1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who was the most dominant player in any sport, EVER?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jul 31, 2022.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Which player absolutely dominated his or her field by such a level that it still hasn't been surmounted? That person was so dominant that they not only lapped their sport competitor but are considered the most dominating player?

Babe?
    Gretzky?
    Tony Hawk?
    Brady?

I don't think the NBA has a player of that much greater skill and dominance in it's history.

#1 Xerobull, Jul 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Those are all good. To add a few more... Playoff and especially Finals Shaq for around 3 to 4 years is the closest we've seen in the NBA. Floyd Mayweather dominated everyone. Barry Bonds at the plate for that handful of years.

#3 JumpMan, Jul 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    plutoblue11 and Xerobull like this.
  4. JumpMan

If winning is the objective, DEFINITELY.

Xerobull likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

There's a reason we see such insane winning percentages and dominating individual performances in nascent professional sports (women's especially).

The level of competition is incredibly immature such that one great, or even good, player can legit own the sport for a decade or more without breaking a sweat.

Once a sport has reached a saturation point of popularity, you don't see such things happen anymore because a lot more other people who are athletically gifted are competing against you and so the disparity largely goes away.

Xerobull likes this.
  6. Xerobull

As noted in his RIP thread, he was the best center on the greatest team in NBA history. He definitely deserves to be in the HOF but as @DonnyMost points out, that was before the NBA really hit it's stride. I would pick at least 5 centers before Russell if I were building a team now. Best center ever was Hakeem, no homer- his stats and wins back it up. And I can't argue with a straight face that Hakeem was the best player in NBA history (possibly top 5), and still, in context of this thread, there is no real dominant NBA player even when you throw MJ, Magic and LeBron in there. It's just too close.

7. Xerobull

Analytics, moneyball and modern sports medicine have definitely narrowed the field. Still, imagine Babe Ruth with those advantages today. So to that end, will Ohtani be in that discussion some day? He's just now entering his 'prime years' as an athlete at 28 and baseball players tend to stay there a little longer than the more physical sports.

8. Xerobull

Good examples, but are they head and shoulders above their peers?

9. JumpMan

I could dig that, but I don't completely buy it. LeBron, for example, has dominated the NBA in his own way. Jordan was dominant individually before the Bulls dominated in championships winning 6 of 6. The Celtics were the first of their kind in so many ways. First Black starting five, Auerbach was innovative as a coach and general manager, and Russell did his defense and rebounding. But, at the end of the day, it was Russell who brought the championships to Boston. Point is that there are players who transcended and they likely would do so at any point in their sport's history.

10. Roscoe Arbuckle

LeBaby doesn't count. He's the one that started these Superteam collusions.

boomboom likes this.
  11. Xerobull

I kindly point you to the late 90's Rockets.

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'd kindly remind you that none were free agents. All were traded for (OT, Horry, Cassell, etc). Not even a close similarity.

13. Xerobull

I don't see a difference. If anything, trading was the smarter way to go for cap reasons. Miami at least had D Wade before LBJ and Bosh got there. The 90's Rockets teams and the 2000's LA teams with all of the aging superstars were all behind the scenes meddling even if it was trades.

14. Aware

Aware Member

I think that the run Leo Messi had at Barcelona is the best ever for any pro athlete
    Just absurd numbers on top of team accomplishments

BigM and heypartner like this.
  15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Ruth in MLB. In 1921 there were 16 teams in the AL and NL combined. Ruth hit 59 home runs that year. Only seven teams hit more (one of which was his own Yankee team). That might seem like a one-off freak occurrence, except in 1020 he hit 54 home runs, and only two teams hit more (again, one of them the Yankees). He had a career OPS+ over 200 (206), the second highest is Ted Williams at 191. Oh yeah, he also pitched for four seasons with the Red Sox, including in 1916 when he started 40 games and led the league in ERA at 1.16.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would put Michael Phelps in the discussion in a crowded sport he just dominated at so many levels for years

Yung-T and BigM like this.
  17. JumpMan

In their peaks, they were. But if you're asking if they seemed more dominant than anyone ever... Nope for Shaq because he didn't do it long enough. Nope for Bonds for the same reason, the steroids, and the other historical baseball players. For Mayweather, I just haven't seen anyone straight up demoralize boxers as he did. He wouldn't knock them out, and maybe that fact eliminates him, but those boxers knew they didn't have a chance of beating him and that they weren't in his league.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Greco Roman Wrestler Aleksander Karelian. There is about a 12 year period from 1988 to 2000 where he was almost unbeatable. He won 3 Olympic golds 9 world championships in that stretch. His loss to Rulon Gardner in the finals at Sydney was one of the most shocking upsets in Olympic history. Possible more unexpected than the 1980 Miracle on Ice.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandr_Karelin

19. Roscoe Arbuckle

How was their trade meddling with the Rockets? Both trades were accepted by the NBA. We know the NBA has voided unfair trades before.

It's called collusion. The three got together during the off season and colluded to join together. Basketball hasn't been the same since.

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Carl Lewis track and field

Xerobull likes this.