battier hits the clutch threes man.

He'll miss EVERY SHOT before that...but he hits that one shot pinned in the corner, straddling the baseline, fading away...drains em'

Battier should have shot that last 3, Spurs would not have expected it and he would have drained it i'm telling you. Wouldn't make the next 10 shots in the next game...but that one he would have drained.

12. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

Look basically Tmac is our best 4th quarter finisher whether he takes the shot or he sets up someone, lets face it people Tmac was our best closer and always will be

13. fmp087

fmp087 Member

We have no definite go-to-guy at the end of games.

14. aleezy2011

aleezy2011 Member

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E3KOnpBXfZA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E3KOnpBXfZA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Barry was in the game last night. He tried to chuck one up at the buzzer but was late (he missed anyway).

17. OlajuwonShake34

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GHKWJ8yCqBE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GHKWJ8yCqBE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UaV130DG6Pw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UaV130DG6Pw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

18. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

i love clutch 3's so exciting..

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

Because the three was bricked instead of made.

20. OlajuwonShake34

Because our intangibles don't include hitting the 3 ball.