1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. ROCKETS GAMEDAY
    The Rockets hope to rebound (no pun intended) after that brutal loss to Charlotte when they take on Ja Morant and the Grizzlies tonight. Come join us live at 7:00pm CT!

LIVE! Rockets vs. Grizzlies

Who was guarding Roy that last .8 sec?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rock8ts, Nov 7, 2008.

1. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

Youre being a little crazy. RA and Rockets anticipated a pass in the post or a screen series on the weak side, no one expected a three point shot in a 1 point game with .8 seconds left. Our defense was fine, Aldridge just played a great game and Roy played the last 2 seconds of the game like it was his last. Nothing to pout about.

2. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

My friend, if you think the Rockets' defense is okay you are in deep, deep denial.

This is what Feigen at the Chronicle had to say:

McGrady thought a screen was coming and knew that Ron Artest was to switch to Roy after a screen. McGrady stopped, but because there was no screen, Artest never picked up Roy who was all alone for his 31-foot rainbow.

He still had to hit it and his shot was remarkable. But the Rockets messed up when they stopped playing to think.

Check out Adelman's post-game interview, where he said he couldn't explain why Roy was left wide open. Somebody was supposed to be covering him, and that somebody was T-Mac.

3. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

Look dude, the other team was down by 1. No one would think that the blazers were gonna try for a 30 footer with .8 seconds left on the clock. Everyone expects a screen series and when no screens happen and people start flying out towards the half court line, confusion tends to happen. Its not our fault as a defense, its a credit to Nate McMillan and/or Brandon Roy for having the balls to go for a 30 foot shot.

4. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Yeah, nobody except for Feigen and Blinebury at the Chronicle who both put the blame squarely on T-Mac's feet for blowing his defensive assignment.

BTW, what did the coach say after the game?

"I didn’t see what happened," Rockets coach Rick Adelman said of the eight-tenths of a second that followed. "I don’t know why he got so wide open. We should have had somebody on him. We made a mistake.

5. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

casper (yes, the friendly ghost ;) )

6. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Dude, you set picks on offense. What we're talking about is switching the guy you're guarding after a screen/pick.

7. ihatehyena

ihatehyena Member

It makes no sense of pinpointing who was responsible for the lose. Rox sucked at D as a team.
    I don't worry about it. It looks like the last season, the coach is trying to make a change on this team but the players haven't adjusted to the change but don't know what to do after leave the old routine. Give them 2 months, we can win it back.

8. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

I agree it's basic stuff. it was just a monumental *** up. but you gotta move on.it happens.

9. Problem-Chyld

Problem-Chyld Member

tracy mclazy was guarding him. Well supposed to be guarding him

10. BucMan55

BucMan55 Member

To imply anything more than a missed/blown assignment or miscommunication on that last play is purely speculative vitriol directed at a player or players.

And lets see: T-Mac recovering from injury to begin the season. Saw little time in the preseason. He seems a bit slow with his speed everywhere(not just on D).

Ya think maybe his knee is giving him some issue on his lateral movement on defense??

Occam's razor folks.

11. oldyellow

oldyellow Member

Can not agree more!

12. Tmac-is-numero1

This is why your a rookie.

That wasn't even funny too.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Some people never played organized ball, or when they did play they did not understand the game very well.

:D

DD

14. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

it cost us a W. is that cheap?

15. jacuzzi

jacuzzi Member

Not cheap at all. But I guess Tmac was really tired after the whole game where he pulled the team back

16. jacuzzi

jacuzzi Member

I think it's bitter-funny. I guess he was just too tired. Relax guys.

17. Booster2point0

18. Problem-Chyld

Problem-Chyld Member

do you think i care if im a rookie I hate when people brag about there status. Last time i checked this is a FREE forum doesn't make a difference if im a member or not am i getting paid?are you getting paid? who cares do something with your life instead of bragging about how your FREE member status

19. iku

iku Member

20. jedicro

jedicro Member

I agree that McGrady made a mistake, but it had nothing to do with laziness. It was miscommunication and as you said, probably thinking too much. But not lazy.

It sucks, they'll look at it and try to make sure nothing like that every happens again. Amazing shot in 1.0 seconds. :mad: