1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Are Minorities "Proud" of their Heritage and does that Pride Cause Problems?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Svpernaut, Dec 13, 2012.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This is also true.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Why are Texans proud to be Texans?:eek:

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm proud of my heritage. I'm more proud to be an American though.

I know subtle truths in what it means to be a minority. I see it in the mirror each day. The representation asians get in the media is also different than other races and vice versa. Same applies to initial reactions with new people.

Tuning all that out is denying the current reality. I'm a big fan of accepting it and improving the situation though.

I know enough to recognize that I'm partial to my own team. Mention the Drexler trade and you'll connect with me more than talking about Shaq or LeBron. I might talk trash but I'm not gonna hate about it though.

I also understand that people have had a lot less than me and have nothing to go by except for the love of their nation, blood or heritage, but there are also those who have more and are just as bad. And there are those who exploit it to get by.

Instead of wishing it away and pretending or praying it doesn't exist, you gotta confront it head on. Staying in our comfort zones is partly responsible for this.

4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

George Carlin approves this message.

Well they did just clinch the AFC South. That's something to be proud about.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Don't worry, just keep it warm for the Colts until next year. :grin:

6. Major

Major Member

While true, it doesn't really fit reality. I think Germans take pride in being German, just as French people are proud of being French, and Americans are "proud to be American". Pride isn't really a rational idea.

7. Svpernaut

Race ≠ nationality. Again, you don't choose to be white or black but you can choose to be American or Canadian... not by birth but certainly by choice. Countries also provide and or support others, which is something you can take pride it because a country can act, while a race can't.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

But that is only true of a 47% segment of American society, right?

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

Depends on the race. I'm white, so I'm well aware of where my ancestors come from and what nationalities I am (and aren't). For a black guy, whose ancestry is largely unknown, and whose ancestors (and even ancestral homeland) were stripped of cultural heritage, he has no nationality to be proud of, but he has his race. That's why African-American culture is so pronounced.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I had a similar thought, of Southerners who are proud of their heritage. It's hard to do with the shadow of slavery hanging over it, but if you're born Southern, it can be hard to turn your back on your heritage all the same. And others will take offense and think you should be ashamed and conflate Southernness with racism and put pressure on you to denounce your heritage. But not everything about Southern culture is bad.

Of course, there is a bad way to be proud of being a Southerner. Embracing the racism of the past, trying to foist identities on others and enforce conformity, or having prejudicial attitudes against people who aren't Southern or giving preferential treatment to those who are -- those are probably bad ways to show pride in being Southern, and are more or less equivalent to a black person only befriending blacks, automatically voting for Obama, calling all white people racists, and calling blacks who don't do those things Uncle Toms.

11. amaru

amaru Member

Your not born with "race". "Race" is a social construct that has little biological or genetic basis.

Get it right.

12. Svpernaut

I'm not proud to be southern, due to the racial reasons and the stupidity that still prevails in the south... like the rebel flag in state flags like Mississippi.

I am proud to be Texan because I feel that we are a state that is self-governed rather than coddled. Which leads us to easily be the most prosperous state in the nation. The history of Texas and the Republic of Texas is also quite worth of pride.

I'm proud to be a Houstonian for the same reasons, but also adding on that we are a tolerant city that is truly a cultural melting pot. We are the southern belle with added sophistication. A truly unique city and group of people. I travel around the country 40+ weeks a year, and there truly is no place like Houston.

13. Major

Major Member

Doesn't matter. Nationality is something people are born with. If they change nationalities later in life, they may change their pride, or they may carry it with them. That said, it's still something that people are born with and proud of - which was the whole point.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iIkNsj6cDGc#t=0m30s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 people like this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No one is proud of their nationality unless they are "taught" to be proud of it. It has nothing to do with birth.

16. VanityHalfBlack

It's not chili if it has beans in it!

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Wait, are white people not proud of their heritage?

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

White people were a little too excited about Braveheart for my taste.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Let's not get carried away here.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You can be proud to be part of a particular social group that supports one another and, in some way, contributes to the success of others within that group.

If someone is proud to identify themselves with a particular group, but they aren't particularly contributing to the success of individuals within that group, then that makes little sense.