1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

WHOA!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by A-Train, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

CC is currently under investigation by the Justice Department and the FCC for their trade practices. They have been accused in 10 states of forcing promoters and radio stations out of business and for operating radio stations through secondary businesses that can be traced back to them. In other words, after they purchase the maximum number of stations in a given market, they use a partially owned subsidiarry to buy more but then hand out the dictates of the station. Of course they deny it, but they were forced to sell 3 stations in Houston over these allegations - they folded them instead.

Further allegations include over-bidding on concerts to force out smaller promoters. They do it because they have no advertising costs since the methods of distribution - radio stations and billboards. They overbid and then increase the cost of tickets to consumers. Since they bought Pace, ticket prices have increased in some markets where they have particularly dense ownership by 30 percent.

Even worse, several states have charged unfair business practices claiming that CC tells its advertising clients that if they want to advertise on ANY of their stations, they cannot advertise on a rival station. Apparently, this has become common practice in many markets throughout the US.

When you control the airwaves, the promotion and the outdoor advertising, you are in a position of tremendous power. It's bad for everyone.

To make matters worse, there are rumblings that they want to buy USA Networks, mainly so they can get their hands on two key assets: Citysearch, the largest website network for individual US markets and Ticketmaster, the largest ticket broker in the world. If that isn't monopolizing the market, I have no idea what is.

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Jeff - good points. I might add that at the time the Dixie Chicks made the comment, they were at the pinnicle of their career and arguably the music industry at that time. That record was so good, I was contemplating buying it and I can't stand CW. So the words from someone at the top carries farther than those further down (other bands). Also, I would say that CW world has a unreal % of people who were/are 100% backing of the president and the war. Not a good thing to say if you want these people to see your shows and buy your records.

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Geez, ya start a thread about spanking it to a pic of some nekkid country artists, and it turns into a rant on corporate monopolies. :D

Until somebody shows me PROOF that the magazine cover is significantly altered, my vaseline isn't going anywhere!

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Maybe the WMD were airbrushed from Iraq.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

on that point, we agree...

they aint nothin special, decent at best..Lita Ford at 40+ blows the best Dixie Chick away...;)

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You should try hair conditioner, it's a lot more...er, uh....I think that picture is OBSCENE! :p

BTW, that ain't Natalie's body!

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

back on topic, those heads are superimposed I think.

Off topic:
    In addition to what jeff cited, I've seen reports that radio ad prices have increased dramatically in CC dominated markets. I'm too busy to look up the link on it, but its out ther somewhere.

#67 SamFisher, Apr 24, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2003
  8. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Supposedly the entire Matrix like sex scene in Fight Club was computer generated after they used motion capture on some practice scenes with the actors.

9. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

no answer?

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it depends...it depends on who set it up...what its purpose is...the other factors i listed. no one factor alone gets it, really.

but you're arguing in a bubble...there is no way a court would find this to be a government agency. no way in hell. i can't believe we're even arguing this.

11. MadMax

give me a break...i've been in court for the last three freaking hours

12. MadMax

interesting..thanks for the info. were any other stations pulling the plug on their records?? if clear channel was the only one, i can see the makings of an argument...but if others did too, independent of clear channel...well....that would pretty much kill the clear channel argument for the dixie chicks. maybe they'll try to assert these claims in the courts...

13. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Amazing what a little air brushing will do

14. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

The radio market is in pretty bad shape so that would surprise me. Not alot of advertisers are spendign money and when they do they're askign for value-adds (more free spots, tag lines, etc)

15. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

the one in the middle looks jacked

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

17. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

What's this nifc link in your sig? the pdf file locks up my browser. The main site is a fire fighting thing.

18. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Neither remotely hot nor un-American, IMO.

19. MadMax

unbelievable....so if you sponsor a rally, you're the government. don't worry that actual citizens have to show up to a rally to make it worth a damn....don't worry that sheila jackson lee was invited to the rally, either. they're the government. clear channel personally selects the president and most of congress. the p.o. box you pay taxes to, is actually just a front for clear channel

the only problem with all this is it diminishes ya'll's notions about halliburton...unless halliburton and clear channel are actually the same thing!!!! holy crap!!!! i bet they fly black helicopters too!

20. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I know at least one other station has still not returned the Dixie Chicks to the airwaves that isn't owned by Clear Channel or one of their shadow-owned stations - The Wolf in Dallas.... at least according to the people on the Ticket who keep talking about it on the air.

And, it's my understanding that Cumulus stations have also not returned the Dixie Chicks to the air. As far as I know Cumulus is not affiliated with Clear Channel (not even backhandedly), but I could be wrong on that.