1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are you attached to our rookies?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LewLLOYD, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Because postbadlee told me Royce White will be Lebron, Jeremy Lamb will be Reggie Miller, and Terrence Jones will be a lesser Dwight...

I wish we could have gotten Jeffrey Taylor too. He's gonna be better than James Harden on offense and a more athletic Battier on defense.

2. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I am on the realists side as well. Everyone sees what OKC did and they assume that all we have to do is tank draft high a few years and "we can be the next OKC", well it isn't that simple. Just ask Golden St., Sacremento, or even the pre Blake Griffin Clippers.

No matter what Chad Ford, Jonathan Feigen, or even Woj says about a prospect, the chances of that drafting that player and hoping they turn into a superstar are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH lower than bringing in a player that is ALREADY a superstar.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If 2-3 of them did turn out to be all-stars, Morey would be hailed as genius -- provided that he didn't trade them for a Howard rental.

4. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I don' think that they are future all stars that are gonna vault us into a 50 win season but I like their potential and skill sets. This is the first season in a while that we don't know what we have. But I like Lamb as a gunner, Jones as rebounder and defender, Donuts as an active big with range, and Royce White as swiss army knife do-it-all type player. Morey was able to draft Landry, Brooks, Budinger, and Parsons when all of the other teams passed on them so I can see the reason for optimism.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

He will never be hailed as a Genius.

Morey regularly drafts players in the 2nd round (Landry, Bud, Parsons) with Lottery talent. He regularly makes trades for undervalued players (Dragic, Lowry, Scola) that turn into studs. He is usually able to turn players that we no longer want that most think have no value (TMac, Battier, Bud, Hill) into 1st round picks. He has made major trade deadline trades (Landry for KMart).

Posters here still complain and call for DM to get fired.

1 person likes this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I could see 2 of Lamb, Motie and Jones becoming all-stars.

7. Arthurprescott2

It's always more interesting to watch rookies grow and hope they succeed. Easier to root for them too. Harder to connect with players who have been around a while and have baggage.

8. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

T.Jones is going to be the best of our rookies.

9. Cycl1

Cycl1 Member

Go watch his game against kentucky. White is top 5ish in draft if not for mental health issues and the minnesota fiasco. He was also just starting to get his game back at this time. The rockets had a hell of a draft

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I agree. He is the isht, but still on the Rockets rookie ladder, he is #4.

11. Cycl1

Cycl1 Member

Depends on how you use him, get him comfortable and give him the rock, play to his strengths, and he can be something special.

12. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

I'm attached because:
    1) at the least it appears there are 3 or 4 quality role players which will be affordable for 4+ years, leaving room to fill in the "holes" with stars
    2) I view two out of three of Dmo/Lamb/White as potential all-stars

I'm not as high on the summer league play of Jones as others have been, but hopefully I'm wrong. He's not strong enough to handle the post, not quick enough to defend on the perimeter. That doesn't mean he can't create some matchup problems due to his deceptively quick first step - but in my opinion it limits his upside to quality bench player.

13. Apps

Apps Member

The explanation is simple. It has nothing to do with unrealistic, grandiose expectations or delusions of grandeur, it is simply because they're ours. They didn't come into this league wearing any other jersey than that of the Houston Rockets. Trades always leave a bitter taste in my mouth because I can't help but be painfully aware that, this guy for however long, was on another team that wasn't named the Houston Rockets. But with these new rookies, it's almost like we've ushered in a new generation that is not only nominally attached to Houston, but is ours in every realistic way possible. We can watch these players grow; some might be good, some might be bad, one or two might even be great, but when push comes to shove they will always have been a Houston Rocket as long as they were drafted by us and played by us.

I'm attached to them because the only thing they know is the Houston Rockets, and the only thing I know is the Houston Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  14. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I'm not attatched yet. It's like naming a puppy you don't know if you'll keep.

15. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I'll ship them out for Dwight in a heartbeat. I am attached to that Toronto pick and next years pick.

16. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

That was a lot of words for a simple explanation. :)

17. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

I'm attached because I liked the way they played together.

Doesn't matter to me which one scores more, or which gets higher accolades. I like watching the team concept generally, and I liked how these guys meshed. Complimentary skill sets. All good passers. All like to run.

Something tells me we selected them because each was "best available", but somehow we accounted for how they would mesh. I mean, if they play well together they increase their value more, right?

18. Grape_Swisha281

i look at it like this. Lamb was drafted for his potental (2 years to blossum) White was drafted on his skill set for his size (4-5 years to blossum) T Jones was drafted now to play rotational mins.. i like what Morey did, Young role player now, Young scorer who can develop and skilled big man to develop while the rest of the young guys do their thing.

19. albuster

albuster Member

They could become good assets for the next trades.

20. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

I don't think they intended their draft picks to turn out this way, but that it was simply coincidence. However, it's great that they fit into such unique roles.