1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wholefoods CEO in news for posting on Yahoo boards

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AB, Jul 11, 2007.

1. AB

AB Contributing Member

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118418782959963745.html?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo

In January 2005, someone using the name "Rahodeb" went online to a Yahoo stock-market forum and posted this opinion: No company would want to buy Wild Oats Markets Inc., a natural-foods grocer, at its price then of about $8 a share.

"Would Whole Foods buy OATS?" Rahodeb asked, using Wild Oats' stock symbol. "Almost surely not at current prices. What would they gain? OATS locations are too small." Rahodeb speculated that Wild Oats eventually would be sold after sliding into bankruptcy or when its stock fell below $5. A month later, Rahodeb wrote that Wild Oats management "clearly doesn't know what it is doing .... OATS has no value and no future."

The comments were typical of banter on Internet message boards for stocks, but the writer's identity was anything but. Rahodeb was an online pseudonym of John Mackey, co-founder and chief executive of Whole Foods Market Inc. Earlier this year, his company agreed to buy Wild Oats for $565 million, or $18.50 a share.

For about eight years until last August, the company confirms, Mr. Mackey posted numerous messages on Yahoo Finance stock forums as Rahodeb. It's an anagram of Deborah, Mr. Mackey's wife's name. Rahodeb cheered Whole Foods' financial results, trumpeted his gains on the stock and bashed Wild Oats. Rahodeb even defended Mr. Mackey's haircut when another user poked fun at a photo in the annual report. "I like Mackey's haircut," Rahodeb said. "I think he looks cute!"

Mr. Mackey's online alter ego came to light in a document made public late Tuesday by the Federal Trade Commission in its lawsuit seeking to block the Wild Oats takeover on antitrust grounds. Submitted under seal when the suit was filed in June, the filing included a quotation from the Yahoo site. An FTC footnote said, "As here, Mr. Mackey often posted to Internet sites pseudonymously, often using the name Rahodeb."

After The Wall Street Journal contacted Whole Foods yesterday, the company said in a statement that among millions of documents it gave the FTC were postings its CEO made from 1999 to 2006 "under an alias to avoid having his comments associated with the Company and to avoid others placing too much emphasis on his remarks." The statement said, "Many of the opinions expressed in these postings now have far less relevance than when they were written." Whole Foods didn't confirm every Rahodeb posting as being from Mr. Mackey.

Bulletin Boards

Mr. Mackey declined to be interviewed. But he soon posted on the company Web site, saying that the FTC was quoting Rahodeb "to embarrass both me and Whole Foods." He also said: "I posted on Yahoo! under a pseudonym because I had fun doing it. Many people post on bulletin boards using pseudonyms." He said that "I never intended any of those postings to be identified with me."

Mr. Mackey's post continued: "The views articulated by rahodeb sometimes represent what I actually believed and sometimes they didn't. Sometimes I simply played 'devil's advocate' for the sheer fun of arguing. Anyone who knows me realizes that I frequently do this in person, too."

Like Whole Foods itself, Mr. Mackey, a 53-year-old vegan, is somewhat unconventional. He dropped out of college and worked at a natural-foods store before co-founding Whole Foods in Austin, Texas, in 1980. He and his wife practice yoga and meditation and own a 720-acre ranch west of Austin. He once took a sabbatical to hike the Appalachian Trail.

He built Whole Foods in part by acquiring many smaller chains. In January, he slashed his salary to $1, saying, "this is what my heart is telling me is the appropriate thing to do right now."

Whole Foods agreed this February to acquire Wild Oats, of Boulder, Colo. The FTC sued in federal court in Washington to block the deal, saying it would reduce competition. The agency is trying to use Mr. Mackey's own words against him. Its suit quotes the CEO as telling other board members the takeover would enable Whole Foods "to avoid nasty price wars" and reduce the risk that a big conventional grocer would create a competitor to Whole Foods.

When that part of the suit became public, Mr. Mackey fired back with a 14,000-word treatise on his blog on the Whole Foods Web site. He accused the government of "bullying tactics," failing to do its homework and taking out of context "macho posturing" by executives that's common.

Rahodeb had begun posting on Yahoo Finance in the late 1990s, and quickly became known as a cheerleader for Whole Foods stock. "I admit to my bias," he wrote in 2000. "I love the company and I'm in for the long haul. I shop at Whole Foods. I own a great deal of its stock. I'm aligned with the mission and values of the company ... Is there something wrong with this?"

Rahodeb expressed pride in the CEO's work. "While I'm not a 'Mackey groupie,'" he wrote in 2000, "I do admire what the man has accomplished."

By 2005, Whole Foods' $4 billion in annual sales made it the leading player in natural and organic foods. In January of that year, with the stock at a split-adjusted price of about $47, Rahodeb predicted great things: "13 years from now Whole Foods will be a $800+ stock before splits." The stock closed yesterday at $39.50.

For an executive to use a pseudonym to praise his company and stock "isn't per se unlawful, but it's dicey," said Harvey Pitt, a former Securities and Exchange Commission chairman. Told of the Mackey posts, Mr. Pitt said, "It's clear that he is trying to influence people's views and the stock price, and if anything is inaccurate or selectively disclosed he would indeed be violating the law." He added that "at a minimum, it's bizarre and ill-advised, even if it isn't illegal."

A spokeswoman for Whole Foods said Mr. Mackey only revealed information about Whole Foods that already was public knowledge. His comments "weren't illegal" and weren't "against company policy," she said.

Rahodeb sometimes sparred with other users. "Your quarterly cash flow variance isn't statistically meaningful because the time period is too short," he told a user who criticized Whole Foods in March 2006. Rahodeb then pasted a summary of the previous six years of the company's operating cash flow, saying that over five years it "has increased 330%."

When it came to rival Wild Oats, Rahodeb didn't pull punches. He often criticized Perry Odak, who resigned as Wild Oats CEO last year. "While Odak was trying to figure out the business and conducting expensive 'research studies,' to help him figure things out, Whole Foods was signing and opening large stores in OATS territories," Rahodeb wrote in 2005. "Odak drove off most of the long-term OATS natural foods managers." Reached yesterday, Mr. Odak said he had no idea Mr. Mackey was behind the postings, but "it doesn't surprise me."

Keeping Abreast

Sometimes when Rahodeb went without posting for several weeks, other users expressed concern. Once, Rahodeb reassured them he was keeping abreast of the chat.

Last August, Rahodeb filed his last post on the Yahoo message board. He said he had lost a bet with "hubris12000" about Whole Foods' stock performance, and the bet's terms required that he quit posting. He blamed the whims of the stock market for a 40% decline in the company's shares.

"Whole Foods itself has a very bright future, and I will continue to hold my stock for a very long time," he wrote. "I've enjoyed my eight years on this Board, but all things must come to an end. I wish everyone the very best. Hog152 -- keep the faith. Liberfar -- good luck with your market-timing game. Hubris12000 -- take your profits while you can."

2. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

that is too much to read, what is the gist of it

3. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

[​IMG]

You decide. :p

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The CEO of Whole Foods was looking for some underage sex and got caught my Dateline.

5. AB

AB Contributing Member

"In January 2005, someone using the name "Rahodeb" went online to a Yahoo stock-market forum and posted this opinion: No company would want to buy Wild Oats Markets Inc., a natural-foods grocer, at its price then of about $8 a share."

As per the above news ..Rahodeb is John Mackey, CEO of wholefoods.

6. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

is that illegal or something? If I had competition I would say the other side sucks too!

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Idiot and a**hole. Not even to his shareholders, just to his CFO, Senior Staff, General Counsel and Investor Relations people, who must be thrilled to know how seriously he takes their work. Was he talking down the company, in hopes of de-valuing the stock to the point he could afford to buy more and increase his ownership share? A responsible Board of Directors would fire this man; if not, then a responsible SEC would figure out how to do it for them. How can anyone believe anything this man says as a Chief Executive? [/rant]

Spitzer for President!

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

He was talking down the competition.

9. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Despite WFMI being a terrible, terrible company. I've gained a new found respect for their CEO. I remember CNBC doing something on that screenname like 2 months ago because he called a buyout a few days before it happened on the yahoo messageboards.

10. AB

AB Contributing Member

What he did seems foolish and little irresponsible.. but I would not question honesty just by this incident.
    I used to read Yahoo boards regularly and remember 'Rahodeb'. I actually liked his posts and as far as I remember they did not have any information to be considered illegal. I was just shocked knowing that it was John Mackey himself

11. Curly

Curly Member

How funny. Food Network is doing a segment on Whole Foods right now.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Whether or not it's illegal, it's tacky for a CEO of a company to do. I heard this earlier today and busted out laughing and just thought "damn, that's sad". But then watching what his stock's done over the past 2 years, I guess he was desperate. lol.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I still think it is the strangest thing not allowing the merger of OATS and WFMI.

14. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

16. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Geez, the name is right. The age is right. The picture is reminiscent.

I think I went to high school with that John Mackey.

17. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I think they have more pressing issues, like people on message boards stalking famous basketball players...

18. Summer Song Giver

Hi my name is Hospie, I would just like to say that I think the Rocket's current coaching staff are doing a terrible job of running things. I would never be a fan of something so poorly run.

19. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

i dont see anything wrong with it IMO. Unless he was passing insider info, what's wrong with pretending to be someone else on an Internet message board?

signed,

a southern redneck posing as a flag and bible waving asian man :D

20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i guess it is not illegal, but it does seem unethical to do what he did. hardly the standard i would expect from a company like w.f., which likes to portray itself as this community-friendly food store which supports locals.

whole foods is no different than wal-mart - they are moving into new areas and ruthlessly squeezing out the local competition.