1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who wins the bidding war for James?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 17, 2020.

?

Who wins the bidding war for James?

1. Philly

2. Boston

3. Miami

4. Brooklyn

5. Golden St.

6. New Orleans

7. Other

8. No one. He stays a Rocket.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

When I said relatively sparse interest, I don't mean zero interest. Imo the nets offer is incredibly insufficient. The fact that we haven't heard 2 or 3 or 4 teams offering more than such a weak offer is surprising to me.

Perhaps things will change, but if they don't, I predict that harden will be a rockets well into 2021.

#61 blahblehblah, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    steddinotayto likes this.
  2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I mean, I guess Boston could be in play but I’m highly skeptical. How many times have we heard about Ainge and his assets? I don’t really buy it, dude holds on to everything.

If a trade is to be made it has to be for the moon or i’m just not doing it. Harden makes any and every team so much better. Everyone that wants him knows that they are instant and legit contenders if they nab him.

Right now Simmons and a ton of pics is my preference. Hard to say what info out there is legit. Just pay up or no deal. Period.

Rudyc281, Vivi, Plowman and 1 other person like this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This is also true (Ainge holding onto assets). But I gotta think that these repeated disappointments in the ECF gotta drive him to make his team better.

4. steddinotayto

Things will change. I mean did anyone thing the Bucks were desperate enough to send all of those picks to NO for Holiday? Whoever is wanting the world to know that whatever package the Nets can offer is no good basically helped set the baseline for Harden. Now with the Holiday trade, that baseline has gone significantly higher with actual precedence.

Plowman and jch1911 like this.
  5. steddinotayto

Things will change. I mean did anyone thing the Bucks were desperate enough to send all of those picks to NO for Holiday? Whoever is wanting the world to know that whatever package the Nets can offer is no good basically helped set the baseline for Harden. Now with the Holiday trade, that baseline has gone significantly higher with actual precedence.

Plowman likes this.
  6. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

Exactly..I'd take Wiggins if our guy is available at 2 (Lamelo or Avdija for me)

7. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

Celtics trying to trade up to top 3...possibly to flip to Rockets

Rudyc281 and steddinotayto like this.
  8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Considering he’s under contract for the next two seasons and no NBA player has a no-trade clause, James Harden has no say where he will be traded. If Boston makes a suitable offer, that’s where he will go.

Unless the Nets bring a third team into a potential deal to get substantially better assets, they aren’t landing Harden right now.

#68 DVauthrin, Nov 18, 2020
    steddinotayto, Plowman and Boston84 like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

while this does sound correct on the forefront, I'll have to see it to believe it. A marquee player being held hostage for that long of a time after making it known that he prefers to be elsewhere doesn't exactly happen. Unless someone can refresh my memory the last time that happened. nobody recent comes to mind with any substantial player in the league

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, Boston assets are also always overhyped, those three picks in this draft they could offer suck, their future picks will suck, it's literally Brown plus ****, let's be clear, unless they use those picks and other players we shouldn't even care about (Kemba, Carsen Edwards etc) to land us a top pick or prospect, i'd still stay away.

And fwiw i also have doubts about the Celtics having interest in Harden, i mean, he's a great player of course, but does he really fit in what Boston has been building for years? I'm not sure about that, same argument for Miami, even though they were apparently after Westbrook too so, who knows.

mikol13 likes this.
  11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Ainge loves to play games, so I agree with you on all that you said. Overhyped assets and very little happens when you here Boston being in the mix.

Vivi likes this.
  12. DVauthrin

Anthony Davis was the only other recent superstar to request a trade with more than one year on his contract, and he made his request a few weeks before the trade deadline during the 2018-2019 season. James Harden is the first NBA superstar to request a trade with two complete seasons remaining on his contract.

As @treyk3 corrected me on, Paul George is the only marquee player that asked for a trade with two full years remaining on his contract.

#72 DVauthrin, Nov 18, 2020
  13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Paul George.

this is all because of Kawhi.

Russ wanting to be here and Harden wanting out. Both ripple effects of Kawhi.

Pretty soon we will have players asking to be traded the day after signing the super max.

14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

One reason I'm somewhat skeptical of boston offering a ton for harden is... the last time they did so, didn't exactly end well.

Not even 3 years ago they traded for a kyrie who had 2 years left on his contract but didn't have them on their prefered list.

#74 blahblehblah, Nov 18, 2020
    Vivi likes this.
  15. DVauthrin

You are correct about Paul George. He’s the only other recent example besides Harden.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

and then he was traded to LA. eventually it'll just happen is what im expecting, to where remains to be seen but I honestly don't expect him to be here too long.

pg13 was traded fresh off signing with okc after he wanted out

DVauthrin likes this.
  17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Kyrie isn't in the same stratosphere as Harden. I think Russ is the better player today.

18. DVauthrin

Oh, I don’t expect Harden to stay a Rocket much longer, either. I expect the Sixers to offer Simmons, or Boston gambles on winning a championship with him by offering a package of Jaylen Brown, picks and other assets from them or other teams. For the Nets to get Harden, they have to involve other teams to get better assets for the Rockets.

19. steddinotayto

What if:

1. Boston trades Hayward, their 3 picks this year to GSW for Wiggins, Looney, #2, plus a future 1st.
    2. Boston then takes the #2 and ships that to Houston along with Brown, Smart, Theis and a bunch of future 1sts

Warriors potential starting lineup:

C: Free Agent
    PF: Green
    SF: Hayward
    SG: Thompson
    PG: Curry

They dump Wiggins' contract and get Hayward as a one year rental but I would think both parties would be agreeable to an extension because the guy fits better than Wiggins would have. That #2 (and also that future 1st) is inconsequential for a team that as championship aspirations in the now, especially considering they get three first rounders to use in tonight's draft.

Celtics potential starting lineup:

C: Looney
    PF: Free Agent/Ojeleye
    SF: Tatum
    SG: Harden
    PG: Walker

6th: Wiggins

Is that Wiggins contract bad? Very much so but that lineup right there should put Boston in the driver's seat in the East, at least on par with the Bucks. The acquisition of Looney is underrated because Boston got killed down low by Bam in the ECF because they didn't have a weapon to use on the offensive side other than Kanter, who then gives up a lot on the defensive end. Putting Looney in the PnR role a la Capela should make things a lot easier for Walker.

*Disclaimer: This is a hypothetical post. For the ones taking my post as gospel please get up from your desk and take a nice walk*

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's possible Boston is being used just to get Philly to up the ante, but I don't think so. Either way, it should have that effect.