1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's losing interest in MLB?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Frank Black, Feb 14, 2001.

1. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

With Spring Training on the horizon I typically get excited because I'll soon be watching the 'Stros. However, I'm at odds with myself because, frankly, I'm not interested. It's no mystery who'll be in the playoffs so therefore it's just not that fun to follow baseball these days. I still plan to watch the 'Stros & hope for the best, but for what? I know that they'll be mediocre & probably won't make the playoffs. With each big-name contract signing I become even more disgusted. I just want to know y'all's opinions & whether or not you'd agree with me when I say that MLB sucks these days!

------------------
    "...just because a clever person can complicate the discussion about the truth doesn't necessarily mean he or she is making any progress in finding it."

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I lost intrest a long time ago ... where is the competition? Why watch something when you already know the outcome? I'd rather go see a little league team play ...

------------------
    its all good and fun till someone gets hurt ... then its absolutely hilarious!

3. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

Yes, that's exactly my point! I've just held on a bit longer, I guess.

------------------
    "...just because a clever person can complicate the discussion about the truth doesn't necessarily mean he or she is making any progress in finding it."

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

5. Nomar

Nomar Member

Sorry, but I think that baseball is the greatest sport in the world. Its the epitome of a team sport, and also achieving sucess in baseball is less a result of athleticism, but more related to skill.
    Example: Matt Stairs. I could halve his 40 time, but he is a solid baseball player.

Also, part of the problem is that you Astros fans have to put up with Hunsicker and the ownership.

Constantly trading away good players, not resigning good players, building a new arena, but cutting payroll...

I mean come one. Mitch Meleusky was rated the 6th overall catcher in the league my MLBTalk. I totally agree when you factor in his age. Future MVP candidate i think.

Go Sox, 2001 champs.

------------------
    The next time I have meat and mashed potatoes, I think I'll put a very large blob of potatoes on my plate with just a little piece of meat. And if someone asks me why i didn't get more meat, ill just say, "Oh, you mean this?" and pull out a big piece of meat from inside the blob of potatoes, where ive hidden it. Good magic trick, huh?

6. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

You are WAY exagerating, I think. You say all the playoff contenders can be predicted ahead of time? So you picked the White Sox and Seattle to make the playoffs? Wow, you are the smartest man in America cause nobody else did.

That and I was sad to see Hampton and Arod go sign with mega mass markets like LA or New York. Oh wait, they didn't. Oops, my bad.

dylan

------------------

7. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

dylan - FIRST, you need to read into people's posts much more carefully! I DID NOT say that I could predict what teams will make the playoffs! However, like I did say before, it's not a grand mystery. There usually is a cinderella team like the Mariners or Sox last year. Not to say that I could've predicted that because I couldn't have. In the end, though, we saw that the the biggest spender came out on top. SECOND. If you're going to quote me do it accurately while withholding your senseless sarcasm!!

------------------

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Frank

If you're criteria for determining whether or not a league is "fun to follow" is whether or not it's a "mystery" as to who will be in the playoffs, I would have to ask if you follow basketball? I would venture to say that half of the teams that made the playoffs in baseball were surprises last year.

If the NBA season ended today, I would think that Dallas would be considered the only suprise team in the West, and Boston (with their woeful 22-28 record) would be the only surprise team in the East. It would seem that most prognosticators would have gotten at least 13 of the 16 playoff teams correct.

I disagree with that part of your reasoning as to why baseball may or may not "suck".

------------------

10. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

What does MLB mean?

------------------
    Good night everyone, Canadian or American. Just remember that we're all bound together by basketball, the internet and the mullet.

(My attempts at trying to sooth over an international incident).

11. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Baseball is the greatest sport. But I don't like where MLB is headed. I am a SD Padre fan (long story but as a kid I was a huge Steve Garvey fan) so I know if all the cards fall right that an underdog can win. But usually by year-end the favorites are there in the playoffs (Yankees, Braves, Indians). So I understand the frustrations.

12. mrpaige

And that would only be a surprise to some (especially many on this board who insisted that the Mavs would never sniff the playoffs). Many folks predicted playoffs for the Dallas squad based on the Post-Cuban record of last year's squad (and the emergence of players like Dirk).

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

13. Live

Live Member

The problem with the MLB isn't that we can already predict who'll be in the playoffs (we can do the same thing in other sports), but that we can already predict who'll be in the World Series with a great degree of accuracy: the Yankees and a sacrificial lamb. And that's before a single pitch is thrown! It's been like that for the past, what, 3-4 YEARS!!

------------------
    Who's better: Kelvin Cato or Joe Barry Caroll?

Take your time! :)

14. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

bob - I do follow basketball. Granted, there are teams that are truly bad & will go nowhere based simply on personnel. These teams won't make the playoffs. I see the NBA as a much more stable sport now that they've gotten past things. I'm just trying to get my point across that the teams that spend the most money in professional baseball will in all likelihood be there in the end. Can you argue with that?

------------------

15. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

My sentiments exactly, Live!

------------------

16. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Yeah, just ask the Redskins

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

17. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I don't consider Dallas a small market. Matter of fact, I don't consider Houston one either. I think Drayton is trying to get back some of the money he lost while the Stro's are were playing in the Dome.

Cities like Cleveland and Denver have owners who are WILLING to spend money, even though they are in smaller markets.

------------------
    "Roses are red. Violets are blue. I'm a schizophrenic and so am I."

18. mrpaige

19. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

I was refering to pro baseball Mr. Finn. IMO, the NFL is much more unpredictable when you account for the number of games played, key injuries & their effects, etc.. I was pleasantly surprised to see the 'Skins crumble & watch my Saints roll on.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Frank Black (edited February 14, 2001).]

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

What is this "base-ball" of which you speak? I've never heard of such a thing. [​IMG]

------------------
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.