1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will be the Rockets starting PF when

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Whoopy, Apr 4, 2013.

Tags:
?

Who will be the Rockets Playoff PF?

1. Dmo

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Greg Smith

40 vote(s)
    60.6%
  3. T Jones

23 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

The playoffs start?

2. mario_v

mario_v Member

T-Jones. He gives you spacing, athleticism, rebound and solid defensively. Starting Asik and Smith together is nice but in short spurts. Not enough spacing with the the two of them together.

3. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Have Smith start and have Jones be back up

4. RoxDC

RoxDC Member

As long as Smith can stay in the game (keeping his foul count low), it'll be him with whoever's the hottest at the end of the season backing him up. I'm hoping it's Jones, but we still need to see more games from him.

5. BallWiz

BallWiz Member

Keep smith starting he brings a nice punch and T jones will come in with more punches keeping the energy going

6. howo13579

howo13579 Member

Did you all notice we had 4 Kentucky alums on the court last night? I hope Chuck retires a Rocket. Morey needs to make it happen.

7. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

This is a tough one Jones in my opinion is the better overall player. However, when Asik sits it will be better if we have more size coming off the bench than D-Mo.

As a result of small ball being less effective in the play-offs, I say start Jones. Greg Smith comes off the bench and Asik can play less minutes per game. This is untrue when playing a team like the Grizzlies but in most cases Jones is actually more of what the team needs.

Another point of note Jones really has a lot of skills and if he can finsh the season strong, I say no to J Smooth, Millsap and more reluctantly say no to David West.

8. Normalus

Normalus Member

Actually there is no difference who would be starter since he will play around as much as others, I guess. And longer will play who looks better in certain game.

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Terrence is the best option. No doubt in my mind he is the best all around player we have for the position.

Greg Smith is and should continue to be or backup center. It was a nice experiment but please be realistic. The kid has no outside game. He can not drive to the basket and shoot beyond 3 feet. Teams do not even have to guard him past 5 feet. That is a terrible situation to be in going into the playoffs. Especially along side Asik who is almost as bad.

I like Smith a lot but all he can do is score underneath the basket. That will easily be exposed in the playoffs. And not even considering the fact that he can't shoot free throws which easily makes him hack a Smith or guard without fouling. Which brings up another issue... he is so foul prone. He can't stay on the floor. And once he gets in foul trouble that creates another problem. He is our only legit backup center and we need his minutes there especially if Asik gets in foul trouble. Please McHale come to your senses. Starting Smith was good for 2 games but we truly need his minutes at the 5.

DMo, what can I say. I love the guy. He has size and skills that make him a potential star but he makes too many mistakes, can't rebound or defend. I love the kids effort. He is always the first one down on every play but that isn't even smart because he outruns the guy with the ball so much that he can't even be found. He has to pick his moments better. He is better than when he started but the way he plays he waste his energy unnecessarily.

The same goes for defense. He works his ass off on defense but he just isn't very good. I think part of it is just not being sure what to do on the floor so he does everything hard. The coaches need to sit him down and explain he doesn't have to run so hard on the screens. he is 7 feet if he just shows himself it will intimidate a 6 foot pg. He needs to bulk up this off season and practice his three. I think he can shoot 35% plus next year. Especially on this team where Harden and Lin will always create open looks for the 4. There is definitely a place on this team if he can somehow rebound and defend a little better.

TRob wasn't mentioned on this list but he is such a talent that you have to believe with some off season work he might be. That being said he has a lot to learn and he might just be talented but not basketball smart. It's too early to say but while I loved his game in college, I did notice Anthony Davis and TJones were able to make him irrelevant in the NCAA championship game and that concerned me. It appears to still be a problem for him and that causes concern for me still. Is he just an amazing athlete that will make highlight film. It's unfair to make that conclusion this early but it is not unfair to have some concerns and see if he can work through them.