1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's in the wrong here?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jebus, Jun 23, 2004.

?

Who is most at fault for the snags in the deal?

1. Steve Francis

67 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Tracy McGrady

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Houston Rockets

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. The Orlando Magic

22 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Chad Ford

13 vote(s)
    12.3%
  6. Other (specify)

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

Who is most at fault for the snags in the Francis/Tmac deal?

I voted for the Magic. Steve is #2 for me.

2. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Franchise. The guy, not the entity.

3. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

I hate Chad Ford's stinky pie.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I vote Steve. I think the Magic organization is to blame some here as well. But if Steve would have been cool with going to Orlando from the beginning (like he CLAIMS he is now) then the Magic would have loved to have him. Steve planted a seed of doubt with the Magic and that makes them wonder. Because of that the Magic are not negotiating in good faith and soliciting offers. So because the Francis comments were the initial cause, I voted for him.

5. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Has to be Orlando ... They are backing down because of 2 things

1) Steve Francis - A player not wanting to get traded with a long contract happens all the time!!!

2) All the press was talking about was about how great a deal the Rockets got, and then all of a sudden they say they might want to change their mind. That's Bush League.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Its the easiest to blame Steve on this one, we've been doing it for the last 4 years.

But there was a good chance that the Magic were going to do this anyways. Whether Steve said he would play for them or not, other teams still would have put in better or new offers immediately.

The Magic got cold feet, not because of Steve (they know they could trade him), but because they got some new offers and they atleast want to consider those. There is no point rushing this trade, people know that the longer you hold out, the better the deals are going to get.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The Magic are MOST at fault, in my estimation.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's another fear of mine. Remember that Orlando's GM is a HOCKEY guy. How much NBA knowledge does he have? I am sure he has people under him that know basketball but ultimately he makes the final decisions. "Appearances" are important with the trade in Orlando. If the town feels the trade sucks that makes a difference for that franchise! I also fear that the bad press about it might be making them have cold feet.

Of course what that says about your convictions with the trade and the ability to be swayed by the press on basketball personel moves is another story!

9. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

OTHER: Jim Fried (aka. Steve Francis' incompetent agent).

http://www.gazettearchives.com/hornets1999/_disc6/0000004c.htm
    Agent explains Francis trade
    Date: 9/19/99

Comments
    By Richard Walker - Gazette Sports Reporter

The agent for Steve Francis doesn’t see his client’s recent trade from Vancouver to Houston as another sign NBA players simply don’t want to play for the Grizzlies.

"This is not a sweeping issue," said Jeff Fried, the Washington, D.C.-based agent who represents the former All-ACC Maryland guard. "This involved a very particular situation. Time will tell, but I think it will be a win-win situation for the teams involved."

Many around the NBA wondered if Francis’ balking at accepting his No. 2 overall selection by the Grizzlies as just another sign players don’t want to play for the perennial loser.

But Fried points out that Francis had told the team prior to the June 30 draft that he didn’t want to play in Vancouver.

However, he admits that he’s heard the negative publicity directed his way.

"I will say this: It concerns me," Fried said. "I try not to worry about things I can’t control, like people’s perceptions. But I can say that I don’t want (general manager) Stu Jackson, the Vancouver organization and that city, which is a beautiful city, to receive negative fallout."

Fried continued, "This was a hectic summer. A very hectic summer. It wasn’t something I particularly enjoyed."

Fried also doesn’t think the Hornets got involved in the bidding for Francis once it become obvious last month Vancouver would be swapping his client.

"You’d really have to speak to Bob Bass about that," Fried said. "But my feeling is that they didn’t make a trade offer. I will say that Bob Bass was a gentleman and that franchise down there in Charlotte was a pleasure to deal with throughout the whole draft process.

"There was the thought that Steve would be in Charlotte. The general consensus was that Chicago would take Elton (Brand) and Vancouver would trade the pick. But Charlotte came away pretty good anyway in getting Baron Davis. I think he’s going to have a terrific professional career."

Now in Houston, Francis will join a superstar-laden Rockets’ lineup that includes Hakeem Olajuwon, Charles Barkley and Scottie Pippen.

"Let’s just say we’re pleased with Houston," Fried said.

http://www.gazettearchives.com/hornets1999/_disc6/00000020.htm

Francis' preference is Charlotte
    Date: 6/27/99

Comments
    By Richard Walker - Gazette Sports Reporter

If Steve Francis had to pick a team he’d prefer, he’d probably lean the Charlotte Hornets’ way, his agent said Friday.

"We just want Steve to go to a place where he can be productive," said Francis’ agent, Jeff Fried. "We’re probably happiest, at this point, with Chicago and Charlotte. And obviously, Charlotte is in a little better situation because they’re closer to winning."

Francis has gone to Chicago and Charlotte for workouts and Toronto came to Washington, D.C. to see him Wednesday and Vancouver came to town Friday and Saturday.

"As it gets closer, I’m really interested to see what happens," Fried said. "Not that there’s a whole lot that we can do."

And let's not forget how he handled the Superbowl incident this year.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/feb04/205767.asp

Enter Jeff Fried, Francis' agent, who contended that Francis actually was not at the Super Bowl but remained in Houston to attend to "an urgent family matter."

Family matter? Who gets to use the Super Bowl tickets? Who gets the pass to go into the suite with P. Diddy? Hey, disputes over things like that can tear a family apart. Neither Francis nor Fried offered any specifics regarding the family emergency.

Later, Francis said he had not been at the Super Bowl after all but had been at home, and pointed out that the tapes from his surveillance system would back him on that. Furthermore, Francis pointed out a recent survey taken by the Houston Chronicle.

"The survey said I was considered one of the most popular athletes in Houston," said Francis. "So I'm pretty sure somebody would have seen me if I was there."

Said Van Gundy, "The story changed a bit."

10. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Screw Orlando. I say we back out the deal and wait for Yao to
    develop. If he's really that good then we should attract more good player in the future. Anyway, as great as Tracy, the team
    won't win jack unless Yao becomes a dominant player.

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

In specific order:

1) Steve's agents
    2) Jimy Williams
    3) El Nino

12. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

you forgot about these guys

[​IMG]

13. Htown4life

Htown4life Contributing Member