1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

who watches japan animation?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Stevie Francis, Sep 24, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Stevie Francis

i love it, i've seen samari x, tenchi,blue seed, yu yu hakisho, and many more.

But all time best gots to be DBZ.

2. B

B Contributing Member

DBZ is just average compared to most of the more mature anime out there. This has been discussed about a month ago so I won't list all the shows I like again.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39377&highlight=anime

Here is a thread you already created on DBZ.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40559&highlight=anime

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26088&highlight=anime

Don't get me wrong, I like anime threads, but why keep starting over when we talked about it a couple of months ago? Just bring up the old thread. Clutch enabled search for a reason, so we would be created unneeded threads. I know I am guilty of this too, but Stevie, you really do need to try to keep an eye on what you do if you don't want to have more posts subtracted.

B

3. Nomar

Nomar Member

What ever happened to good cartoons.

Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars
    Exo Squad
    X-Men
    old Batman
    Swat Katz

Those were the days.

4. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Bot-a-bing bot-a-boom!

The Righteous Indignation was awesome. I REEEALLY wanted one.

5. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Whoa, lets throw in Ghostbusters and the Turtles.

6. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

He-Man, Spiderman, and Ninja Turtles.

Those were my shows when I was little man!
    You gotta love He-Man!

7. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I don't watch much, but I do enjoy Cowboy Bebop. Imo, understanding Japanese makes them much more enjoyable.

8. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Isn't it "Japanimation"?
    and not "Japan Animation"?:p

#8 mr_oily, Sep 24, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2002
  9. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Actually, it's just anime. And you can't beat Cowboy Bebop.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

By the by, in case anyone's interested, there will be a film showing "in a theater near you" fairly soon---maybe it's at the Greenway? I don't know, I'm not in Houston---called Spirited Away, by Hayao Miyazaki, who is revered almost like a god in Japan. Maybe some of you saw "Princess Mononoke?" This was his latest film, which broke all box office records in Japan. It's probably aimed at a younger audience, somewhere between "Monsters Inc" and "Shrek." But it's supposed to be really great. I'll see it next month in Chicago, hopefully it will have reached southern shores by then.

11. Nomar

Nomar Member

AntiSonic - Is that a joke? Or is Bucky really coming back.

12. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Nomar- after a little searching I found that the link is a few years old, so it can be assumed the comeback didn't really go over too well... Sorry if that got your hopes up. :(

There's a strong fan following on the net though and this place has kept the series alive in story form at least. Gotta love fan fiction.

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/8850/bucky.htm

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget Thundercats...that show freaking ruled.

14. Nomar

Nomar Member

That sucks AS.

Raven - What is thundercats?

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some old cartoon about these guys who were like half cat, half human who fought evil. Really, they were just muscular guys with fur and manes. The leader was Liono, and he had this bad-ass sword that could extend out and let him see real far off and do all kinds of cool stuff. He had friends who helped him too, except for that little squirt Snarf...he always just got in the way.

[​IMG]

http://www.80schildren.com/television/thundercats.htm

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Thundercats had the greatest theme song of all time.

#15 RunninRaven, Sep 24, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2002
  16. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Robotech was pretty cool when I was young. The fights scenes rocked!

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

does speed racer count??? i freaking loved speed racer as a kid!

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I'm just now starting to get into Anime, the best one I've seen so far is Ninja Scroll, that movie was awesome. I've also been watching this funny anime series called Excell Saga, which is kind of a satire of Anime and Japanese culture. It's real funny and I recommend it to any Anime fan who hasn't seen or heard of it yet. Speaking of He-Man, Spider-Man, and Ninja Turtles, there's a new He-Man on cartoon network, there's gonna be a new computer animatetd spider-man on mtv, and a brand new Ninja Turtles on fox saturday mornings this winter. Kinda freaky how this follows the trend of tv focusing on pre 9/11 years.

19. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I'm a pretty big "Japanimation" freak. I usually try to watch any that come on. As for a series, DBZ is my favorite. I got hooked on that and feel like I'm an expert on it, although I only watched after the Saiyin Saga. (sp?) I watched most of them when they repeated, though. If only my friend never made me watch it...

As for movies, I've only seen a few. Sadly, most of those I only saw half or so of them. One of them was Akira, and I want to see the other half some time.

As for the other shows listed, I pretty much watched them all. All apart of the morning and afternoon cartoons.

20. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

yeah. Spirited Away is excellent!
    Miyazaki is hands-down the Godfather of Anime.
    Definitely catch it on the big screen if you get a chance.

I think it will be only a matter of time before Japanese anime takes over the cartoon market in the US. The quality, content, and scale of cell animation studio operations in Japan have far exceeded those in the US for decades. This being only recented matched asymmetrically in the US by computer graphics and 3-D animation firms like Pixar. That being said, however, the low cost transfer/redubbing of old Japanese anime is going to be a lot more cost competitive than anything new the US studios are going to be able to offer in the near future.

Have any of you ever seen Macross Plus? (it's in most video stores under anime or foreign). It's like an updated version of Robotech. Pretty awesome!