1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's the better player? Battier, Posey, Bowen, or Udoka

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kwame, Jul 17, 2008.

?

Who's Better?

1. Shane Battier

195 vote(s)
    68.9%
  2. James Posey

48 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. Bruce Bowen

17 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. Ime Udoka

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  5. All Four Are Basically The Same

22 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I am a Rockets fan and a realist. I don't wear your blinders. The poll asks for a specific evaluation based on the facts.

I love Battier for his basketball IQ, personality and community service. However, Bowen is money from the corner and from mid-range. Battier can hit from the corner but his lateral immobility and leaping ability limit his interior shooting. Heck, Yao can jump almost as high as Battier.

Age is the great equalizer, and next year Battier might, might surpass him. Udoka is as limited as Battier but his cost is much, much less. That gives him as much value in Morey player evaluation points.

2. Time4basketball

Not gonna argue with you there

3. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Are you kidding me? For one you're asking this in the wrong place. Ask this same question on the SA forum and i guarantee you it will be 70% Bowen. Now that said, I watch every single Rockets game possible. And to not appreciate Shane Battier (ever over Rudy Gay at this point) is ridiculous. People who only look at the stat sheet should not be allowed to post.

4. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

LMFAO! "might, might surpass him"........it's already happened.

Bowen is not the shooter your making him out to be, he doesn't have a mid-range jumper at all, all he does is camp in the corner and hit threes.......Battier has more of a rounded offensive game than Bowen (and that aint saying much), which is the reason why even though Bowen has been a better career 3pt shooter (by only .002% points).......battier is a WAY better career FG % shooter (.450 to .408.....yep that's a stellar mid range jumper that Bowen has), not to mention a hellava lot better FT shooter. So that makes you logic very faulty.

Trust me I don't have my blinders on......I saw exactly what kind've players both Battier and Bowen were last season. Bowen has become extremely overrated and had no business winning 1st team defender over Battier. Battier is better offensively and is better defensively, and better in alot of other areas and saying that doesn't make me a "homer", because its the truth....are a "specific evaluation based on the facts."

The only reason why Bowen gets pub, is because he plays on ESPN's darling Spurs.......you put Battier on the Spurs and Bowen on the Rockets...the Rockets are a worse team, the Spurs are a better team, and Battier is getting his 1st team defense award like he deserved.

5. thumbs

Your opinion is your opinion. Mine is mine.

I live in San Antonio and have League Pass. I watch all the Spurs games and all the Rockets games and many of the Celtics games (my first memories of basketball were those of Celts like Bob Cousey and John Havlicek). I disagree with you based on watching them play.

6. zforrest

zforrest Member

Bruce Bowen, because he has an ability that no other NBA player has: blatantly injure other players without getting fined or suspended. No one else can evade the refs as well as Bowen can, an intangible valuable to any team who wants to cheat.

7. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Looks like the ClutchFans Nation has spoken and has resoundingly declared Battier to be the best of the bunch. Hopefully, you voted with your mind and not your hearts! I voted for Posey.

8. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

Well I have league pass too and my girlfriend is a hardcore Spurs fan so I'm kinda stuck watching the Spurs alot of the time...

Oh well, if you don't want to believe "my opinion" and you think I have blinders on......how about the opinion of hardcore UNBIASED basketball fans around the league?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96180

Like I said, it's not even close.

9. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Who stole my thread idea? Lol.

10. thumbs

Year after year the NBA COACHES vote for Bowen for first string all-defensive team. When was Battier voted onto the first string? I rest my case.

11. rua2006

rua2006 Member

Can I just vote "not Ime Udoka"?

12. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

That means nothing, do you really think coaches put alot of thought into those things? Hell coach Pop also has one of the largest coaching trees around the league, I'm sure that helped. Battier not getting 1st team defense was the biggest snub of the year in basketball......he owned Bowen's ass in every defensive catagory and some Spurs fans felt he wasn't even the best defender on his team........his skills slipped that much last season.

The media....WHO GET PAID MONEY TO ANALYZE SPORTS, (unlike the coaches) vote for defensive player of the year.......guess who they had in the running last season........guess who wasn't in the running last season.

13. thumbs

More than sportscasters. I'm just glad we got Donte Greene so we can move Battier to Sixth Man. Greene is a much better shot, taller, longer, quicker, more athletic .... he should become the starter by mid-year. That will allow Morey to package Battier, BJax and maybe Luther to get a decent PG.

14. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

Not really, NBA coaches spend so many countless hours wrapped up in their own team they don't get to focuss on the accomplishments of other players. Most of their voting is strictly off the reputations of the player, rather than what the player is actually doing. Which is why Bowen keeps racking up these 1st team defensive awards when he is not the defender he once was. He's living off his reputation and has become somewhat overrated.

The AP on the other hand.....it's their job to study and analyze every team and every player....if they weren't good at it, they would get fired. There's a reason why it's the sports writers that cover every league and not the coaches that get to vote on the induction of players into their respective HOF's and get to (unlike the coaches) vote on league MVP's. These same people voted Shane Battier 3rd in the DPOY award and he was the highest non c/pf in the standings.......over Bruce Bowen.

He's still a good man on man defender, but so is Battier....where he fails compared to Battier is, he's not near the help defender Battier is, and he can't defend in the post the way Battier can.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

battier and posey are both significantly better than the other 2

bowen is a terrible basketbal player