1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would you give the MLE too?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, May 8, 2010.

Tags:
?

What MLE guy do you want?

1. Brendan Haywood

196 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. Mike Miller

76 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. Ray Allen

170 vote(s)
    41.1%
  4. Kyle Korver

47 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. Raymond Felton

27 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. Udonis Haslem

38 vote(s)
    9.2%
  7. Matt Barnes

27 vote(s)
    6.5%
  8. Travis Outlaw

61 vote(s)
    14.7%
  9. Roger Mason

16 vote(s)
    3.9%
  10. Other (please specify)

30 vote(s)
    7.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Why Allen if we have Martin? I say Haywood would make a beast backup C for Yao.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If we get a legit power forward--whether it be Bosh, Jefferson, Amare, or even Boozer--I don't think this team will be in a desperate need for an MLE-money backup center even if *knocks on wood* Yao goes down again. If we get a big name FA power forward and keep Scola, I think that front line is still more than capable.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think trade or not, our two biggest needs are a backup big and backup 2.

I think the draft is big heavy so its likely we get our center there and the FA market is wing heavy so I think we get our 2 there.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Oh I agree with you that we need a better back up center than what Mr. Andersen can provide. I just don't think we need to drop MLE (~$7 mil a year) on a backup center. The days of Kelvin Cato should be forgotten.

5. larsv8

Why do you think they would be paying less than market?

Theres a ton of free agents out there and only so much mone. I can't always account for bird rights, but I think 80% of these guys go for MLE or less, whether they come here or not. Allen might command more, but he is the "type" of player/guy who I could envision taking the MLE.

@Saleem

Most of these guys are UFA. Theres a couple like Barnes who have player options but its for a pretty low amounts, so its likely they opt out, even if its just to get a bigger deal from thier own team. I'm pretty sure all of these guys will be available, atleast to hear offers.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think a center from the draft is going to be a project. That's why it's more likely to get one through a trade or the MLE,although I too feel that we shouldn't give a Kelvin Cato like contract.

BPA is best way to go through the draft. It can give us another asset for a trade like Donte Green.
    Thanks for answering my question regarding the UFA's.

7. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

why sign one of these dudes when morey is drafting? :)

i bet we draft someone better than these guys.

think morey can pull another amazing guard out of his @ss like he did with aaron brooks?

...i do, go daryl morey!

1 person likes this.
  8. Chamillionaire

i`d take pretty much everyone on that list, they all do something well and would help us a lot.

9. mms

mms Member

I voted for Outlaw. Assuming we get Bosh, most likely Battier and 2 of Hayes/Hill/Scola will be gone. Outlaw can play 3 and 4 so he is a good addition to this team.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'd been thinking about it like we'd be giving the full MLE to one of those guys. If we're splitting it up or even just using part of it, that's another story.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would take a good, long look at Shannon Brown, Amir Johnson and Ike Diogu...

I would LOVE to grab Shaun Livingston as well... He looked fantastic for the Wizards in his last 20 or so games...

#71 RudyTBag, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Amir Johnson was high on this board a few yrs back when he was with Detroit. Livingston is interesting because he did show flashes that made him a top pick a few yrs back. The thing about shaun is he needs to be in an offense with the ball in his hands. If you take the ball out his hands, you really take away his greatest gifts as a basketball player. If i were the knicks, he would be on my radar big time.

larsv8, I'm still trying to rationalize why allen would come to houston and come off the bench for mle money when he can get more and start for boston?

13. Rocketman81

Rocketman81 Member

Give it to Shaq for 2 years with team option for the 2nd. Draft Whiteside. He could learn alot from Yao and Shaq and be ready to take over when Shaq's contract is over.

14. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Or some other deal.

The big thing about the MLE is that it lets you increase your team salary, and hence your overall team talent. As somebody else said, DM is all about increasing pieces for trading, i.e., overall team talent. That's why we'll use it, even if it doesn't give us a piece at a position that we can immediately use. Look at Jeffries: he was quite redundant, wasn't he?

Sure, we're deep at every position, but we need to upgrade at least one position if possible, and you do that by trading two lesser players with decent contracts for one better player, or one lesser player plus filler for one better player and a player with a bad contract

So, the MLE will probably fill a hole created with another trade.

Having said that, going by the rules of the thread, I'd take Haywood because he's a C.

15. larsv8

Leeb, it doesnt really matter what I say to you and I mean absolutely no disrespect by this at all in any way. You live in a box. You think one way, you form your opinions and you don't change them no matter what anyone says. Does it really matter what I say, because you just arent the type of guy to change your mind, once something gets in your head.

But just for fun......

1.) Maybe he doesnt like the cold weather in Boston.
    2.) Maybe he has heard great things and wants to play for Adelman.
    3.) Maybe money isn't important to him.
    4.) Maybe he doesnt like Kevin Garnett or Rajon Rondo.
    5.) Maybe Boston doesnt want him anymore.
    6.) Maybe Boston offers him 2 years 14 million and we offer 4 years 22 million.
    7.) Maybe he developed a relationship with Morey when he brought him to Boston.

Who knows? The point really wasnt to debate who would come here and who wouldnt. It was who should we throw the MLE at.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, I think both of these guys could still develop some, and have a payoff bigger than market value. Amir Johnson is still as young as a few guys coming out of the draft.

You are 100% correct on the Livingston/Knicks pairing...

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

larsv8, i am open to common sense and logic. Some or most of your reasons make 0 sense.

He doesnt like the cold? Signed at UConn,drafted by the bucks,traded to seattle where he signed another extension,and won a title in boston.

Its true he doesnt care for garnettg with the foul language, but rondo is cool.

How did morey bring him to boston in 07 when he was in houston already?

Again,boston offers him the most of what he's looking for. He's closer to a ring,he can start, and they can pay more.

Now use some common sense and put yourself in allen shoes. If he's going to take less,its going to be for a team still close to a title.

18. devilsdandruff

i would spend the MLE on Lebron James.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Haywood is the only player worth the MLE.

20. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

How bout Allen?

I'm looking at it through my pof, not his, just to be clear.

I think he could be a perfect Martin insurance, just incase Martin goes down with another injury.