1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Who would you build around: Stoudemire or Griffin?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BetterThanEver, Jan 23, 2011.

?

Who would you build around: Stoudemire or Griffin?

1. Stoudemire

5.7%
  2. Blake Griffin

94.3%
  1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If you were the Knicks or Clippers, who would you build around?

Both players have their share of injury problems.

Stoudemire and the Knicks have a winning record, while the Clippers continue to lose.

Blake Griffin is putting up amazing numbers, but the Clippers are still in the lottery/bottom feeder territory.

2. k-money

k-money Member

griffin because he is younger and stoudimemire i wouldnt say old but i wauldnt say young either.

3. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Wow.

It's crazy to know that Stoudemire is in his late 20s.

Very sad. :(

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Griffin all day every day...the guy plays mean, plays hard, and is a much better team player.

I would take Griffin even if they were both 21 years old.

Griffin will whipe the floor with Stoudamire once their careers are finished.

DD

5. gambingo

gambingo Member

Clippers are winning right now though.....7-3 in their last 10 games while the Knicks went 3-7 for their last 10 having lost 6 straight.

6. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

why griffin? he's all highlights..

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Too early to say. All of Griffin's warts haven't come out yet. Amare is a known commodity.

If you view Griffin on potential, he clearly has a much higher upside than Amare. He's a better rebounder & passer and his basketball IQ surpasses Amare's as a rookie by a wide margin. He is much less selfish and more of a team player.

Of course, health is a huge concern with both players, especially the reckless abandon with which Griffin plays. He'll have to tone it down to last in the NBA.

8. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'd go with Griffin because he is younger, for one. He's also the more versatile player.

Stoudemire may be the better pure scorer, but Griffin is a better rebounder and defender while also getting his fair share of points.

9. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Ok, this is silly. Griffin plays very similar to Stoudemire as a young player. If they were both 21 and have the same skills as they do now, it would be a no brainer that you'd take Stoudemire.

I don't buy the "he's a better team player" stuff either. Stoudemire is his team's leader and an MVP candidate

10. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

that being said, i'd go with griffin because he's so young and has such an upside

11. gah

gah Member

There’s no question, I shouldn’t even mention a choice. I would be flabbergasted by any GM picking otherwise.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If both players are the same age, Amar'e rather easily. Stoudemire's career numbers would might be a little bit higher, if he weren't in Phoenix, he did have all of the following players who could field more scoring options: Nash, Marion, Joe Johnson, Stephon Marbury, Shaquille O'Neal; Jason Richardson; Grant Hill; Quentin Richardson; Leandro Barbosa; and etc.

So 20 shots a game and being in that system was not going allow him to be a 25+ ppg type of player every year.

Amare, then and even now has more range and versatility to his game than Blake Griffin, and I would even argue pre-injury Amare was more athletic (while also being a bit taller).

13. VBG

VBG Member

I would pick Amar'e.

I'm not sure about the way Griffin plays. He's gonna get injured and he might turn into a Grant Hill after injuries

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

As a rookie, Amare was about as selfish a player as ever was. On top of it, he didn't play very intelligently either. When comes to on-court smarts, Griffin this year blows away Amare as a rookie. Of course, after 8 seasons in the NBA, Amare has learned quite a bit. He's a leader now but was anything but a leader early in his career. We don't know yet how Griffin will develop in that regard.

15. Superdave532

Superdave532 Member

I disagree, I would definitely take Griffin over Stoudemire even if they were both 21. Blake has a much more polished game than Stoudemire did at Blake's age, including better rebounding and midrange shooting ability. He's averaging 4 more rebounds per game than Amare at the same age, and 3.5 more than his career year. His 3.5 assists are also 2 more than Stoudemire's career average. He's a more willing passer, better rebounder, and looks to be every bit the scorer Amare is - in his rookie year.

And I would also agree that Griffin is the better team player. Stoudemire plays all out when he can get a spectacular dunk. Griffin plays all out when he can save a ball from going out of bounds 2 minutes into the first quarter. That, to me, is the difference between Stoudemire and Griffin, but it's also the difference between Griffin and the rest of the elite in the league.

Plays like that are what inspire your teammates to elevate their game, especially when you add in everything else he does.

16. tomato

tomato Member

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Stoudamire NEVER rebounded or passes like this....never was the team player that Griffin is.

Not silly, it is 100% accurate.

DD

18. Convictedstupid

If both remain healthy for the remainder of their career's, it's not even a question. Griffin.

19. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Griffin looks like a player you could build around. I wouldn't build around Amare regardless of his age.

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

Sort of injuries derailing Griffin's career I am certain that people will be talking about Amare as a poor man's Griffin.