1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will the Rockets acquire between today and Thurs Feb 19?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rogower, Feb 8, 2015.

?

Who will the Rockets trade for between now and Thurs Feb 19?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2015.
  1. Goran Dragic

34.6%
  2. Ty Lawson

14.1%
  3. Darren Collison

1.2%
  4. Michael Carter-Williams

4.1%
  5. Reggie Jackson

3.0%
  6. Jared Dudley

0.4%
  7. Lance Stephenson

0.2%
  8. Pablo Prigioni

1.1%
  9. Somebody not listed here

25.8%
  10. Nobody, the Rockets will stand pat

15.5%
  1. Mr.ZeroFeet

Mr.ZeroFeet Member

As of right now I would NOT give-up DMo for anything. He is the only low post scorer we have and plays really good defense. We need a PG but not enough to give up our only low post scorer. If we trade for a PG its going to involve PaPa, Shved, and if he's good enough, our NO's pick. Between PaPa and Shved their salaries combine for $7.5 million dollars, which could bring in pretty good PG, I'm sure better than Beverly.

2. MONON

MONON Member

I voted "someone else" simply because DM always something besides a rabbit out of the hat at the trade deadline.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey tends to get something done at the deadline, but rarely is it the trade a real game-changer. We've had mostly relative minor pieces moving. Kyle Lowry and Goran Dragic are probably the best player Morey acquired midseason, but they were not the stars that they are now, not even close. Kevin Martin was probably the biggest name at the time of the trade-- and he was really a second-tier piece. We also got a bunch of trades made mainly for asset value-- Battier for Thabeet+Pick, Patterson for Robinson, etc. Rarely something that just screams "splash."

Not his fault or anything-- takes two to tangle and often other teams are just not ready to shift gear mid-season even if they really should do it. NBA teams often err on the side of being conservative and leave the major changes for the off-season.

I guess the best we can hope for is someone more along the young Lowry/Dragic vein-- a guy who may not seem like a huge deal now because he isn't in an ideal situation for development or may not seem like an urgent need for the roster at the moment, but is someone that Morey wanted for a couple seasons (maybe before he was drafted) and can pan out down the road (hopefully soon).

#83 Carl Herrera, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  4. baubo

baubo Member

You are making a very superficial analysis based on a history of situations that do not even closely resemble this trade deadline. When Morey first came onboard, the Rockets had no assets. Bonzi Wells, Steve Novak, Kirk Snyder, Luther Head, just thinking about those names make me want to barf. Morey built up our initial assets in Brooks, Landry, and Scola in 2009. Before then there was nothing to trade.

From 2010-2013 there was no point to make major deadline deals to upgrade the roster because we weren’t winning anything. But we did trade Battier to Memphis and helping them get into the 2nd round. That made a dramatic difference, just not for us.

Last year the Rockets had no maneuverability in terms of expirings or assets. Especially knowing the hindsight that Parsons had to be opted out, making trading him nearly impossible. Lin had negative value. Asik was just coming back from injury. Jones and DMo were mediocre. What trades are out there?

The Rockets may not get a major deal done. But at no point did the Rockets have anywhere close to salaries and trade chips they have today. The fact that Morey couldn’t get a big deal done because the best chip he had 6 years ago was Kirk Synder, has no influence on the value of what’s on the roster today.

5. thevirus

thevirus Member

Absolutely,Dragic.He is the best choice of us.
    But,I think MCW will most likely come to Rox.76ers is trading everything they got,just for some young players and picks.

6. Nils

Nils Member

So....the message that you're sending is that if you don't support it, it's crap..it's nonsense....why not take the stance of trying to figure out a new angle..a player that you haven't thought of...maybe someone else has a good ideas. I agree with you that Dragic and DW would make the Rockets better...I do not think that Joe Johnson is the answer to our current problem on the court. You see how that works? Pretty easy...although not as easy as calling other people's ideas "turrible", when in reality, they're just opinions(and the Lawson trade is realistic and a possibility).

7. CertifiedTroll

Fingers crossed for Knight.

8. raining threes

I don't know what would have to be given up but this would be a game changer. A backcourt of Harden/Burke would be optimal. Burke can play good defense and is a deadly outside shooter. The only thing his game lacks is creating off the dribble, although he can do some of that.

Kanter would be a huge upgrade over Dorsey and I believe he's an expiring.

9. raining threes

Another good trade,

Jack has been performing at a high level this season. He would instantly become the best PG on the team. Anderson would provide instant offense off of the bench. This trade would help prevent some of the dry spells when Harden goes to the bench.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Actually, Morey was trying to land a superstar for many of those years, and had some trade chips back then, too. He tried to get Melo in 2011 and tried to get Dwight in 2012 (both at the deadline and later that summer). He had mid-1st rounders like HOU's own and that of the Knicks, 2nd rounders and young players and vets that were regarded as assets of various worth at one time or another by other teams (Lowry, Budinger, Martin, Lee, Scola, etc.).

The team now has 2 stars, but we are not trading them. Outside of these two, Houston's actual trade assets really are not much better, if at all, than what they had back in 2010-13.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

I've thought about Bradley as well, but is he so much better that you pay him $32 million over 4 years instead of Beverley's $900k over 1? Doesn't move the needle enough for me.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

I want Dragic back so badly, but I don't think Phoenix will give him up unless he demands a trade to us, which he's too classy to do... so I'm thinking Ty Lawson.

13. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

if its Lawson, DM better get him earlier before Karl nabs him for the Kings

14. kreem

kreem Member

I surmise we will get Jose Calderon!

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

If you've been following Morey for long enough, you know that there's an:

1) 80%+ chance a deal gets done
    2) 80%+ chance that it's for nobody we are talking about

I like to theorize about Dragic, Rubio, etc....but Morey almost never follows that path. Brewer is the only trade I can remember we talked about for a month before it happened.

To me, the most interesting facet of the deadline is to see which route we take......NEED or WANT. We NEED a PG to take some of the pressure off Harden. We WANT a 3rd star?

If it's the former, then there are several ways we can solve (or help) the problem. Could be something as significant as a trade for Dragic, or as small as signing Nate Robinson.

If the later, there's too many unknowns. Is Miami willing to rebuild and trade Bosh? Will Melo give up on the Knicks? How bad are things between Love and Lebron? Or it could be an asset that leads to a 3rd star, which could be any one or thing.

My "out of left field" prediction (that I know is very unlikely) is a trade for Kevin Love. Lebron is king on that team, and if things have gone south between him and Love, I could see a move being made. I could also see Love demanding to be traded to us, given our ties to him (McHale, Brewer, Harden). I could also see Cleveland liking DMo and whatever they could fetch with the NOP 1st.

16. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Arron Afflalo.

Dragic isn't getting traded with the Suns in the thick of a playoff run. Lawson doesn't seem like a Morey type trade considering the length of his contract.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ridnour is at 2.7M and has a team option. Clearly a guy Morey could look at as a fall back option. Shved+2nd rounder.

18. ch44

ch44 Member

Exactly. Most people seem to ignore the fact that both teams have to agree on the trade and just want to turn our scrap players for their stars.

Denver wants to blow everything up. The players and coach don't get along. The only untouchables are probably Harris, Nurkic, and Faried because of their youth and contracts. Afflalo can be had for a 1st rounder if a team is willing to gamble on him not leaving. Ty will take a little more.

Terry and Paps are not only expendable, but their contracts almost require them to be in a trade for a quality PG. They account for around $10 million in expiring contracts if the team doesn't want to take a flyer on Papanikolaou. Nobody really wants to see D-Mo go, but you have to give up talent to get it. It frees up a logjam in the the 4 position as well. The NOP pick is the main catch for the Nuggets and they wouldn't consider it without it.

Denver starts their rebuilding process by shedding a long term contract, picking up a lottery pick, and a serviceable big man. It makes too much sense to me. Only issue would be if Ty Lawson really fits in with this team.

19. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Posted this in the Random Trade thread but i think its worthy to post here as well

Ariza to the Bulls
    Dragic to the Rockets
    Gibson to the Suns

20. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Cross Mo Williams off any lists. He is headed to Charlotte.