1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's at 3rd?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by leroy, Jul 25, 2007.

1. leroy

leroy Member

From today's Astros notes in the Chron...

Quick? Really? He'd certainly be able to cover ground with his size alone. I don't think they are seriously considering this, but you never know. When Brad Ausmus is listed as a better choice, I think the idea should be put to rest. Kind of funny to imagine it, though...

2. No Worries

No Worries Member

Lee would have to lose some weight to consider it.

I still don't know. I have seen Lee bobble balls with his glove in the OF. Lee might have to spend some time in the offseason doing fielding reps, before playing third is a real possibility.

3. msn

msn Member

Come on now; we've known for 80 years that Who's on 1st and IDon'tKnow is on 3rd.

Hello and welcome to last century. :p

4. macalu

macalu Member

wow, the season has gotten that bad huh?

5. No Worries

No Worries Member

Garner listed Morgan Ensberg, Mark Loretta, Mike Lamb and even Brad Ausmus ahead of Lee in terms of third-base defensive options on his current club.

Reading in between the lines ...

What if Loretta and Lamb get traded, who can play third for the rest of the season besides Ensberg?

6. juicystream

juicystream Member

Bruntlett maybe.

7. killtaker

killtaker Member

I still don't understand why people think Lee is slow. I think he's quicker on his feet than Lamb, Ensberg and Ausmus. The dude is second on our team (to H.Pence) in stolen bases this season.
    <br>

8. BigM

BigM Member

we should try bagwell at third. get him to throw left-handed, it can't be that hard.

9. Blake

Blake Member

Denny Walling is in great shape

10. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Member

Mark Texiera played 3rd at Georgia Tech!! Get it done Timmy!! :D

11. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

I love the idea of Ausmus playing in the field. He is such a heads-up type player, I think he could extend his career by making a move to 3rd. All those years behind the plate have got to 'catch' up with him at some point. The recent example of course would be Biggio who definitely would not have done all he did, for as long as he did if he stayed behind the plate. If Garner thinks highly enough of him as a captain, this could be an excellent way to keep him around for more seasons.

12. BigM

BigM Member

i'm guessing you're joking?

ausmus' best asset is still his catching and ability to work with the pitching staff. he also plays a generally offensively weak position, so even though he's a light hitter, his backups aren't that much better, thus he still has regular playing time. if ausmus was a third baseman he would have been out of the league a few years ago.