1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would you have taken in the draft....?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Oct 13, 2012.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not sure why this guy is so favored on Clutchfans. Have you not seen him play yet in the pre-season???

Melo might be a serviceable backup center one day in the NBA, but it wont be with the team that drafted him. He's a long long way away from being even serviceable right now off the bench, and no team is going to make a long term investment into him. He's going to bounce around quite a bit in the next few years so there really isn't much of point in drafting him right now is there when you can just pick up a player like him in free agency for peanuts ALA Ryan Hollins, or Miki Moore.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think Lamb at 12 was a solid pick

-At #16 I would have taken Zeller myself that day, but if the Rockets would have taken him there, its a good chance that Terrence Jones would have been taken at 17. I do think Jones is going to be a better player than Zeller in all honesty so this is probably what I would have done knowing what I know now.

12. Lamb
    13. Marshall
    14. Henson
    15. Harkless
    16. Jones
    17. Zeller
    18. Sullinger

-Sullinger is a beast down low, and he is by far the best low post player in this past years draft, and a hell of a rebounder. Yes, he has some potential health issues, but you have to take a chance on a talent and a winner like Sullinger.

Im not totally given up yet on Royce White. I think he's still a swing for the fences rookie right now that could payback dividends in the future. However, the NBA eats up kids like him all the time, and I personally would have rather taken my chances on a red flag health with top 5 talent, then questions about off the court issues in a top 8 talent.

3. allanivan

allanivan Member

12:Lamb, very solid, better than Terrence Ross(8) and Austin Rivers(10)
    16: Royce White, has so much potential (Top 5 talents in the draft like Morey said). However, the mental issue is a huge risk, very unpredictable.
    Perry Jones, Tony Wroten, Quincy Miller, Will Barton. Convert the pick into two of these four players.
    18: Terrence Jones, really solid pick, he was playing Center last game vs Hornets when Chandler Bang was playing PF. That should be a really fun small team to watch.

4. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Lamb, Terrence Jones and Perry Jones in that order

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

White was worth the risk. We had 3 lotto picks. We need to swing for the fences with one of the picks and that was what the White pick was. He a skills/size combination that only top 3 picks generally have.

6. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

People think that White could turn out amazing because he has a unique set of skills. I feel that its is default if the basic skills are not up to par. White is undersized in terms of the 4 position because of his height and athleticism ( he is stong though). He is also too slow and his shot isnt there (could and will develop) at the three. Being a good passer is great and all but I feel that his limitiations outweigh his unique talents and this will hinder him from being a great player. This is just my opinion.

On another note, I like lamb and jones from before the draft and was dissappointed we didnt take perry jones III

7. alethios

alethios Member

I would have liked it if we could have traded up for a more impactful player, like Lillard, Robinson or MKG, but since those trade-ups fell through, I agree with AXG on Lamb, Zeller and PJIII.

8. Sen89

Sen89 Member

This.

I think the two feasible risks were White and PJ3. I love Perry, but White was a fine risk to take.

9. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

White is a monster in the paint in 2k.

10. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

I would've still taken white. I liked this draft. I think we got the best picks from where we drafted at. I'm not too worried about the center position either.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Same players, but I would have taken Terrence Jones first, then Royce White.

12. Arthurprescott2

Maybe Tyler Zeller might have been a better pick than RW. Aside from that no other picks I would have rather taken. Perry Jones III and Jared Sullinger look great but that's only w/ 20/20 hindsight. We'll have to see how they hold up physically, but I do love their BBall IQ - especially Sully. W/r/t Fab Melo, dude has no idea how to play basketball. He's athletic but truly has low bball IQ.

13. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Would have still taken Royce White. I think the reward is worth the risk, I can see him becoming an absolute beast in this league. Also he's a like-able guy who's easy to root for, and I really hope he is able to make it despite his condition.

14. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Truth is I'm still angry at Toronto for not trading for Lowry during the Draft and allowing us to pick up Andre Drummond or even Myers Leonard (who has a ton of potential to go along with his freakish athleticism).

I also believe that we should have also received Jonas Valanciunas with the Toronto pick for Kyle Lowry...just my opinion.

15. trowa

trowa Member

pretty happy with the current draft

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

HAHAHAHA! [​IMG]

17. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

Lamb White Jones...Im satisfied. White will be fine!

18. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

The annual pre-season we should've drafted this player/center instead thread.

Just sign Hassan Whiteside the free agent.

19. Oscarzero

Oscarzero Member

I would draft the same 3 players. No one would argue against the choice for Lamb and TJ and the only question mark is on Royce White. He is definitely a gamble, a superstar prospect but have chance to utilize just 1 % of his talents. But hey, why not? Even if we draft someone else who is more productive now, what happens next is we would stuck at 13-15 again. What we need is superstar prospect, a franchise player, someone like Durant or Howard, we need this type of prospects. White has that potential. Even if we lose the gamble, we could still get a high pick next year and draft the best player(s) on 2013.

White is a good pick for us. And to be honest, other than Davis, there aren't any players that are talented enough to be superstar this year. Most of them would be solid contributors but not franchise players. Even Kid-Gilchrist aren't good enough.

20. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I would have taken Lamb,Jones,Sullinger