1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's our next PF ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da Wink, Jun 13, 2007.

1. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

sounds like a trade filler to me to have salaries match. at least hes a big body...even though his reb totals are laughable.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So we have to take trade filler and pay the kicker? I don't like it.

3. Sextuple Double

PF Free Agents

Nocioni (not realistic)
    Sweetney (no)
    PJ Brown (would only do for vets min)
    Varejao (not after what he did in Game 3 trying to be superhero)
    Scot Pollard (r u kidding me)
    Austin Croshere (no way)
    Eddie Najera (we already have Hayes)
    Amir Johnson(worth a shot)
    Dale Davis (no)
    McDyess (not for a full MLE)
    Webber(sounds good, but we don't need 2 stiffs on defense)
    Josh Powell (i know nothing of him)
    Maceo Boston (what????)
    Micheal Doleac (hell to tha mutha****** no)
    Ersan Ilyasova (no)
    Brandon Bass (he's still in the League???)
    Malik Rose (we don't need a 32yr old Hayes)
    Darko Milicic (too expensive, not possible)
    Bo Outlaw (even less offense than Hayes, no thanks)
    Alan Henderson (i thought he retired)
    Joe Smith (probable, but not the answer)
    Corliss Williamson (enough undersized PF's already!!)
    Melvin Ely (worth a shot)
    Matt Bonner (Novak 1.5)
    Pape Sow (dropped 40 in a D-League game once, but broke his neck last year)
    Andre Blatche (got arrested with agent 0, might be worth a small portion of MLE)
    Michael Ruffin (oh god no)

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

we dont need any trade filler to make saleries match. They work just find on their own

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

No...do NOT be deceived!!!

* The salaries match w/o filler.
    * Reed is a decent 3/4 regardless of the stat lines.
    * The specifics of the kicker are NOT known including which team pays and whether James can opt to not invoke it.
    * The drop dead max the kicker could be is $950k and it has no specific cap implications.

6. crash5179

granted I have never seen Reed play but what makes him decent regardless of his stat line? He looks like a sacrificial foul machine and nothing else.

7. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

Reed has two more years guaranteed at 1.43 and 1.57M each. just FYI

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Again, another player I haven't seen since college... there are so many SEC players in the NBA! lol

Anyway, the only thing I remember about Justin Reed is that he was a solid contributor. Never was the "star" but seemed like a leader on that team. If I recall correctly he was a good rebounder.. surely a player doesn't forget how that's done??

It also looks from that stats page that he is getting garbage minutes last year (06-07)... though he was playing a bench rotation role a year prior.

He's a big body that maybe is in the wrong sort of system in Minn to do well?

Though it seems unlikely that they think Reed is the answer to the PF issues here, he could be a back up.... maybe they aren't thinking to keep Chuck?

I must admit to being confused as to why they made it part of the deal... unless it was a requirement to getting James on Minnesota's end.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

GATER, needless to say, I respect the hell out of your posts, but are you sure about this?? It's not what I've been remembering about the kicker. I'd love to be wrong!

10. GATER

First, I watched the TWolves a bit this year to keep up with Mike James. Reed did not play much as he was injured or the "odd man out". Reed, like Mike James, was never able to get into a rhythm with the TWolves. From limited info, I'd say Reed is more like his Celtics stats than the TWolves stats.

That IMHO basically makes him a Chuck Hayes type only bigger with enough speed to play some SF and some semblance of a mid-range J. Reed is a low risk option with some upside.

That's mostly opinion. The only other source I have is a TWolves fan where I work. He's not at his desk...I'll check back. :)

11. GATER

Deckard -
    Nearly everything I have read indicates trades bonuses ("kickers") have a player option associated with them. Let's say you go to Mike James' agent and say..."we want Mike back...but we won't increase his salary by the 15% bonus. Waive the bonus and return to Houston".

In those terms, given the Twolves, Foye, and James owning a home in Houston....is it really worth it to him to say "No...give me the raise...I won't come back without a salary increase of 15%"?

BTW...the trade kicker ONLY works for the first trade on the contract.

12. crash5179

Thanks for the info. I would like more info on this guy because all I really know of him is what is on his stat sheet at NBA.com.

13. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Amir Johnson(worth a shot) -- but not with MLE.

14. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

he is definitely worth throwing money at to see how detroit will react. I would act quickly though, while they are still in re-sign bonzi mode. they might balk at taking on a considerable contract on what is really an unknown commodity.

15. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Why would Rockets throw MLE type money at this unknow commodity?

Mikkie Moore may be someone I am willing to consider for MLE.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

do not be decieved. reed does a little of everything (very little), but does nothing great.

in 05-06 he averaged a career high 17MPG for the wolves. he grabbed 2.4RPG, 6PPG, 0ast, 0stl, 0blk. he shot 42% from the field and commited 3 fouls a game.

this doesn't sound like chuck hayes' replacement.

this is just an athlete to add to the end of the roster. he's cheap, he's young, he makes snyder expendable. nothing more.

17. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Two thumbs up, way up!

18. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Just to throw out some names.

Antoine Walker - He is a perfect compliment to Yao with his mid to long range ability forcing defenders out of the post and clear room for Yao to work on. he is a legit 3 point threat and would open the floor for everyone. T-Mac drives and you can't double him or Yao posts up his man and you can't double him either. I remember a few years ago he was very interested in joining Houston but we blew it by taking Stromild with the MLE. As for contract situation, Walker has 8 mil this year and 9 mil the next season after which the remaining contract is a TEAM OPTION. Meaning we can rent him for 2 seasons and let him loose which is a pretty good short term contract in my view.

Marcus Camby - He is a center but you could plug him at PF with Yao and create a good shot blocking and rebounding duo. Camby is coming off a DPTY award so Denver may not be willing to deal him for lesser player but then again they face luxury taxes this coming season and they need to cut major salary. If not Camby then Nene looks like a nice deal too which I would do.

Rasheed Wallace - Pistons are tired of his antics and may want to trade him. I don't know if they would anything we have to offer. Has Antoine Walker type range with better low post game plus good rebounding and defense.

Chris Webber - he has made a ton of money from Philly already and he wants to finally win a ring to overshadow his blunder at Michigan. I would think he may go to San Antonio or Phoenix because they have a better shot at winning it all next year. Detroit to me is done is the East and they need to rebuild. I don't see Webber winning a title in Detroit any time soon. Adelman effect could work here to lure him in especially now that he would play a far lesser role than he did in Sacto.

Sean May - Almost forgotten in the league but this what happens when you play for an expansion team. He has excellent IQ and understanding of the game but unfortunately he plays behind Emeka Okafor and has very little chance at accelerating. He could be gotten for very cheap even a Luther Head might get him. The Bobcats have no idea how to build a team they just keep wasting lottery pick after pick. They've had a top 5 pick every year since they joined the league and still they can't get to .500. To me it seems like good players are trapped on that terrible team waiting to be rescued.

19. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

I stopped reading after 'Antoine Walker'

20. dream2franchise

A guy like Horry...so around 6'10, range out to the three point line, athletic, great handles, quick enough to defend the Amares and Dirks yet tall and long enough to disrupt the KG's and Duncans, can put the ball on the floor and create for himself? He's out there, folks...say it with me!

Lamar Odom