1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whose side are you on, Owners or Players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by showtang043, Jun 24, 2011.

Tags:
?

The Players Vs The Owners

Poll closed Jul 1, 2011.
  1. the players are entitled to the current CBA and they should keep it for the most part

26 vote(s)
    19.3%
  2. owners,especially small market,should be in a more level playing field to keep business profitable

109 vote(s)
    80.7%
  1. showtang043

showtang043 Member

Well, now that the draft is done, everything rests on the negotiations of the CBA with the players and owners. Whose side are you on that you feel should just cave in or are asking for too much?

2. sbyang

sbyang Member

Your poll options are messed up. Small market owners need to talk to big market owners to sharing revenue. Their main problem is not with the players.

3. showtang043

showtang043 Member

yea but at this point, to regulate it, with the options we have before us, its players vs owners, so that is why this was appropriate. I probably could've reworded the details, but the general point of players v owners remains, thoughts?

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

5. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Players, though with Basketball becoming more global I wouldn't mind having a non-guaranteed contract both ways. I've said it before but in 20 years basketball could get to a point where foreign leagues can start becoming as competitive as the NBA, and lower the barrier to entry (player salaries) will just hasten that.

6. TheresTheDagger

I'm on the fans side.

7. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I would like to see a hard cap, but I don't really care which group of wealthy people wins this debate as long as it doesn't mess with the basketball season.

8. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Whichever one makes us miss less basketball.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm interested in the CBA changing to create a more level playing field between teams, so that small market teams can still compete on the basketball court. Part of the solution is for the small market teams to be more profitable, but it doesn't necessarily have to come out of the players' pockets. I think the owners need to do more revenue sharing first.

The other thing I'm interested in is tieing pay more closely to performance. I want to avoid the fan-morale-killing phenomena like albatross contracts. And, on the flip-side the exploitative value contracts from the rookie scale and restricted free agency.

I'm not on the owners side. But, not exactly in the players' corner either. I want the league's financial mechanisms to work better for parity. It doesn't matter so much where the dollars fall.

1 person likes this.
  10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Players, pending an agreement that is fair to all markets.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

The side where Miami does not win a championship. Ever.

1 person likes this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed with this. I don't care who gets more money. All I care as a fan is that they have a system that promotes good competitive basketball.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I'm on the side that wants both these idiots to agree to something so I can watch basketball.

14. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Owners only because I'm in favor of a hardcap, its the one thing I don't like about baseball.

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

Owners, which is funny, because I'm on the players side for the NFL.

I like Morey's idea. Hardcap, but remove all the other restrictions.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Reading from Woj's latest article, it looks like both sides are still VERY far apart, and the latest that we'll have games could potentially be in the winter.

17. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Follow Jared Dudley on Twitter.

He gives his opinions after each meeting.

Apparently he's part of the players union.

18. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

The owner's problems are with each other and their system of revenue sharing. Not sure why the players should have to pay for that.

19. sbyang

sbyang Member

My thoughts are that this statement is weird:

First, if the goal is to keep a business profitable, then this is easily acheivable for small market owners under the current CBA. Just see what Memphis has been doing for the last few years: keep your payroll low, be a facilitator in trades, sell some draft picks, and there's no doubt it's a profitable operation.

I'm guessing you mean keep the team competitive and the operation profitable, but that was not clear from the poll.

Second, why would the new cap will "level the playing field" more than the old cap.

If you really believe the new cap levels the playing field and improves small market teams, you are drinking the BS koolaid from Stern and the owners.

20. opticon

opticon Member

If I had to choose a side I would say owner.

I think every contract should have a 1 million dollar per year buyout built in to every contract.

Example : Rashard Lewis $19,573,711 $21,136,631 $22,699,551

The above is his salary over the next 3 years.
    The wizards should be able to give him a total of 3 mil ( a mil for every he was under-contract )

Lewis still has value around the league but no where near 19 mil a year more like 9 -10 mil a year.

The fact that Lewis is set to make over 60 mil for his level of play over the next 3 years is insane to me.

Players who are playing to the value of their contracts won't get bought out.

For some reason if a player who does still have great value gets bought out another team who wants them can pick them up at fair market value.

The current year you are playing in should be fully guaranteed. future years should be only guaranteed up to 1 mil or what ever the league minimum is set to.

The current system as is broken