1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Are Minorities "Proud" of their Heritage and does that Pride Cause Problems?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Svpernaut, Dec 13, 2012.

1. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you want him to do this?
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n1z2rCuC0W0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I wanted to post, but I really didn't know where to begin...

Big, BIG, HUGE, amounts of respect, admiration, and thanks to FranchiseBlade and SC1211. Great posts by both of you in this thread. Thanks for taking the time to type well thought out responses laden with logic and understanding.

Rep Given.

3. da1

da1 Member

Fear and paranoia is what caused Italian, German, and Japanese to basically lose 99% of their speakers in this country over a period of a single generation.

4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I appreciate the thought out response. I didn't post this with the intention of having my mind changed, nor of changing any minds. I just want to get a better understanding. I am well aware of the struggles that people of color have. I know as a white guy, I've basically hit the jackpot as Louis CK so eloquently put it. With that said, I feel I have a right to talk about race issues without be labeled a racist or insensitive b*stard.

I spent 12 straight weekends in the south this year traveling for college football. I spent a good majority of that time in Jackson, MS. And yes, every time I look at the Mississippi state flag I think it is r****ded that it still has the Confederate flag on it. My family and I actually had a lengthy debate about how stupid and insensitive it was. With that said, I know racism still exists (especially in the south) but hopefully it is slowly getting better.

Like you said, I know how it feels to come from poverty and I actually believe that is easy to make something of yourself in this country. All it takes is hard work. You don't have to win the jackpot, you just have to outwork the competition. To me, if it is clearly defined what it takes to succeed, I don't consider it difficult. This is again, an area I agree strongly with Bill Cosby's opinions.

Do people of color have to work extra hard to "make it?" Depending on the circumstances I have no doubt that many of them do, but I also know plenty of people of color who don't use that as an excuse to give up. There are minority success stories all over this country, they aren't flukes. I don't care what color you are, if you work your ass off and continue to grow as a person you will succeed. So no, in that regard I do not have empathy for those with the "whoa is me" attitudes.

I can't change the past, so I'm not going to feel guilty about it because I had nothing to do with it. I am shameful of what our country has done, but I am also proud of where it is going.

A lot of this is going to change over time. As time passes, people are going to skew the racial and cultural lines through interracial marriage and racial attrition. Eventually we are going to be a melting pot, simply because we let people in regardless of race or creed.

I just see it, even in our name. We are the United States of America, yet we still refer to each other by our hyphenated cultural divides, and that is baffling to me personally.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Gee, I wonder where I got the idea that this is breaking down into political (partisan) lines? Certainly not that this is the politics discussion area. Or that you (a conservative Republican) and Commodore (a conservative Republican) both side together while others argue against.

And the observation that Obama is "half black and half white"? Gee, I wonder which side of the political spectrum tends to raise that as a discussion point?

As a minority and someone that has experienced discrimination first-hand, this discussion is more than a hypothetical. And while I do identify myself as an American" first, I also believe my self identification hasn't changed how others act. Ignoring lines won't change that.

6. Svpernaut

That's exactly it. I've personally never seen this, and would have loved to have seen it on the campaign trail this year.

7. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He also says it around the 1:15 mark too.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RleMMdzMG60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Obama doesn't like to bring up race (others do it more than him). Your idea that people should work hard and identify as Americans isn't incompatible with recognizing distinct cultural groups as well.

8. Svpernaut

LOL! This response is awesome. I love how you point out I must be short sighted because of my political views. That's not at all judging a book by it's cover. You know, like something racists do?

Experiencing discrimination first-hand isn't limited to just minorities. I've been discriminated upon many times in my life, as much as a black man? No, but those situations allow me to empathize with that fact.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Imagine going through 12 years of history and only seeing someone that looked like you . . . in chains.

Black History [without black history month] -
    They were savages
    They were happy slaves
    They were freed
    They got Martin Luther King

Woman's history Month
    They were drown for being witches
    They had Betsy Ross
    They got the Vote

Latino History Month
    Texas defeated Santa Ana
    Cinco De Mayo
    Immigration

Without these 'months'
    History is a white wash of glossed over facts that don't dig into the true history

Rocket River
    That has been my experience

2 people like this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think the problem is that you think you have to be black to celebrate, for example, the triumph of Dr Martin Luther King.

It was not a triumph of people of a certain color. It was a triumph of oppressed people who shared the same color because of the oppressor. Remember a very small group of non-blacks participated in that struggle and shared that triumph although the oppression did not necessarily affect them. Blacks didn't care about their skin color, they cared about their circumstances. It is a triumph for all people who are oppressed and a blueprint for success. Tomorrow if the same things happen to Asians, the triumphs are totally relevant to them.

As for whether it's appropriate to celebrate the accomplishments of a person's heritage, I say only if it's celebrated as a triumph from a humanistic point of view. Otherwise, no. For example, celebrating the British monarchy, to me, is incredibly disgusting because it ignores how many more people suffered from it than benefitted from it.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you are failing to see that the US isn't one singular culture but is a plurality. We are a nation of immigrants and I see nothing wrong with being a hyphenated American. I don't see that as being anymore of a problem than me still considering myself a Texan even though I have lived in Minnesota for 15 years.
    I don't believe you are a racist but I think you are being somewhat naive about this. If were just up to Obama to consider himself as just an American then there would've been no Birther movement.

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'd like to hear what Baylorbear09 has to say on this issue. Where are you Baylorbear09?

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am not pointing out you are short sighted because of your political views, but rather because of your postings here (seriously, did you cite Drudge as a source earlier in this thread?). I am highlighting that there is a political and partisan split here.

And while I am sorry you have been discriminated against (I'd be curious in what form... I am hoping you won't say "I was discriminated from getting a job because I wasn't a minority"), but IMO it won't be the same as being discriminated against due to race, nationality, religion, gender. Because if you did, you wouldn't suggest ignoring your heritage as a way to lessen discrimination.

14. Svpernaut

I don't think there is anything wrong celebrating your culture or being hyphenated... I just believe that doing so may actually hinder progress. I don't personally have an answer, just seeking a better understanding.

Obviously it's not up to Obama to fix this, or to take a stand either way. I just used that as an example of someone who could have, and seeing the videos posted I see he has several times, which is fantastic.

As far as the birther movement goes, I personally don't know of anyone who believes that crap and I know hundreds of Conservatives. Again, there are plenty of morons out there but they are the exception, not the norm.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Frankly this is very naive. We have great opportunities in this country and it is very important that we work hard to make the most of those opportunities but hard work alone doesn't guarantee success no matter what race or background you are.

Race and ethnic mixing have gone on in America since before it was even a country and we still are a pluralistic society. For that matter the more access we have to information doesn't even things out but creates more opportunities to create our own tribal cultures, for example Clutchfans is it's own tribe. Just adding more diverse people is liking to create more tribalism than less.
    The fact though that "United" is in the name shows that we are pluralistic. 'E pluribus unum' our national motto means "out of many one," that recognizes that we are many but that we come together to build one country. That isn't the same as saying that we all subsume ourselves to a single national culture but a recognition that a diversity of groups can work together.

16. Svpernaut

I didn't cite Drudge as a source... considering that all his site is is a link aggregate. I pointed out that since it was on Drudge, it will be in mainstream news tonight. His site dictates the tone of American news, and that is fact.

I went to Jackson Intermediate in Pasadena TX as a white kid. The school was more than 3/4ths Hispanic when I went. I was beat up and picked on for several years for being the only white kid in class. I know how it feels.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As both a white man and a black woman he has a unique viewpoint.;)

18. Svpernaut

I completely disagree, and I have no doubt there tens of thousands of successful people who will agree with me. Of course some people are in circumstances that are just too much to overcome, but the vast majority of people can succeed if they put there mind to it. Call me naive, but seeing as I lived it I don't think I am.

We have evolved as a society, and seek our tribes out elsewhere... thus the reason competitive sports are so popular. Sure ethnic mixing went on in the past, but like gay marriage it is becoming more of a norm and people won't think twice about it. I think it will increase exponentially over the next generation.

I was trying to use that as a metaphor, not trying to make an eloquent point Apologies.

19. Nook

Nook Member

He has said it a number of times (not sure why he needs to). You see what you want to see and make assumptions that support your position.

20. Svpernaut

Yup, you know me so well! Thanks for the insightful response, it added great value to the conversation!