1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would make for good moderators in the D&D forum?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Clutch, Nov 26, 2018.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good test case to see if theres really such a thing as a moderate anymore when it comes to politics. Hard to find a candidate that one side won’t think of as bias.

Still I think @B-Bob would be a good choice. @Rashmon wouldnt be bad either.

2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Do you guys really want someone who thinks Russia is paying me to post on a basketball forum 2 years after the election as a mod?

Might as well email Alex Jones and see if he's interested

cml750 likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@rocketsjudoka - to me is the epitome of what a mod should be

I could never support @AroundTheWorld after he doxed me and put my place of work on here. I think that outside of many of the insults, that alone should disqualify someone from being a mod.

Anyone with a divisive history shouldn't be a mod including @Space Ghost, @Bandwagoner @Astrodome on the right and @CometsWin @SamFisher on the left, and definitely the worst person to be a mod is yours truly.

Some other candidates include @Refman and @justtxyank

#183 Sweet Lou 4 2, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Just the used hair gel back is all

#184 LosPollosHermanos, Nov 27, 2018
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I lurk 99.9% of the time now, but I think the board would improve without being heavy handed if one of @Haymitch , @durvasa , @Deji McGever or @Rashmon were a moderator. I feel like they're not aligned with any particular organization's mindset, they understand the the issues are connected to actual life, and skilled at separating personal attacks from points.

Not sure if any of them would want to do it, but they'd be good at it imo.

P.S. I don't hate @AroundTheWorld , in fact just the other day I was wondering whether he ended up calling his kid Adolf or not.

I'M KIDDING lol Hope he's well.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the nods. I don't mind being a mod, but I would probably let most things fly here unless it gets to the level of threats and whatnot. It would be nice if people actually saw the perspective of others and truly tried to understand it rather than belittle it and dismiss it and turn the person they are having a political disagreement with into an enemy. We forget how much nuance and depth gets lost in communication across a message board. We can't see the person's facial or body expression and we can't hear the way in which they are saying what they are trying to say and we are limited to a few words exchanged over long periods of time rather and an in depth back and forth.

We tend to forget that this political chatter is only one aspect of our lives and sometimes it's simply an outlet for our frustration and it gets manifested against others to a level beyond what the topic of discussion even is. We all came to this place as Rockets fans and we forget that sometimes. One of my best friends in my life would probably be somewhere between @SamFisher and @NewRoxFan with politics and we have our back and forths, but in the end it's a separate part of our relationship. I've had some stupid political fights with my dad who is always in the **** you Democrat corner lol, and I generally try to argue the other side when I'm talking to him and I don't hate him because of his politics and I always try to think about his point of view even if I disagree. In the end both of these situations with my dad and my friend are more about picking a side/team and sticking to it rather than "politics" and I don't know if we recognize this all the time.

Another thing that changed my perspective of message boards and internet discussions is from a MMA message board where they were trying to keep the fighters from leaving due to trolls and assholes. Basically it was don't say anything you wouldn't say to the fighter's face in real life. In the long run the trolls and assholes won, but I still try to use that mindset with internet discussions. FWIW our political internet discussions don't get too crazy relative to some other places.

Anyhow...I don't have any hopes that this will change anyone's perspective because we are on the internet discussing politics.....but maybe it will a little bit.

7. Buck Turgidson

Personally, after actually reading this whole thread after midnight on a Monday, this is how I'd roll with the whole "moderator" thing: You'll need 7 of them of sound mind and specializing in certain areas, and their decisions (majority rules) may be endorsed or vetoed at will by the Benevolent Dictator:

@B-Bob (scientician)
    @Major (stoic)
    @JuanValdez (cannot quantify nor qualify, but he likes art)
    @bobrek (anthropologist)
    @Haymitch (jester)
    @MadMax (shaman)
    @either @justtxyank or @juicystream, not sure which because I still can't tell them apart after a decade but they both seem pretty sharp

oh, and @Pole is in charge of snacks at the meetings.

Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Agreed

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Major

Major Member

If they want the job, I would put these two in charge and call it a day. Both of them are more interested in info and facts than partisan nonsense, and neither fits clearly into the liberal/conservative dichotomy.

10. Buck Turgidson

They're 2 of my favorite bbs people, I just don't know which one I'm talking to. The great thing is, it never really matters.

Deckard, Major and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cool angle, you made a RPG party out of that.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I think you'd make a great mod.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sarcasm ain't your bag, baby

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I would endorse you but . .. . i think that would work against you

LOL

Rocket River

Deckard and Haymitch like this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

IF someone is a Russian Troll .. . .then they are just a Russian Troll . .. .
    LMAO

I think the MOD Powers should be
    Level 1: a Good Talking too to those who cannot behave
    Level 2: I dunno if this is possible but . .. . basically add the two combatants to reach other's ignore list - i.e. In the Great Granville vs BobbyTheGreat discussion . . . if the Moderator simply made it so they could not see each others post it might have died on the vine . . . .. . sure there are work arounds and quoted threads . . .. and if they continue on that path through these means
    LEVEL 3: Temporary Ban Hammer tap . . .a True Time out - Since the Precedent has been set . . . no more than 3 weeks (aka the Bobby rule)
    Lastly
    The LEVEL 4 Absolute ban hammer . - They out of here

Rocket River

16. cml750

cml750 Member

I agree however I do believe a mod could have kept that thread that led to this from devolving to the low point that it did. I believe a mod is only needed to stop such threads from devolving to such a point. Even though the left and the right here vehemently disagree on just about everything, the arguments are clean for the most part and it is rare actual personal insults are used. Even when they are used people have not gotten too carried away except in rare occasions. A heavy handed mod or one who uses the power to sway debate is not needed and would really make the D&D worse. Very little should change here. We just need someone to recognize when people are getting angry and hurling personal insults and put a stop to it as fast as possible while leaving their own political leanings out of it. A mod should let most of the back and forths go without stepping in any more than reminding people in an intense argument to be careful.

#196 cml750, Nov 27, 2018
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

All that was needed was someone with a 'bit' of authority saying
    SimmahDahwnNah!!!
    and all would have stopped

Rocket River

cml750 likes this.
  18. cml750

cml750 Member

Exactly!!!

Deckard and Rocket River like this.
  19. Newlin

Newlin Member

@J.R. is the only logical choice. He's here 24 hours per day, and he can multitask.

Deckard, Amiga, cml750 and 1 other person like this.
  20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

id like to change my vote to tinman. that would be freaking awesome!

[​IMG]

justtxyank likes this.