1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's been the greatest surprise so far?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slam Dunk, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Lin. He has been really efficient scoring and despite his dumb turnovers he is showing promise.

Casspi has been a pleasent one as well, but our scheme fits him like a glove. The spacing, the open 3's (contested too), the penetration, and the defense has been good. He rarely makes mistakes. Can't say that about a few guys on this team though...

2. rokit

rokit Member

This...So far he's been as efficient as Harden, with even higher TS%. Harden 2nd in the NBA as a P&R ball handler, Lin 4th.

3. j3i

j3i Member

Casspi and Lin. If I had to pick, I'd choose Casspi since we all know Lin was improving throughout the last season. Really it's just a continuing trend.

4. bongman

bongman Member

Morey by a MILE. Parsons is the only one in the roster that had a Rockets uniform 2 seasons ago. That year, most of the threads were about "tanking or not". That word is no longer mentioned here and has been replaced by CHAMPIONSHIP.

5. davli

davli Member

Lin's shooting - after 5 games it's now sitting at 53% FG and 43% 3pt. Even though I am a huge Lin's fan, I was surprised to see these numbers. Now I am hoping it continues at a similar level going forward.........

6. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

1) Casspi
    2) Lin's increasing consistency and Parsons lack of it

7. MONON

MONON Member

7-13 (.538), 2-6 (.333) & 5 rebounds in 39 minutes in addition to bulldog defense.
    Just didn't expect all that.

8. SevenMinuteAbs

Dude he's played like a game and a quarter.

I was expecting casspi to regress a bit from preseason but he's looking like a great pickup this far.

Lin has been our most consistent player I think. He hasn't done anything amazing but he hasn't done anything really stupid either. He's been solid.

Parsons has been playing short of expectations but had a good game against the jazz. I think he'll be fine.

9. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

Casspi is easily the most surprising player.

10. Remii

Remii Member

Casspi lead the team in assist last night playing a lil over 20 minutes... Are you sure he can't make plays...??? And that's not a necessity from that position. Need a guy who will score more points than shots he takes not vice versa. And Parsons defense has not been good. If he's not going to score or be a lock down defender _ his minutes should drop.

11. WNBA

WNBA Member

Casspi
    23 minutes 10.5/5.8/3.3 46% 3 point shooting.

Good stats but nothing can beat Harden's 4.8 TO per game for surprise.

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I'm not surprised. I love Harden but he's just a turnover prone player.

13. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

A 2013'er thinks Beverly hasnt done anything, what a shocker!! :rolleyes:

14. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Easily Bev. I knew Casspi had the skills before signing here based on how he did in Sac.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Casspi, of course. I wasn't expecting much of anything, really, and not only has he returned to the form he had as a rookie, he's surpassed it, in my opinion. The guy has a very high basketball IQ, and seems to share with Parsons the ability to do everything rather well. I had no idea! Casspi and Parsons play very well together, something else it's hard not to notice. Everyone else is at least close to what I expected. Jeremy is playing very well, as is Bev when he can get on the court, and Garcia has continued the level of play he showed us against the Thunder in the playoffs. Howard and Asik are what you'd expect... a load and a half. Damn, we're deep. Wait until they really get used to each other! Morey continues to amaze.

Negatives? Harden has struggled at times, and Parsons is still searching for his shot and consistency, but the pressure of being the highly publicized "point men" on the Howard signing has hurt their focus, in my opinion. Harden will become consistent, and Parsons will find his shot. Chandler's gone through this before, which some of you seem to have forgotten.

This is fun, folks.

16. domd221

domd221 Member

Chandler Parsons and his hesitation to shoot the first good look. I cringe whenever he catches the ball now because I expect a pump fake into a more difficult shot...

At least he is trying to expand his game though. If he can get some consistency in his jumper along with the addition of being able to create his own shot by the end of the year I won't complain.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Casspi can find the open man, if that's what you mean, but that's not making plays like chandler does. Chandler can make plays in a variety of ways. It may not be a necessity from that position, but it's a necessity behind Harden and Howard. No one else on the team has that ability, which is precisely why CP was seen as the potential third scorer/option, since we got Dwight.

Obviously his minutes will drop if he doesn't score or play d, but not five games into the season.

18. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

He's talking about the fact Bev's only played one game.

19. atamirisa

atamirisa Member

Francisco Garcia making it rain

20. Fighton

Fighton Member

parsons is in a slump. they all go through it. but he's still doing what he always does, which is shoot the 3 when he's open, move well without the ball and make good cuts. and play some D. once the shots start to fall, he'll be alright.

he won't single handily win games for you, but he also won't lose games for you with silly mistakes, and that's what mchale values in his role players, in my opinion. and that's also why he gets so many minutes - his playing style fits with almost anyone; moves well without the ball, can shoot the 3 decently, and long enough and athletic enough to not be a negative on defense.

to understand why certain players play so many minute, you have to understand mchale's mindset. and this is my opinion, of course, based on last year. in football terms, mchale would rather punt for field position rather than go for it on 4th and 2. there's no right or wrong in this; that's just who he is as a coach.