1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would you give the MLE too?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, May 8, 2010.

Tags:
?

What MLE guy do you want?

1. Brendan Haywood

196 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. Mike Miller

76 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. Ray Allen

170 vote(s)
    41.1%
  4. Kyle Korver

47 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. Raymond Felton

27 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. Udonis Haslem

38 vote(s)
    9.2%
  7. Matt Barnes

27 vote(s)
    6.5%
  8. Travis Outlaw

61 vote(s)
    14.7%
  9. Roger Mason

16 vote(s)
    3.9%
  10. Other (please specify)

30 vote(s)
    7.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I can't find the offseason thread and MLE targets havent really been discussed much so I figure I would see who is most popular fit wise. Try and limit your top three choices. Lets assume our roster stays exactly the same and no big trades are made. Doesnt have to be the whole MLE either.

My top 3 would be a backup SG: Ray Allen, Mike Miller, or Kyle Korver (I know I know, but he shot 50% from 3!)

2. G-Money

G-Money Member

Actually, Kyle Korver would be an awesome fit for this team.

3. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

I don't see anyone at interest. Except for Haslem. This guy could fit in man...He hustles and is always willing to do the dirty work. With a decent jumper too.

4. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Take Korver off that list.

I voted for Miller, Felton (he will get more than the MLE though), and Allen (same as Felton).

Maybe even Brendan Haywood.

If you are going to use it to sign someone, sign the best players just like the NBA draft. Always go for the best players. Figure out what works and trade later.

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Haywood. He will be a good backup for Yao.

6. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

seriously? Felton with only 4 votes?

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Most pressing need is a C. Haywood is the only C on that list.

Therefore, Haywood.

8. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Haywood or Outlaw

--RB

10. sbyang

sbyang Member

Depends on the length of the deal.

If it's 2 or even 3 years give me Ray Allen.

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

Haywood would be an ideal backup for Yao. I would give him the full MLE even though he will be 35 at the end of a 5 year contract. However, true centers are at a premium so you would have to risk it, even with his reputation as being kinda lazy. He would still get 20-25 mins per game next year and probably at least 20 or so over the remainder of the contract even if Yao stays healthy, since I doubt they will use Yao for longer than 30 mins per game.

I would also have offered Gortat the full MLE last year but he turned us down. In hindsight I'm glad he didn't lock us up for 7 days because we would probably have missed out on Ariza then.

On that list I would offer Ray Allen the full MLE but 2-3 years max. Korver is shooting lights out but I can't stand the little guy, specially since he plays with the Jazz. Mike Miller I'm not sure about, he has declined and we already have our own Mike Miller with C-Bud. The other Miller, Brad, I would take but not for a 5 year contract. 2-3 tops and I would rather use LLE.

As for the rest of the players they wouldn't approach full MLE for any of them, not even Outlaw.

12. NMS is the Best

Thank you larsv8! Finally a thread worth discussing!!

I like Mike Miller. He's a good shooter who'd fit well on this team...

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

I know you can never have too many decent shooters on a team, but I honestly don't believe there is a need for Miller on this team. Not when you have Martin and Budinger playing close to the same positions.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Actually, if we really don't do anything big in the offseason, the MLE is virtually useless to this team. Yao's backup will come from the draft. And we're basically 2-deep at every position. Unless a player suffers an injury in the offseason, we have no need for MLE-level players.

The only reason why the MLE may actually matter is in case we send away several players in a trade. If Budinger and Hill leaves for Bosh, then Ray Allen may be a good option, for example. But as they stand right now, the Rockets have no need for simple rotation players.

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

Good player, but on our team I wouldn't give him the full MLE. I wouldn't give Kyle Lowry the full MLE either and even though Felton is better than Lowry I wouldn't give him full MLE if we can keep Lowry for less.

Now, if we lost either Lowry/Brooks due to a trade I would gladly give him the full MLE. Hopefully that trade would address our backup center issues, like Bosh that could slide from the 4 to the 5.

However, as we are currently constructed, I wouldn't give him full MLE.

16. larsv8

With Martin as fargile as he is, I would not feel comfortable with Taylor starting games.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Am I missing something, or is Taylor somehow ahead of Battier and Budinger now on the depth chart? Even dismissing Martin, what team can't function with 3 guys rotating the SG/SF spots?

18. larsv8

Youre right...

I guess I am sorta breaking my own rule here but in the back of my mind I feel like either Ariza or Battier wont be here next year :)

19. DJ

DJ Member

We already have Trevor Ariza, Shane Battier, Kevin Martin, and the Black Joe Johnson. Why do we need to sign another 2/3 when we have plenty? It's already hard to distribute the minutes among those 4 players and people want to add another 2/3. If we were talking about a 2/3 on or near the level of Wade/Kobe or at least an upgrade to what we already have, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to add another wing. However, it would be better if we invest in someone with size, like Brendan Haywood.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Not to dismiss the thread,but alot of guys can be elimated by why?

Why would allen and haywood take the mle money to backup someone when they can start? Same can be said for felton also. Why do you need korver,outlaw,and miller when martin and ariza are starting and chase and shane are on the bench already? Now if the team loss ariza,shane,and chase via a trade, i would give outlaw the mle.