1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who were some of the greatest NBA players who had their careers cut short?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by WinorLoseMate, May 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

Can anyone think of any players who were heading towards (or were at) NBA superstar level but had their careers cut due to injury or other reasons?

The most obvious person I can think of right now is Len Bias.

2. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Grant Hill
    an ex-rocket
    Greg Oden
    Brandon Roy
    yao ming

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Len Bias never had a career. His success is all speculation.

Reggie Lewis is a better answer.
    Drazen Petrovic
    Bill Walton
    Ralph Sampson
    Alonzo Mourning
    Gilbert Arenas
    and who Rox11 mentioned

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf - after lighting up the NCAA and probably have the best shooting career of any person on the college level ever he went to the NBA. After the first two very disappointing years where he was overweight and lazy, he changed around and became the basketball player everybody knew he could be. He won MIP in 92-93 and continued to play well. Unfortunately, he did not really show up during the playoffs and had he been his normal self for even one or two games, they meet Houston and take care of Seattle earlier. Because Robert Pack did play well and emerged as a great PG, Abdul-Rauf had to sit.

Prior to the 93-94 season, Chris Jackson had changed his name and became a devout Muslim. Dan Issel and others seemed to have had problems with his religion, partly because of the crowd he hung out with (his own words). It was also no secret that Mahmoud wasn't the most social person and didn't really hang out with anybody on the team. Still, Abdul-Rauf took it hard and even though he did start games after Issel was let go, injuries slowed him down that year. In 95-96 he was the permanent starter after Pack was traded and he was back on track to being that All-Star (though never made the team). He set career highs in 3 pointer made per game, 3p % and ppg (tied with 92-93).

Then in March 1996 it all went to hell. Mahmoud had 'protested' against the national anthem for most of the season. Some nights he would listen with his hands in his pockets. Some, he would stretch. Some, he would stay in the locker room. Then in a home game he decided to sit which causes uproar among fans and people really started asking questions now. The media unfortunately decided to jump right on this and interview Abdul-Rauf about what he had done. He famously stated that he refused to stand up for a flag that represents tyranny and oppression, though taken a bit out of context. He was suspended and after having talked to several fellow Muslims, he decided to pray during the playing of the song.

Still, this was the end for him. The Nuggets traded him to the Kings where he didn't play up to his usual level and after his contract was up, nobody wanted him. Elgin Baylor even said it wasn't because of his play either that they didn't want him, after having asked him to come for a meeting. Now you can argue whether he brought this on himself or not, but the point is that because of all the turmoil his game suffered. We all know what changing teams can do to a career. Just look at guys like Maxwell, Bogues, Reggie Williams. All did great for one team, but didn't do much on another. So in my opinion, had the controversy never been there and had the Nuggets and probably the NBA recognised his talent and be supportive of him, he would've been an All-Star and played at a high level for years.

1 person likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I see what you did there

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Grant Hill played 18 seasons, he didn't exactly have his career cut short.

Andrew Toney comes to mind for me.

7. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Big Country, Jay Williams

8. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Sabonis
    Ron Harper
    Willie Anderson
    Danny Manning
    Sam Bowie
    Ed O'Bannon
    Larry Bird
    Magic Johnson

9. coffeelover665

magic johnson was the one that I feel could rival Michael Jordan but got kicked out of the league for having AIDS :(

10. 713

713 Member

Jeremy Lin

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

If we are talking strictly "cut short", then Mo Stokes is another name. He fell into a coma in the middle of the playoffs. He was a young rising superstar at the time of Bill Russell.

I guess if we include guys like Grant Hill and T-Mac, then Penny Hardaway should also be on the list.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Joyce White, but he had a mental injury... and by that I mean extreme laziness and utter stupidity.

13. hoopcity

hoopcity Member

Penny Hardaway & Grant Hill had their stardom cut short due to injury, even though Hill carved out a nice role for himself in the league. Both were superstars in the making (and I wonder if Rose may find the same fate as they did).

But Drazen Petrovic should be up there, that was the best ESPN 30 for 30 they made "Once Brothers" about him and Vlade Divac. Honestly I was nearly in tears after seeing it. Such a great documentary.

Petrovic was killed right when he was beginning to blossom in the league, died just before entering his peak. If he hadn't died, the Drazen-MJ matchups we could have seen in the league would have been incredible. MJ thought very highly of him, MJ saw Drazen as a true rival to his competitiveness.

Not only that but Reggie Miller was quoted as saying Drazen was the best shooter of all time. Guy shot 45% from the 3 point line, insane.

14. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Brandon Roy, what is my prize?!?!?!? Sadly, Yao tops the Rockets list.

15. akuma

akuma Member

in no particular order

Bill Walton
    Arvydas Sabonis
    Grant Hill
    Yao Ming
    T-Mac
    Steve Francis
    Brandon Roy
    C-Webb
    Penny Hardaway
    Alonzo Mourning
    Antonio Mcdyess
    Elton Brand
    Tim Hardaway
    Derek Coleman
    Ron Harper
    Shawn Kemp
    Jermaine O'neal
    Drazen Petrovic
    Reggie Lewis
    Jason (Jay) Williams?

Bird and Magic were past their primes (10+ years in) when their health issues caught up to them.

Portland is cursed with Walton, Bowie, Oden and Roy
    Rockets haven't been too lucky either. Yao, T-Mac, Francis, Ralph Sampson, Barkley, Drexler, even Dream wasn't immune. and that not even factoring the role players.

16. MONON

MONON Member

I'll agree with Yao, Sampson & T-Mac for the Rockets, but Barkley & Drexler's careers were over anyway.

My top 6 are Bias & Petrovic (because even though 1 was self inflicted, death's the ultimate injury) along with Yao, T-Mac, Roy, & Oden (because championships were the price there).

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

18. VanityHalfBlack

19. pacertom

pacertom Member

Bernard King
    plus others listed by akuma

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, the question is how to define 'cut short'? I thought of Hill and Walton as their HoF paths were shattered even as they continued to play. Like TMac, tho he had a # of years before falling apart.

Sugar Ray Richardson.