1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Are Minorities "Proud" of their Heritage and does that Pride Cause Problems?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Svpernaut, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Sverpaunt's point aside, I've always felt that argument is silly. All of those were built by men with power. Yes, the masses chipped stone and whatever, but the masses are inherently replaceable. The will and drive to do those sorts of projects? That isn't. America would look fundamentally different without Rockefeller or Carneigie and their desire to create, just as it would have looked different if Grant or Lincoln never existed.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't buy that time travel what-if argument either. The world would be different without leaders like Hitler our Stalin, but you don't see me focusing on that aspect of destructive power making a fuss about it.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The individuals in the masses may be replaceable but the masses aren't. You're making an essentially Randian argument that while yes it take people with vision to make things happen it still takes labor to do it. Imhotep is credited as the architect of the pyramids but he didn't create the pyramids themselves.

Also if you are going to uphold the great man with power as the mover of history consider that that cuts both ways. What if Hitler or Stalin didn't have all that power?

[edit] I see Invisible Fan had the same thought as me.

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I never said it was racism nor do I felt it. I merely state that it's kind of hard not think about your culture/ethnicity when it makes you unique from your surroundings. I also don't think the southern heritage is overblown, but people are proud of where they came from. What was the story about Colt McCoy's dad putting dirt under him so he can be born on Texas soil? I also think it's jut fine.

I'm glad you don't feel any different in each place. I'm merely pointing what makes this country unique is the fact that so many individuals are unique and we should celebrate that.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

Man, I don't know what to say. You need to look at yourself a little more.
    I really enjoy chatting with people with different cultural backgrounds and classes. Try to understand them more, listen more, instead of quickly judging. I think this is your problem not others, and you have to deal with it yourself.

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I've met my fair share of poor people in my life, I grew up poor. Everyone I grew up with who was poor who put their mind to it, are doing well for themselves. Those that didn't, aren't doing well. Are they always 100% to blame? No, but work ethic plays plays a huge part. There are MILLIONS of people on welfare who do not work or choose not to work, the statistics can be found at CBO.gov.

I said nothing about becoming wealthy from working hard. I said working hard pays off. Glad you brought relevant examples in to the discussion, what a ridiculous post. What do slaves have to do with 2012?

Not sure what any of this has to do with a discussion or racial pride.

For the last time. I do not have a problem with it, go nuts celebrating. I brought this up because of the RGIII mess was certainly bringing race relations to the forefront of the news, but the tragedy of today will definitely kick it to the back burner as it should, so I'm done with it.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Oh yeah, you have a problem that you dont admit. Why are you even bothered by that?

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I don't have a problem, simply brought up an issue that blew up overnight (comments about RGIII) and provided what I thought to be the best work around (Morgan Freeman's response). I don't care. I don't have a heritage I can celebrate, I've never met anyone other than my grandparents and they are all dead. What I know about my heritage I investigated online and I only know names, I know nothing about them. Celebrate all you want, go nuts.

9. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

The "masses" are inherently replaceable, but men with power (I had to highlight that) aren't? This kind of extreme kow-towing to the owners of capital is the kind of attitude that fosters so many problem.

People with money and power do not have an iron-clad correlation with the best thinkers and producers, as Nikola Tesla, Alan Turing, Jane Goodall, Lise Meitner, Jonas Salk, and Norman Borlaug can attest to.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Exactly.

There are factions within these minority communities who perpetuate racism, frankly because it helps them -- it "gets them free stuff" like preferred admittance into universities and jobs, special scholarships, special events for them, etc. Quannel X for example thrives when he can fan racial flames. You've got cottage industries built just to fan racial flames, in fact. It's sick.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Are you trully, without doubt, color blind? Don't answer it. If you are, I can understand your frustration. There is a double standard. No dobut. But given the past history of race issue in this country, I at least can live with that dobule standard.
    BTW, why don't you have a heritage? You have an American heritage! Or whatever it is to you.
    Don't get me wrong, this is still one of the best countries in treating everybody equally. But for a long time, the ungency to get immgrants from other countries lie their loyalty with their newly adopted country really narrow a lot of things. You hear teachers say to school kids heritage this and that, implying a subjugation over other cultures. I acutally really respect people with ties to Mexico, India, Iran, etc. for keeping a strong sense and identity of their home cultures. Recognize the differences, recognize past race issues, and I hope it will make a little sense to you.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

We all know Racism towards Blacks ended after the 13th amendment was put in place in 1865.

Jesus man have you ever taken a U.S. history class?

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

On my phone so I can't post it, but George Carlin did a routine on this issue. It is my position exactly.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Ah, it didn't take long before the Quannel X and the "minorities just want free stuff" crowd arrived.

15. Nook

Nook Member

You are missing the point... Those masses that built those creations certainly were not lazy, mostly because they couldn't be, it was very hard work.. so to say they poor are poor because they are lazy through history is simply not accurate.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Do I really need to go through the effort of pulling up your quotes over the last few days? You said for " centuries" the poor were poor because they are lazy. You then said the same thing today.

I grew up poor as well, I was at one point raised by Jesuits. Most poor people have jobs and work hard. They are typically treated poor because they are poor and minorities or immigrants. Your ignorance is troubling. There are lazy poor people like anyone else but your assumptions are pathetic.

17. amaru

amaru Member

*Sigh* Where to start.

1) We are the world's MAJORITY.......get it right.

2) Being proud of who you are doesn't mean you necessarily hate others...that is just a pathetic leap of logic on your part.

3) You DO NOT ignore race......I mean you just started a ****ing thread based on race. You notice it and it is just as much a part of your life as it is for everybody else. Stop that "holier than thou" nonsense.

4) WTF does the majority of the U.S. population arriving after the Civil War have to do with anything? I wasn't aware ALL discrimination ended after the Civil War. I guess you didn't pay attention in school when they taught students about Reconstruction, Jim Crow and the Civil Rights movement. Read a book!

5) I'm calling bull***** on the whole "you weren't a part of segregation so you can't be mad about it". Ever heard the expression that history repeats itself. It is RECKLESS and IRRESPONSIBLE to suggest that people should forget the atrocities of the past because by forgetting about them and acting like they never happen to soothe your guilty conscience (idk why you feel guilty) doesn't allow people the opportunity to LEARN from those mistakes. My Father grew up during segregation.....he SAW "white only" drinking fountains. He WENT to segregated schools and SAW FIRST HAND that "separate but equal" was a LIE! You don't think that had an effect on the man he became and HOW he raised his children?!?! Your a damn fool if you think it didn't!

Unfortunately Race cannot be ignored. This is a society that was built with the idea of racial inferiority of non-white people in mind....remnants of that still survive today.

I have much more to say.....but I will hold off on it and see where this thread goes.

1 person likes this.
  18. Ender00

Ender00 Member

I sort of understand the OP intention on starting this thread. I am a non-white, English is not my first language but I have made a life for myself. I am not rich by any mean but I know if u work hard in this country you could at least become a middle class, like myself. I did encounter some racism when I was younger, from all races, but you can not let that stop you. I do wonder why some people can not achieve what I did despise being born here and have many more advantages than me.

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You simply cannot argue with the fact that it's true. If there weren't factions that perpetuated these beliefs, then the "free stuff" would come to an end. It's in their best interest to keep it going.

No slaves are alive today, they're leaning on what they understand from their great great grandfathers....

20. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

They don't want free stuff? While mexicans are collecting welfare paid by taxpayers, they are sending their $20 BILLION/yr to Mexico. Their grocery bill and medical care is paid by us, so they don't need to pay for it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#100 BetterThanEver, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012