1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who wants rumors?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CriscoKidd, Jun 23, 2008.

?

What do you prefer?

Poll closed Aug 22, 2008.
  1. As much rumors out there as possible, even if it's just a bunch of smoke.

60 vote(s)
    63.8%
  2. I don't want the public knowing rocket business. Keep it quiet.

34 vote(s)
    36.2%
  1. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I seem to recall last offseason having more activity leading up to the draft with regards to information at least. Certainly a lot more silent than in seasons past, but still some nuggets to be had.

This season has been eerily quiet. I mean, there has been virtually nothing out there with any credibility whatsoever. The closest thing to any sort of substance has been Morey's desire to move up. Other than that, it's been pretty much pure speculation, including the Detroit fluff.

Part of me has this sneaking suspicion that perhaps it's the calm before the storm. But realistically, it's far more likely that we are probably just going to stand pat unless some great deal falls into our lap and not just change for the sake of change.

But I would be lying if I didn't say I wouldn't want some juicy rumors floating out there just to. :)

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well if you really want rumors, i can start a few for you. other than that, there really isn't anything.

i think that's because management is happy with most of the team. all they are really looking to do is upgrade a couple of positions. one way to do so is to grab an athletic wing in the draft. after that, maybe a luther head trade... then go to war with what we have.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

going to war with a team that was 2 games out of first place fighting a ton of injuries, including to their 2 stars. yes, i would be confident with that also.

4. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

I think this is just reflective of the new Morey regime. It seems as if CD was good at creating smoke-screens by spreading sometimes misleading information, only to have something unexpected occur instead. Morey appears to be a very calculating (as expected) GM in terms of disseminating any sort of information that may adversely affect the chances of getting a desired player. While it makes the off-season sometimes boring, the end result has definitely been worth it so far.

5. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Since it wasn't all smoke screens that leaked during CD's tenure, I think it's kind of early in Morey's regime to know if leaks like the Brandon Roy-Wolves deal will happen under him. I hope not, leaks like that hurts our organization and gives competitors advantages. I hope what we seen so far under Morey is the trend.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well said. morey's regime definitely has a different feel to it, however we are all liking the results.

7. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

The rumors last year didn't suggest we would draft Aaron Brooks and Carl Landry. Hence, rumors are worthless.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't really like rumors. If they're false, they give unnecessary false hope/despair. If they're true, they can cause other teams to come in and offer a better deal. Not just with the Brandon Roy thing. But I remember a while back when the Damon Stoudamire deal was pretty much done, but Toronto reneged at the last minute because of a leak.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

The rumor during that week was they liked Rudy Fernandez and on draft day were going to try to trade up which Morey later confirmed.

Going by Clutch's and Feigen's reports there are only three players they would trade up for this draft. The seemingly obvious candidates being Rush, likely their first choice, and Westbrook. The third is a bit of a mystery.

10. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Really? I hate rumors. They just make too much noise...

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Either that or we have nothing to trade that other teams want other than Yao, T-Mc and Scola. Morey is probably hoping another Scola will fall in his lap so fans will call it "skill."

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Nice post. Any guesses as to who you think this mystery guy could be?

If I had to guess i'd probably say Mario Chalmers. He fits the NBA ready criteria Morey mentioned plus he's remarkably efficient and doesn't really hurt you in any way when he's out there. Plus, nobody is expecting us to draft him so that satisfies Morey's surprise element.

13. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

I like rumors.... its much too quiet! I want some action from this team!!

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I really like Chalmers. However I don't know if he is a trade up candidate. Because George Hill is still out there. And from all indicators, he seems to be very good also. I think the 3rd trade up candidate is O.J. Mayo, which ain't happening. If we are targeting Rush and Westbrook, then Mayo makes the most sense as the 3rd candidate.