1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why All the Titan Hating?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by giddyup, Jan 8, 2006.

1. giddyup

giddyup Member

Maybe if I was still in Houston, I'd feel more like some of you do. As it is they moved closer to me, although they still can't upend the Pats or the Dolphins for our regular AFC televised game.

2. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Member

Just because you watch other teams play besides your favorite team does not mean you are being disloyal to your favorite Houston teams. How can you just stop watching the NBA and NFL playoffs cold turkey once your team is out? Yeah it hurts when they lose and it takes time to get over but there are still great games going on to watch. Unless you don't really like sports and only route for your home teams for the sake of supporting your city, there's no reason to quit watching.

3. msn

msn Member

This I agree with completely, and posted as much a few months ago.

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

Bud wouldn't allow it because he owns the rights. I would have loved to see the Oilers return as well. I still think the "Texans" is lame but they are my team and I support them regardless. I do think that the logo and colors are kick ass.

5. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Member

A co-worker e-mailed me this. Damm, it is kind of wrong!

2006 TEXANS SCHEDULE
    September 14................Taft Junior High School
    September 21................Cub Scout Troop #101
    September 28................Houston Blind Academy
    October 05.....................Spanish American War Vets
    October 12.................... Crippled Children's Home
    October 19.................... Montgomery Mental Hospital
    October 26.................... Girl Scout Troop # 353
    November 02.................Texas Venereal Disease Clinic
    November 09.................Sugarland Boys Choir
    November 16.................Korean Amputees

SPECIAL MONDAY NIGHT GAME
    December 08..................Cypress Gay Boys Club

** RULE CHANGES FROM LAST YEAR **
    1 - When playing polio patients, the Texans must not disconnect knee braces.
    2 - When playing the Blind Academy, the Texans must not hide the football under their jerseys.

** RULES THE SAME FROM LAST YEAR **
    1 - A touchdown (this is when the ball is carried over the goal line for all you Texans fans that have never seen this) it is still worth 6 points.
    2 - The Texans will be allowed 20 men on the field at all times.
    3 - The Texans will be allowed to substitute with band members at anytime.
    4 - The Texans will be awarded 10 timeouts as opposed to 3 for the opposing team.
    5 - The Texans will be awarded a first down with each gain of three yards or more, instead of the usual ten yards.

6. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Member

I didn't say it was being disloyal to watch and root for other teams. I just choose not to watch the playoffs when my team is out (the Rockets). I barely have enough time to watch any of my teams, much less other teams. When my teams are out, I'll catch what happened in the paper or online but I'm just not as into it anymore. I'll watch the finals, super bowl, world series, etc. but I just don't go out of my way to watch after my teams are out.

7. Mr. Brightside

haha, thats awesome!!

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

Cleveland was devastated when they lost their team. On the other hand, Houston didn't care. That's why people felt sorry for Cleveland. They really WANTED their team to stay.

There was no outrage in the city of Houston leading up to the Oilers' departure, none. Some public pressure put on the mayor to keep the team surely would have helped. But there was none. You had a mayor repeating the line "no taxpayer money!" over and over and an apathetic city who didn't want to be associated with a "loser" anymore.

But Adams will die soon - that's a fact. The Oilers didn't have to. Houston decided trying to keep the Oilers wasn't worth Bud benefitting from it. **** Houston.

9. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

You are delusional. Bud held Houston hostage every couple of years. It is not difficult to prove has a classless loser Bud Adams really is.

10. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Member

I don't even know where to begin with this...

11. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

We love our football here in Houston. However after seeing what Bud Adams did to our beloved Astrodome and him wanting a new toy after he got sick of it, there's no way in our right minds would we give him his "Bud Dome" at our expenses. I hope Bud Adams die soon so I can take a whiz on his game.

12. MadMax

MadMax Member

- He signed an exclusive agreement to negotiate only with Tennessee; he told Lanier about this AFTER he signed it.

- We were still paying the interest on the loans to "improve" the Dome to keep him from moving to J-Ville just a few years earlier; initially no one thought he was serious, because of that

- He engineered a preposterous dome deal that would include the Rockets as a tenant. When asked if he would go for it, Les Alexander said, "of course not...and I never told him I would." Of course, Bud's presentation to the city omitted that fact

- Lanier offered him an open-air stadium...he rejected it

- Not one person in the business community stood up to help. No one did. Bud had been here for 30-40 years by that point. Not one friend stood up to lobby for him or pledge any support. Because he didn't have any friends to point to.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't think I could have put it any better
    [other than the horns Comment ... being an Aggie ;) ]

Rocket River
    but like that maroon shirt with the horns bandaided up . . . just this time ;)

14. JoeBarelyCares

I don't hate the Titans or Bud. We did alright - we got three new stadiums because he left. Each of the stadium votes squeeked through, and probably never would have passed had we not already lost a team. We might not even have the Rockets had not Bud left. And the Texans are still a better organization than any Bud-run organization ever will be. You can just visit the tailgating before one game and come to that realization.

Besides, the Oil-derrick was cursed. That organization didn't get to the Super Bowl until they took it off the side of their helmet.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

They won 2 championships with the Oil-derrick and lost in a 3rd......

DD

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They still didn't get to a Super Bowl.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No doubt, but they were up near the top for many years.....

and had a chance to go....

How bout them Texans !!

DD

18. msn

msn Member

In other Oiler news, Warren Moon is up for HoF election this year.

Canton should be burned if he doesn't get in.

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Well you can have that selfish, dumbass, incompetent, POS, ******* and I hope that you and all the others who continue to love Bud will live happily ever after. The city of Houston screwed up NOTHING as far as I'm concerned. You conveniently chose to forget that Bottom-Line Bud ran his stadium extortion play after a 2-14 season where the Oilers set new records for futility - one in many seasons where his Oiler teams were an NFL joke.

I grew up in Houston and I too, have some history with this team. I went to their games when they played in Jeppensen Stadium (now called Robertson Stadium). I can remember when they played in Rice Stadium before moving to the Astrodome so I have the benefit of history. And under Bud Adams' ownership, the history of the Oilers was a pathetic joke and that's putting it nicely. By the time he took his act to Nashville (while conveniently putting the screws to Memphis along the way), he had long since worn out his welcome here. For decades he got the loyalty and support of long suffering Oiler fans who lived in the long shadow of that team from Dallas' success and in the end he raised his hind leg and urinated all over them and the city like the sorry dog that he was (and STILL is). I, for one, am glad he's gone and I hope his sorry ass burns in hell for all eternity alongside Art Modell's.

(The moral of the above post is to never, ever destroy the football dreams of a true fan...)

20. swilkins

swilkins Member

They did as the Titans.