1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will be remembered as the better player?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pmac, Feb 4, 2011.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

When it's all said and done...

Shaq vs. Duncan
    KG vs. Dirk
    Kidd vs. Nash

bonus: Reggie Miller vs. Ray Allen

I was just thinking about the older players in the league who've had success. I tend to lean more towards the guys who can score but were also good defenders.

Who do you guys think will be remembered as the better players of that group?

Also, feel free to add your own career matchups.

2. liljojo

liljojo Member

Shaq, KG, Nash, Miller.

3. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Duncan
    KG
    Kidd
    Miller

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think the Shaq/Duncan is the closest one and consider it a toss up

I give the 2nd to Dirk, KG was a guy that would always lead a team to the playoffs, but Dirk's teams are perennial contenders and is a better crunch time player imo

I'll definitely take Kidd over Nash, Nash is still the worst defensive player of his generation

I think Reggie will be remembered more than Ray, but I'm not sure he should be

5. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I think there are two answers here: who will be remembered as the better player, and who will be remembered as the more, for lack of better term, "legendary" player. The better player is Duncan, but Shaq will be remembered longer and have more lasting fame outside of the average knowledgeable NBA fan.

KG will be remembered longer, Dirk is more skilled.

This one is a tougher call: Nash will be remembered as the better player, but I really think it's about a dead-heat.

Reggie Miller, all the way.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Can't believe KG will be remembered better than dirk. Dirk as lead dog took his team to finals. KG had trouble getting out of the 1st round.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

KG has been a better player than Dirk for the vast majority of time, Dirk's a better scorer, but his defensive is average to crappy vs one of the best of the last 15 years.

1 person likes this.
  8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Shaq (toughest choice but his dominance was just too great, although I do consider Duncan as the greatest PF of all time)

KG (I think this one was a little bit easier than the previous one, but I just believe KG is a better player overall... played both sides of the floor)

Kidd (Another tough one... Nash two-time MVP, but Kidd set the standard for today's era of PGs... again this is really tough but I'd go with Kidd)

Miller (As great as Ray Allen will be... Reggie Miller was just a classic. The competitions he had with Jordan in the 90s... MSG.. all that stuff will have him remembered as the better player)

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

shaq - the epitome of dominance
    KG - one of the best defenders to ever play the game, and in his prime, 24, 10, 5 were the norms
    kidd - easy choice here despite no MVPs - play both ends
    ray allen

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

Dirk had a way better supporting cast in Dallas than KG had in Minnesota.

1 person likes this.
  11. Shaud

Shaud Member

Shaq
    KG
    Kidd
    Miller

I think Kidd will go down as the better player in many peoples eyes because of his finals appearances even if the East was weak then.

12. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Carmelo Anthony vs. Paul Pierce?

13. zito08

zito08 Member

shaq/duncan- dats a tough one cuz dey r different kind of players, but i will go with duncan.
    kg/dirk- dats easy kg cuz wut he brings in defensive end n his leadership alone makes him better den dirk.
    kidd/nash- tough cuz both r great kidd is better defended n rebounder while nash is better offensive player
    reggie/ray- dont forget before comin to boston ray was a complete player he scored, got assits n rebound but i still go with reggie cuz its reggie lol

14. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Shaq cuz of his power and dominance, Dirk cuz of his range, Kidd cuz of his longevity, and Reggie cuz of his ability to get to the line and be "clutch"

15. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Shaq (although I think Duncan has had a better career, Shaq will be remembered as the better player because of his dominance)
    KG
    Kidd
    Miller

KG and Kidd get the nods because they could play on both sides of the ball. Dirk and Nash will go down as one of the most skilled offensive players but are liabilities on defense.

1 person likes this.
  16. mazinger

mazinger Member

Shaq
    KG
    Nash
    Miller

17. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

McGrady or Penny?

18. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Member

Hmm.

Shaq vs Duncan - Tie

Shaq was more dominant (when he wanted and tried). It feels liek Duncan had a better career and was more consistent.

KG vs Dirk

Dirk is better offensively but KG is simply a better overall basketball player. KG was no slouch on offense and his defense is 'all time best' while Dirk's defense is 'adequate to below average'.

Nash vs Kidd

I'm going with Kidd. Kidd's low point was shooting. He was a more complete point guard though. He could rebound, assist and score (slightly above average for a part of his career). Kidd has gotten better at shooting but Nash is the better shooter overall. The passing, without going into it, can be called a tied but that is about it. Nash can't defend to save his life

Reggie Miller vs Ray Allen

I know Miller's heroics overwhelm a lot of opinions (And ignoring his failures) but stats wise they are awfully close with Allen being just as good or better in all but one category. I guess you could consider them a wash but Allen just feels like the better player.

Miller - Allen
    18.2 - 20.4 PPG
    3.0 - 4.6 Rebs
    3.0 - 3.6 Asts
    1.1 - 1.2 Steals
    0.2 - 0.2 Blocks
    .888% - .893%
    .395% -3.98%
    .471% - .452%

19. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Member

Let me fix some things.

.888% - .893% Free Throw
    .395% -.398% Three Point Shooting
    .471% - .452% FG %

And for those interested.

Career PER
    Miller - 18.36
    Allen - 19.31

20. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Forgot to add how clutch Reggie Miller was.

Although he didnt win a championship. He had a great career.