1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's done more for the Rockets? scola4president or Rudy T

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 27, 2008.

?

Who's done more for the Rockets?

1. Rudy T

126 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. scola4president

52 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

can you two grow up please and not bog down the forum with your pissing contest

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

one thing the newbs don't think about is CLUTCH.

CLUTCH is the #1 Rocket fan here. He's met Rudy and attended Rocket's practices thanks to Rudy.

http://www.clutchfans.net/feature.cfm?FeatureID=29
    Austin Training Camp Series I
    WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 6, 1999 12:00 AM CT
    By Clutch
    Copyright 1999 ClutchFans.net
    Rudy T has always been a friend to Clutchfans, Clutchcity.net

3. tinman

Supporting Member

Here's a young Clutch interviewing Rudy T at training camp

http://www.clutchfans.net/feature.cfm?FeatureID=31

I sat in on an interview with Rudy Tomjanovich. Two others were asking him questions so I stood right next to him and recorded it. Rudy talked a lot about the running game, saying he wants to pound it in to these guys so much that it's just second nature, so that running is "just one more time up the court for these guys". He wants the Rockets to be aggressive, forcing the opponent to have to foul. He also said he didn't want people to think he was going to stop going to Hakeem and Charles. "We are going to throw the ball to our guys who are high percentage players," said Rudy, "and Hakeem and Charles are."

Rudy also said he has been "really excited" about this camp, and he laughed saying, "I'm telling the truth when I say that. Sometimes you get guys trying to be positive, but I ain't trying, I just am! I think we fit together really well. Chemistry is two-fold. It's how you play and how you interact in personal relationships. I think we can be great in both of those."

From what I seen, I agree. First off, Cat, Francis and Anderson look like best friends. Francis and Mobley today looked like old buddies, shadow boxing and doing some dance moves after practice. Cat just looks like he gets along with everybody. Anderson is just a hell of a nice guy -- a class act. I'm positive he is going to be a big fan favorite in Houston.

Rudy on Carlos Rogers: "Carlos has been a pleasant surprise. He's a better shooter than I thought. He's very athletic, attacks the basket and I know he can run and jump, but he also can do it with the ball. We hadn't seen alot of him and my (initial) impression of him was more of an away from the ball type of rebounder, but he can do some nice things. He's aggressive, but he's also unselfish. He's made some nice passes. He's a shy guy -- we'll crack that shell pretty soon (laughter)."

Rudy on Kelvin Cato sitting out: "He just felt it was a percentage deal to hold him out again. When he did practice yesterday, he was fantastic. Really, really great."

After the game, Rudy ran the Rockets for wind sprints. Cat Mobley, Shandon Anderson and believe it or not, Kenny Thomas and Don MacLean at times, had a lot of gas and led the pack. Keep in mind this is after the game, so they already must have been very tired. Barkley was going full steam to start, but in the end he was near the back... that is except for Thomas Hamilton, who was bringing up the rear.

After sprints, they ran some drills. Hamilton, Massenburg, Rogers and Thomas went to one basket with Larry Smith and worked on post-up moves. MacLean, Drew, Matt Bullard, Matt Maloney and Walt Williams ran shooting drills on one court. On another, Stacey Augmon, Shandon, Cat and Francis ran the same set of shooting drills (which involves one guard rebounding, and the other two playing a version of "Around the World"... as soon as you hit the college three from one spot, you move to the next spot and first to finish. One player starts shooting on one side of the court, the other on the other side. This picture is from those drills)

Cat hit 9 straight shots (from college three), going all the way around. He may have grazed the rim on one of those shots -- the rest were nothing but net. Anderson did better than I imagined as well. Francis swished three straight, then he went to the top of the key and missed that shot 3 times. He then knocked off 4 more. His shot looked good -- his form on the shot was very nice.

After talking with Rudy, I walked all over the court and took some shots. I got up close to Charles and got a shot. One of the Rockets' coaches walked up and said "Digital (camera)?" I'm like, "Yeah..." So he walks over to the camera, takes a look on the screen at the close-up face shot I just took of Charles and says, "Huh... just as ugly on camera", which brought out laughs.

On a side note -- everyone I've spoken to with the Rockets has been fantastic. Fun to talk to, polite people, professional in how they do things. It's a class organization from top to bottom. It's wild walking around with these guys. You almost feel like one of them.

When it was all over, Charles went into his standard, "lets gather the troops" routine. By the time he had gotten out to the bus, he sat in the drivers' seat and wailed the horn over and over. "Lets go! Lets go!" ...

The driver showed up and Charles responded: "Get your ass to the back of the bus. I'm taking over!" Laughs from the back. You can see in the back Maloney, Drew and Bullard all talking. Walt Williams is listening to headphones. Shandon Anderson is talking with one of the players as well. Cuttino and Francis were walking up to the bus and surprisingly, Cuttino recognized me.

"Hey man!" ... he puts out his hand for a slap and shake ... "Be cool, alright?"

I'm 26 years old and I felt like the kid in the Mean Joe Greene commercial. It was incredible.

4. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Just for making a stupid threat to insult somebody, Ill vote for Scola

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Damn dude, that makes me miss the old Rockets. I really liked the Cat and SF3 combo. It's too painful to know we traded those guys for Tmac. Why do you have to bring up old wounds?! LOL

Seriously, is there any doubt that Rudy T is the greatest, a real thread would be, who had a bigger impact on the Rockets organization, Rudy T or Dream?

6. tinman

Supporting Member

man, did you ever see on NBATV, NBA Stories Hakeem ?

there was a scene where Rudy and Dream meet each other again, I think after Dream got his number retired.

Dream calls Rudy "Coach"
    and Rudy tells Dream "Everything good in life I have, I owe it all to you"
    then they hugged

its a tear jerker

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

If anyone sees that on the YouTube tell me about it. I loved Dream and Rudy. I remember when Mario Ellie was hands down my favorite player. Seeing him play for spurs made me sick, why did he leave us?

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Mario wasn't happy that we wanted to trade him for Damon Stadomire.

9. conquistador#11

who hasn't been blessed by rudy? Back in 1996, Rudy, along with the legend Dick harmon, visited my highschool, memorial high, to promote brotherhood( career day). Their cause, to help the youth find their place in life, was something special. So i know, at first hand experience, that rudy would not endorse this humiliation of a fellow brother. Rudy was and will always be a forgiving person.

to the young comrade last seen on 1999, who taught me the game of basketball, i thank thee, where ever you are...........

[[​IMG][/IMG]

10. abita

abita Member

39 tards and still counting :eek:

11. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Wow........that statement makes you look real dumb tinman.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Make that 38, I voted for Rudy T but the ballots were confusing!

13. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

this thread is like asking whats better, pizza or genital herpies

14. tinman

Supporting Member

yeah, i realize i screwed up there, but i wanted him to realize that Rudy T has been with the Rockets longer than this guy has been living.

so 'at least 24 years' is what i should have said, the mathematically correct statement.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

A fellow brother? those who insult our elders who have built this organization to the status it is today is not a fellow brother.

Rudy T endorsed Dream's humiliation of David Robinson in 1995. :D

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Larry Smith's record as coach (last 17 games of '03): 8-9

JVGs last 17 games his first year in Houston: 6-11

17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Larry Smith inherited a team who had played together all season and ran the same system. A team that was playing okay.

JVG ran a new system and the players had to learn it...and they struggled with it...especially SF.

Not really the same thing.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

I found it disturbing that Larry Smith got the wrath of China because he didn't play Yao for 40 minutes a game.

And its not like Yao got the ball anyways in a Steve Francis led offense.

19. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Rudy put his heart and soul into the Rockets organization and i love him for it. With that said, he was an overrated coach who got lucky with Hakeem in his prime.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You're right, not really the same thing. JVG had a 2nd-year Yao, not a rookie who didn't go to training camp, couldn't speak English and had hit the rookie wall.

We're talking about the last 17 games of the season, not the first 17 games. I think JVG would have sunk in by then.