1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will be the next Center for the Rox?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da Wink, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

With the Dwight era nearing to an end, who do you guys think will be our next man in the middle that we can get either thru free agency or trade this coming offseason? mine is Joakim Noah...though another injury riddled player

2. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

We don't need a center. We need a team that wins.

3. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Whiteside/Capela.

4. Vienna Calling

5. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Think it'll still be Dwight, but if not then I see the targets being Joakim Noah and Roy Hibbert. Not sure if Noah will ever be the same. He'll likely fit better than Dwight. Hibbert seems like he is done in the league, but if Dwight is gone and Houston misses on getting back a center then I can see a gamble on Hibbert. Truthfully, the future for the rockets center position seems bleak. It'd be awesome if Houston could get Boban but it looks like he will replace Timmy after he's done.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think the bigger question is... Who will be the next coach that has a game plan for the players that are currently on the team??? Since the center doesn't initiate the offense it won't matter, I mean if the game plan is still iso/3s.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i wouldn't invest a max contract in a center. the game is different now and guys like dwight have less of an impact. the next center should be capela, with a decent backup like mahinmi or mozgov.

the money we save by letting dwight walk should be spent on perimeter players who can create for themselves and play defense.

there is a lot of talk about how harden and ty couldn't play together because both are ball dominant and neither plays defense. well, i believe ariza and bev can't play together because neither can create any offense. james can't do it all, we need more than one play maker.

i would be prepared to offer dwight's money to: barnes, clarkson, parsons (but fegan won't bring him back here), and conley.

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

After last night, Pau Gasol looks like a good option.

9. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I wouldn't. First, Barnes will not strive in Houston like he currently is in Golden State. That team is a well-oiled team and players that go there play much better than they would in other places. Barnes would not survive as a number 2 or 3 option. You don't pay max money to a 4th or 5th option type of guy when you don't even have the 2nd option. Harrison Barnes is a product of being at the right place and right time. His situation reminds me a lot of Trevor Ariza's when he was a Laker in 2009 although Ariza got paid peanuts compared to what people want to pay Barnes. Signing Barnes to a huge contract will be a mistake and it will be a move of desperation.

Second, Clarkson's role is best suited as a 6th man. He can't be your starting guard especially next to James. He definitely comes off looking like a good scorer, but the truth is that he really isn't that good. He actually hurts his team more than helps. As a combo guard he is a poor play maker and poor defender. Beverley is better at rebounding, defending, play making, and being efficient. Why would you over pay on Clarkson when you have a better 6th man already on the roster?

Third, I like Parsons as a player. He's been playing well as of late, but this is his potential. An 18ppg, 6rpg,5apg player who isn't that great of a defender. Offensively, of course he fits better with Harden than Ariza. Parsons can shoot, drive in, and dish all pretty well. All while being more efficient than Ariza. The problem comes defensively when we don't have a guy who can hold the other team's best player. We need to surround James with tough defensive minded players. I don't really think Ariza at the moment fits that bill, but he does more so than Chandsome. Plus, Cuban will likely hand him a huge offer which would be hard to top. Nicolas Batum would be a much better fit because he does all the things on offense plus plays team and individual defense. I can see Nic being a highly coveted FA though getting attention from a lot of teams.

Fourth, Conley was an under rated player, but I don't see him meshing that well with James. I do believe Houston needs another creator, but I don't think it should come from the back court. From either the two forward spots or the center position. Plus, I really don't see Conley leaving Memphis. He seems like a loyal guy.

10. kidhoward12

kidhoward12 Member

Dwight will still be here. One bad game and 50% of cf jumps ship. The season is over but we shouldn't act like the next few are. Dwight will resign and when he's 34 35 will hand the position to capela.

11. Drogba

Drogba Member

We need a Deandre Jordan, Tyson Chandler, Andrew Bogut type of center. Not a player who's effort is dictated by how many post touches he gets. A real defensive anchor.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Biyombo maybe?
    No to Noah, Al Jef, and Hibbert.

13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Someone that plays D, gets rebounds and hits free throws.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I hope it's Dwight on a good contract, 3 years guaranteed, declining scale. Give Capela time to grow slowly and steadily working on his game, getting stronger. That locks up the C and SG position for years.

I don't worry about Dwight clogging the lane. Harden still gets to the line 10 times, Dwight hasn't been in his way at all. If you need 4 shooters spacing the floor, then you're not very good at getting to the rim. Harden IS good at doing it. He doesn't need every single player out of the way to do what he does.

However I will say it depends on who the head coach is going to be. We should know what kind of strategy we're pursuing before spending major dollars on anyone including Dwight.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Noah would be perfect imo, for so many things, he can pass, great defender/rebounder, high iq...the only problem (and it's pretty big) is that i really don't trust his body at this point...