1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who'd be the primary backup point?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hard Rock, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Toast

Toast Member

Is the Head draft pick making any more sense now that we've made more offseason moves?

I think so. I dunno how much PT JVG planned to give him at the beginning of the season, but sadly that's when we're gonna need him most. Unless Sura doesn't come back at all. But hey, Sura isn't a prototypical PG anyway, so the PG responsibilities SHOULD be thrown at Head. Unless he simply can't cut it. If he can outperform Moochie in practice, then he should get the backup minutes.

2. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

As of right now this is what it looks like

1st team
    Alston
    Wes
    Tmac
    JHO
    Yao

Barry subs in and run with 1st team while Tmac sits

2nd Team
    Head
    DA
    Bowen
    Baxter
    Swift

3rd Team
    Mooch
    Glover
    Langford
    Chuck
    Dik

3. New Jack

New Jack Member

Based on what Van Gundy did last season when Sura went down to injury, I would say the most likely candidate to play backup minutes at the 1 is Head. I remember last year when Sura had that midseason injury, instead of playing Wesley or Barry at the point, Van Gundy chose to give all of the point guard minutes to Barrett and Strickland. Despite the two of them being clearly inferior players.

I think Van Gundy is more likely to play an unproven rookie rather than play one of his shooting guards (Wesley, DA, Barry) at the point.

4. ACL1

ACL1 Member

just say no to mooch. just by stepping on the court he will cause 6 losses per season. i rather Yao play point if we run out of players, over mooch

5. a yao

a yao Member

Yao sure can bring the ball up court, ... just ask SAR :D

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Those lineups dont surprise me. Wes and JHo know the system so no surprise they are in the starting lineup. But eventually I would like to see DA and Swift move into the starting lineup. Although Wes might be difficult to move out of there if for no other reason because of his defensive quickness.

It's good to see Head getting some time as the backup PG. Hopefully that will be the case throughout the year so he can get some minutes. More than anything, Head will be there to play "defense" against opposing team's PGs. And chances are other guys like DA, Tmac, Barry will initiate the offense when Alston is out of the game.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think people make too much of what is percieved as 1st and 2nd units. I tend to think of it as who is in the rotation.

I think JVG will try to make the primary rotation only 8 or 9 players with everyone else playing only in emergancy or if we end up with some over extended foul trouble or match up problems.

I see our rotation as this .

Centers and Power Forwards:
    Yao Ming
    Stromile Swift
    JHow
    Deke

Small Forwards and Guards
    TMac
    D.A.
    Alston
    Wesley
    Berry

Everyone else: Head, Baxter, Bowen and Glover will ride the pine unless there is and injury, foul trouble for one of our rotation players or match up problems.

I think our starting line up will eventually be:
    Yao
    Swift
    TMac
    DA
    Skip

I think it is possible that we could see a line up like:
    Swift
    TMac
    Anderson
    Wesley
    Skip...to maximize our speed and athletisism

or

Yao
    JHOw
    Swift
    TMac
    Anderson ...to maximize a tall line up.

The Rockets can play any type of line up and match up with basically anyone with the group of players they have and stay with in a 9 man rotation.