1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's our starting PG next season??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Asian Sensation, Jul 15, 2014.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Big fan of Rondo, just not with Harden. Rondo is an even worse fit than Lin. Rondo needs the ball to be effective, so does Harden. Bev does not need the ball to play his best. Bev is a better fit because of his 3 point shooting as well as defense.

We need to stop focusing on their name, and focus on their game instead.

2. Asian Sensation

We can't compare Bev and Harden to the Spurs/Heat. They had other playmakers at other positions including the best player in the league. Furthermore, Pop is a genius at drawing up plays and Spoels is much better than McHale as well. As much as I hate to say it Lin was able to make some plays and he did help. Also, losing Parsons for Ariza will hurt considering Parsons is the much better playmaker.

As of now the only playmaker we have is Harden. I think we need more than just "solid help off the bench" at those positions but that's just me.

3. Asian Sensation

I'm sorry but that's just not true. Even if he didn't have James by his side they wouldn't go up by much.

I don't understand why people are so naive to thinking that Bev is something he isn't. He's a hardworker that shows great heart and hustle that plays aggressive defense but lacks ball handling skills, vision and a knack for passing to find the open man or get his teammates easy buckets. As I mentioned he had ample opportunity 30 mins per game starting the majority of the season and he only dished out 2.7 assists. That's gotta be the worst among PG's that start and get that much PT. It's not all about the numbers but you can't overlook he's severely lacking in the departments I mentioned.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Replace "aggressive defense" with "aggressive offense" in the above and you've just described Lin.

Sure, and Harden's assist numbers are among the BEST in the league for a SG.
    If you don't see a correlation between Bev's low assists and Harden's high assists, then you're simply trying NOT to.

5. Remii

Remii Member

Dude... All I said was Steve Nash wasn't Steve Nash his 1st few years in the league in response to the post... And he wasn't.

In Beverley's defense _ Parsons handled the ball as well (it wasn't just Harden). Beverley spent a lot of his time on the offensive end standing out on the 3point line. Or as the LOF's would say _ standing in the corner. With Parsons out and Trevor in Beverley may see more time with the ball.

6. haydenfisher342

i dont get this Harden needs the ball to be effective. that is if he continues to Iso. harden can shoot and drive. an offense can be built to comply with harden rondo and howard

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

He is the same guy he was last season when Houston's offense ran so much smoother with him on the court than the other guy the backed him up. A tenacious defender and a decent 3pt shooter. Harden is the primary ball handler so I just want Pat Beverly to continue playing defense and to continue to improve his 3pt shot.

8. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

9. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Also I am pretty sure that Harden played with Durant and Westbrook in OKC? Westbrook is the biggest ball hog I have ever seen. I am sure that Harden can make it work with Rondo, who actually dishes out assists.

10. dream2franchise

I hear what your saying, but isn't the idea to reduce the amount of iso situations Harden is in? If Harden is willing to move off the ball you just know Rondo will find him, not to mention he is always a threat to penetrate and score himself.

I think he can make Harden a more efficient player and help him conserve energy for (gulp) defense.

11. Remii

Remii Member

People forget how Paul Pierce played before he got Rondo.

12. Asian Sensation

Ray Allen as well. In Milwaukee and Seattle he had to do everything not by choice but because he didn't have the luxury of a player like Rondo making the game easier for him.

13. Mimex

Mimex Member

Bev no brain solution.

14. MR. BEAN

MR. BEAN Member

Bring Stephon Marbury back from CBA

15. Entropy

Entropy Member

Steve Nash was #15 pick in the draft. Nash also had this scouting report on him when he was drafted:

"Nash is a natural point guard who can distribute the ball effectively and hit the long-range jumper. He uses deceptive quickness and a superior understanding of the game to his advantage. Like all of the great point guards, Nash has uncanny court vision and a sixth sense for the game. He may be the best *true* point guard in the draft."

In comparison to Beverly:

"To make the jump to the NBA, Beverley will have to prove he can become more of a distributor. Last season, he spent a good amount of time playing the 2 guard spot, and didn’t exactly show great floor general skills while manning the point. When driving to the hoop, he seems much too focused on finding his own shot rather than breaking down the defense and finding the open man. Beverley does show some solid passing skills in the open court, and his role as a scorer might limit what he can show as a point guard, however."

Bev is what he is, an above-average defender who plays with alot of heart and who can hit the three ball and limit his turnovers. He's AB with defense and low turnovers.

But he isn't a Lowry, Rondo, or Nash by any means.

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

His first season with us he averaged 2.9 assists in only 17.4 minutes per game. That's 5.9 per36. Nothing special, but I think the big decline was more by design. The game plan didn't really offer a ton of opportunities for Bev to get assists this year. When he got the ball on offense it was generally in a catch a shoot scenario.

17. Asian Sensation

It wasn't by design. Trust me on that. It was his inability to do anything other than shoot the 3 or drive for a floater on offense. There's no other way you can explain going from 2.9 assists in 17+ minutes to 2.7 in 30+ minutes. As I mentioned you either have those natural PG skills or you don't.

It comes as no surprise to me that we're in the hunt for a REAL starting pg. Hence, why I started this thread before things got warmer the last couple of days.

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Not how I saw it.

But I am with you that an upgrade at the point should be a high priority. Bev, like I said, is nothing special as a playmaker, but I think there was a reason his assist numbers and Lins assist numbers took a dive from the previous season. Looked by design to me.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Best case scenario is Rondo.

Bledsoe would be a significant upgrade as well.

Unfortunately, I'd say there's about a 95% chance Beverley will be the starting PG at the beginning of the season.

We are simply not in a good position to trade for these guys at the moment.

20. Remii

Remii Member

I wasn't comparing Beverley to Steve Nash sir. I was saying there's a possibility he can improve because REGARDLESS of the scouting reports (which doesn't guarantee success in the NBA) _ Steve Nash wasn't Steve Nash when he 1st came in the league.

Dragic and Kyle or better examples. Never know what these players can become.