1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why aren't you guys into hockey?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by redefined, May 5, 2008.

1. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I'm just curious to know your reasoning behind it. It's one hell of a sport. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed myself like this. Fast pace, low scoring, hard hitting, shots on goal, unbelievable goal-tending!

If these guys played with as much intensity as they do in the playoffs in the regular season, this would easily be my favorite sport.

I've watched about 45-50 Stars games and attended 7 games so far this year. I've watched every game of the playoffs and whatever other matches they air on VS HD.

I didn't care enough to discuss this before and I usually don't feel it necessary to share great experiences, but you guys are truly missing out. It seems like after every game I watch I say to myself "that was the best game I've ever seen."

You got to give it to these players. They aren't wimps. Even though they wear pads, it still takes a toll when you block a shot or fall on the ice. They always play with intensity and heart, and they are allowed to fight! There is only one timeout per period, and the best part, never has anyone blamed the refs for a loss.

What a sport!

2. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Meh. Texans don't dig hockey. This is football and baseball country. And we like following our local players. Hard to do that with a roster full of Canadians and Russians.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think I would be a hockey fan too if I were to move from Houston to Dallas and forsaken a 2-Time NBA championship team to root for an NBA team whose postseason is shorter than their city's NHL's postseason.

4. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i considered starting a thread. this is a great game.

5. WildSweet&Cool

off the top of my head...

1) I enjoy watching a live hockey game once a year, but it doesn't transfer to TV well at all. The puck moves around so much that it's difficult to watch

2) Growing up in Houston, it's difficult for me to relate to ice skating. I'm not saying that it's impossible to ice skate in Houston, it's just not something that's rooted in our culture.

3) possession of the puck changes too quickly and too often. This gives an impression of little puck control and little strategic development in the game.

4) I wasn't a huge hockey fan before the strike. What little interest I had in it was certainly killed when the strike was around, and I honestly haven't regained any of that interest.

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

It comeson Vs. I get that channel, but i never think about turning to it. Vs. and FSN have the worst sports programming. i wonder how they're still around, especially FSN

7. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I'm not interested in hockey because Houston doesn't have an NHL team. I can actually sit through a game on TV...but will lose interest because I have no connection to the teams.

8. rodrick_98

cause FSN owns just about every local baseball and basketball contract. if there were multiple stations in the same market broadcasting the game, FSN would certainly be the 2nd choice.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Hockey is a great sport. Probably the biggest appeal is that it's pretty much non-stop action. Subs occur on the fly. Players play about 1:30 - 2 minutes and then get subbed out and this allows them to go full bore when they're on the ice. And sudden death overtime in the playoffs is awesome. I follow the Flyers and remember a 3OT playoff game vs Toronto in 2003 and a 5 OT game vs Pittsburgh in 2000 which was the 3rd longest game ever and the longest in 67 years. Philly won both of those games.

I also remember that epic Dallas/Buffalo 3 OT Game 6 that won them the Stanley Cup.

I have a photo of me with the cup around here somewhere.

10. rodrick_98

epic indeed. my friends and i woke some neighbors up from our early morning celebration.

[​IMG]

11. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

My dad's from Detroit so hockey is on daily whenever I'm back home.

Red Wings are awaiting the winner of this series. This is a great game, though. It's only game 6, too!

I love almost all sports but I'm not sure anything comes close to the thrill of an OT hockey playoff game (especially a game 7). It just can't be beat.

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Must admit... don't follow hockey EVER... but this game is intriguing.

Will it end? :eek:

13. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Because no one else does. I do BTW.

AND HOUSTON DOESN"T HAVE A TEAM!

14. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I wish I was at this game right now. Can you imagine being at a National sporting event a 1:20am? This thing will never end.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Detroit vs Colorado in the mid 90s was sweet.

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

It would be awesome if the Penguins moved down here.

We would have the best young player in the league.

17. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Light the lamp!

Power play goal...

Going to Detroit!

Like I care. :rolleyes: :p ;)

18. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I've heard that hockey is MUCH more interesting and fun to watch in person. My girlfriend and I caught a high school game at memorial city mall one time, and I admit it was fun watching.

You can see ALL the action on the ice. On TV, there's a VERY limited view. Plus, you can hear the shaving of the ice, the skates, the sticks, the checks, and you can feel the cool air from the ice in person.

I don't know the first thing about hockey or its rules other than Martin Brodeur, Sidney Crosby, and Alexander Ovechkin. The NHL should be thanking the Heavens for Crosby and Ovechkin...they're the ones that got nonfans like myself to look. I know Brodeur because he plays for Jersey, and he's one of the greatest goalies.

19. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Heck yeah, I'd watch hockey if they moved here with Crosby.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Basketball and Football,,,,,, Ice is far from appealing to me.......