1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's the worst GM in the league ?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Likemike33, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Likemike33

Likemike33 Member

there are many so-called GM's, ala scott layden, who doesn't know what they are doing. who do you think is the worst gm or gm's in the league?

2. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

This probably belongs in the NBA forum but to give it a chance, I'd say CD is one of the best GM's in terms of creating good relations with other teams but for some reason I don't feel like he is a good evaluator of talent and potential in this league.

3. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Scott Layden for sure!!! He is about as smart as a screen door on a submarine.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Is this a trick question?

As the great Big Walton would say, "Scott Layden might be a terrific human being, but he will go down in history as the worst GM in all of sports."

Why o why would NY hire him after Utah is anyone's guess.

Bob Whitsitt (sp?) from Portland Jailblazers would be a distant second. At least this guy has a knack for collecting talent. Its just the wrong sort of talent and talent no one else wants.

Then comes whoever is the GM of Wizards. I dont care who the guy is. Whoever they hire is not going to be smart and would automatically rank third on the list.

I would put Elgin Baylor up there. But it remains debatable whether he is a complete tool or that tight wad owner of his simply wont let him do his job.

#4 R0ckets03, Jun 30, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2003
  5. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Geez, I forgot all about Whitsitt. He never saw a jailbird player he didn't either want to throw money at (Ruben Patterson, chief of the Slapahoe tribe) or trade for (The Goodyear Kemp). His moves have always been baffling to me at least. Guess he never realized that no matter how much talent you have on a team, somehow, someway the pieces have to fit together.

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Over the past 15 years or so it has to be the GSW group. Bad bad drafts, bad trades of the players they did draft well, screwing players, you name it.

7. x_trepidation_x

Layden is by far the worst GM in the history of the game of the NBA. His team has a 80 million dollar pay roll, by the most in the East, and yet they can't even get into the playoffs in the Leastern Conference???

His ability to evaluate talent is about the same as a guy evaluating a chick in a bar after pile driving a 40, 4 shots, and a long island ice tea.

8. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wes Unseld?

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's a close race between Michael Jordan and Scott Layden, at least Whitsitt's team of thugs makes the playoffs. Baylor is pretty awful too, but he's with a joke of a franchise so who cares.

10. rvpals

rvpals Member

Bob Whitsitt.

Jerry Krause (after MJ Bulls' dynasty)

Scott Layden

11. tigereye

tigereye Member

I cna hear the chants of the Garden Faithful already.............................."Fi-er, Lay-den"

12. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

whoever runs things up there in Boston pre-Ainge

13. pootman00

pootman00 Member

I say CD this guy first of all is the ugliest GM (his glasses are dispiciful and his hair looks un-human). But his basket ball mistakes are unforgivable:

1. He signed the Cato Monster to a ridiculous contract after one preseason game.

2. The Worst of all he gave our team mascot a 4 million dollar contract over a bluff from Cuban (Moochie Norris = his real value is probally a buffet at Lucky Village)

3. He traded Eddie Najera for WHITE THUNDER Dan Langhi. Najera would be a fit on this team.

4. He drafted Jason "frankstien" Collier at fifteen. NOBODY knew who this stiff was. He passed on Jammal Maglooire, Bonzi wells, ect....

5. He passed up drafting Rashard Lewis for MIKSAN TURKSAN, Byrce Drew, and Mike Dickerson. TURKSAN NEVER ONCE PUT ON A ROCKET UNIFORM. Then he has the nerve to court Lewis as a free agent.

6. He used to be in love with white point guards. He gave lifetime contracts to Brent Price and Matt Maloney. I REPEAT he gave a contract to MAT maloney who was still on our books last year.

7. Under no obligation he did a sign trade for Shandon anderson forcing us to aquire Glen I have no Knees Rice.

8. He traded Scottie Pippen for a bucket of Chicken (Cato, Augmon, Shaw, and other scrubs not worhty of mention).

9. He gave Mo Taylor a long contract when every body knows MO is not a good PF compared to other PF's in the West.

10. Trading Richard Jefferson for Eddie Griffin still has not back fired all the way. But it looks worse by the minute.

11. This can go on but Im tired.

The only thing I credit him with is drafting Cat(but he is soon becoming a cancer). Drafting Yao and trading for Francis were no brainers. This guy is not creative at all. I was hoping he would have gotten canned with his tag team partner Rudy Tomdrunkavich.

AND to people say he won 2 championships; Steve patterson created those Teams.

I rest my case.

14. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Pootman --

Never post again. Thank you.

15. pootman00

pootman00 Member

the truth hurts, huh?

16. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Bonzi Wells had been in the NBA for quite some time when Collier was drafted.

His name was Mirsad Turckan.

Your points wouldn't look so stupid if you actually demonstrated that you knew something about anything.

17. pootman00

pootman00 Member

Who cares about the spelling of his name he is a nobody.

The Bonzi comment was my mistake I was meaning Quentin Richardson ( we also passed up on Turkolglu and I dont give a damn how its spelled)

Do need any more clarifications buddy. Thanks.

18. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

Pootman00 has harnessed the power of hindsight...

#18 UTweezer, Jul 1, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2003
  19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Lets take a look at Stu Jackson. He did good by drafting SAR in 96, drafted Antonio Daniels in 97,Bibby in 98, Francis in 99 even though he knew Francis didn't want to come there. He also drafted Strmile Swift even though he had SAR already there. Traded gave up a future 1st rd pick for 35yr old Thorpe. Traded SAR and Bibby bibby before leaving. He torpedoes that franchise especially in 99 because he had a solid pg in bibby and then drafted one in Francis even though guys like hamilton and Odom were still on the board. Essenstially, he drafted a pg 3 yrs in a row. He gets my vote eventhough he's not a gm right now. Gary St Jean also get a few votes.

20. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

Historically, Bernie Bickerstaff was, with the Washington Bullets, the worst GM I ever knew of. You started to think in the late 90s that the guy was getting smarter, moving from amazingly bad draft choices (from Pervis Ellison to Calbert Chaney) to Juwan Howard and Rasheed Wallace, but of course, you know how that ended.

All that said, Layden is even worse.