1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would you have? Carmelo Anthony or Andrei Kirilenko?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DeAleck, Mar 30, 2006.

?

Who would you rather have?

1. Carmelo Anthony

85 vote(s)
    37.6%
  2. Andrei Kirilenko

141 vote(s)
    62.4%
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

well presuming that guys who can put up 27 ppg (at age 21 no less) are a dime a dozen in the league still, the team led by Anthony is cruising to a division title while AK47's team is posting yet another losing record and will miss the playoffs again. Wake me up when he's in the postseason not as a caddy to Karl Malone.

I know who the bigger star is. Variety is nice, but I'll take a star player over a role player 10x out of 10 - unless I am playing Fantasy Basketball. Then AK-47 has a high value. Otherwise, it's like arguing that Rodney McCray was better than Clyde Drexler because Rodney was more versatile. Fine and dandy, but Clyde was a much better player.

#41 SamFisher, Mar 31, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  2. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

See, these kinds of remarks are very misleading.

If you say (counting only points):
    Carmelo is a 26 guys, AK is a 15 guy. Then Carmelo beats AK in a landslide.

If you say(points + rebounds):
    Carmelo is a 26/5 guy, and AK is a 15/8 guy. Carmelo still looks better.

If you say (add assists):
    Carmelo is a 26/5/2.5 guy, and AK is a 15/8/4 guy. Then things might look alittle closer;

If you say (add blocks + steals):
    Carmelo is a 26/5/2.5/0.5/1 guy, and AK is a 15/8/4/3/1.5 guy. Then things look really different.

That's the point. Judging these two, you can't just throw out the points/game stats and call it case closed. The only thing Carmelo is better at is scoring, and AK is better at everything else. Who would you take? Scoring or everything else? Well, that's what the poll is for. And please, don't bring race into this kind of thing. There is no need for that. The overly used race card sucks and is getting old.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Do you really think that points should be weighted equally to blocks/steals?

One's a star player, one's not.

One's 21 and is scoring 27 ppg and will probably go past 30 and contend for scoring titles if he continues to mature.

The other is the kind of guy who looks like he has plateaued at about half that range, around 15 ppg. Not bad, but a career second fiddle - IF even that.

Sure - Kirilenko's a great complementary player - but Anthony's a star, and his star is rising. It's no contest, comparing them in the abstract.

4. DeAleck

Defense take away points from the other team. If the end goal is to make sure you team scores more than the other team, then there are two ways to do that. Offense AND defense.

Eddy Curry and Ben Wallace are both centers. Eddy Curry scores more points than Wallace and is younger, would you take Curry over Wallace.

I know this comparison is not perfect, but you know what I mean. There is nothing wrong saying you want to take Carmelo over Kirilenko, just like there is nothing wrong arguing that Duncan is better than Garnett, or Lebron better than Tmac. To me, I think Carmelo and AK are close enough so I made this poll.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Ak gets hurt to much...Melo for me please.

DD

6. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

good post.

K just came of a major injury(saying that he is not one of the top players in this league is just silly) Melo is on a WAY better team.

In my opinion I would not build around Melo, I honestly think once he gets his MAX money he's gonna go back to his usual lazy self. Go back to being Melo of 04-05'.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

These 3 stats...

Melo --- 2.5/ 0.5/ 1

AK --- 4/ 3/ 1.5

...aren't enough to give AK the edge over Melo -- not even close. AK is a great player -- Melo is an elite talent and proven champion.

8. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Andrei Kirilenko 27YRS OLD
    2002-03 FGA 8.0 %45.0
    2003-04 FGA 11.9 %49.1
    2004-05 FGA 10.2 %44.3
    2005-06 FGA 10.8 %49.3

Carmelo Anthony
    2003-04 FGA 17.9 %42.6
    2004-05 FGA 16.4 %43.1
    2005-06 FGA 19.7 %48.5

there three poing % is about the same, around 30% each

obviously someone is scoring more for a reason.

K is a team player.

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

That's crazy. I like AK-47 a lot, but to say that Melo scores more because he isn't a team player is ludicrous. Melo scores more because he's a gifted scorer that can create his own shot. He's probably the best inside/outside swingman in the league today. He can post you up, shoot over guys from mid-range with the best of them, and he's got an excellent first step for a SF and can finish in the lane despite contact.

AK-47's handle and shot are adequate but not particular impressive. He doesn't have a noticeable post game, and he gets a lot of his points on garbage buckets. He plays in a system offense and operates efficiently, but offensively speaking, he's pretty much a role player. There's a lot more to offense than shooting percentages.

If Kirilenko had Melo's offensive skills, you better believe that he's be a top ten scorer no matter how much of a team player he is.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Your argument makes zero sense.

Allow me to add...

Melo's team 40-32

AK's team 34-37

Will AK make through the rest of the season with out getting hurt..?

11. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

for the Rockets... I would pick AK.. but not for the same reasons as everyone else did.. I think he would go good with all the other injury prone players the Rockets have. :D

[/sarcasm]

I would pick Carmelo cause he isn't injury prone.

12. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

K takes about 10 shots less than Melo....with his shooting percentage around 45% ...that's about 9-10 ponits more per game! He averages about 15Pts right now, add the 10 more and you got a guy getting about 25Pts/game. Now compare him to Melo. (however you guys think K can't create his own shot, which i think is a joke, he can, he's like Ming, he plays unselfishly) This is my opinion guys, there are no facts, we can argue all night. :)

Sorry guys I just don't think Melo is a complete player. There are about 20-30 player in the league today that i would take ahead of Melo. I just wouldn't invest MAX money after seeing how he played last year.

13. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

And Melo isn't? Trust me, watch a few Nugs games. If Melo had ANYONE on the team who could somewhat accurately shoot, his assists would almost double.

14. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

i saw plenty of his games last year. This year i have not gotten the chance to see too many games. I'm sure he's having a wonderful contract season ;)

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If Kirilenko took more shots, defenses would be forced to adjust. You can say that he's a smart player, but it's because he takes smart shots that he shoots less.

OTOH, Melo is the focus of other team's defense most of the time and he's taking that many shots while getting similar %ages.

You can't extrapolate AK's shot attempts and claim he's just as good as Melo offensively.

16. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Defense is half the game. Some people love the big offensive numbers, but I'll take a guy that can, at times, shut down an opposing team by himself.

The Nuggets are only a threat to do anything when Camby is healthy. Why do you think that is?

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It depends on the situation.

If you're looking for a player to build around, you go w/ Melo. I hate the guy but he is a star that can close out games.

If you're looking to add one of these guys to an established team, you go w/ AK-47. The guy has all the intangibles in the world but I he isn't the type of player that you can rely on taking over a game IMO.

18. tsin

tsin Member

Carmelo Anthony
    but if ak is always healthy......

19. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

carmela is more talented, but both are good. :)

20. DeAleck

I agree. There is no question Carmelo Anthony is a better offensive player, team player or not. However, a better offensive player doesn't mean he's a better player.

#60 DeAleck, Apr 1, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2006