1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who thinks this team is better w/out Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Desert_Rocket, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I haven't read the entire thread but as far as our talent level with and without Yao, it's just a tough, tough call. If we didn't have Yao, we'd still need a decent center to at least play some D on Duncan and Shaq and Bynum and get some putbacks.

The problem with Yao is that he's a part-time player and when he's there, you always have to dump it in to him. Then defenses key on him and the refs still have little respect for the guy. Hey, what do you want, a CHINESE guy leading the league in scoring? Can't have that, oh nooooo.

But how far would we get in the playoffs with small ball? Say, trade Yao for Chris Bosh? Have power forwards man the 5 and 4 spots? Any farther than we would get with Yao? Tough to say.

2. Winrockets

Winrockets Member

[​IMG]

3. WNBA

WNBA Member

Life without Yao so far so good. 8 games passed, no collapse in 4th quarter, yet.

Problem is that we might not have a chance to lead after the first 3 quarters when we are playing good teams.

4. longhornchampno

OMG, I have been staring at this vid and laughing for the last 10 minutes. ROFL.

5. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

Defensively, I, and most Rockets fans would feel more comfortable with Mutumbo defending Shaq, Bynum, Howard. Yao has trouble with lateral movement combined with the fact that he often commits silly fouls when he gets out of position which sends the opposing big men to the line for 2 freebies, and more importantly it slows down the game and gets us out of our new run & gun offense.

Sometimes it is just better to give a guy a bucket when you are out of position if your offense is flowing and you have the momentum. An untimely/unnecessary foul is the equilavent of a coach calling a timeout when his team is losing momentum.

6. onssoo

onssoo Member

LMAO! :mad:

7. langal

langal Contributing Member

Mutombo is still one of the best defensive centers in the game. No shame in being a worse defender.

However, there is no way Deke can give you 30+ minutes a night in a playoff series.

As far as giving up the bucket to avoid a foul? I agree with you, but that's something where you'll be damned if you do and damned if you don't.

8. abc2007

abc2007 Member

We will know it soon! No Howard this season anyone, but we will meet Shaq soon, and maybe will meet Bynum in playoffs. So we can see what will happen.

btw, I think you may give wrong examples, Yao played quite well against Howard, Shaq, and Bynum these couple of years. Anyway, we will see it soon.

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

BTW, I watched some suns' games recently, I think Shaq is the best defense center right now.

10. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

Uhhh.. "I and most Rockets fans...." Oh really? this is a fact?

11. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

This is the most crazy part of this thread. Nowhere did I say Yao Ming should be "shamed" or that he sucks. I like Yao, he's a solid player, but damn, Deke is a better defender. Why do people think I'm knocking Yao by saying that???

I think Kobe is a better scorer than Tmac, but does that mean I should be crucified for saying that? Does that mean Tmac can't score? Come on guys, stop being so sensitive.

12. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

Are you saying that the majority of Houston Rockets fans think Yao Ming is a better defender than Dikembe Mutumbo? :confused: :confused: :confused:

13. Rocketman2002

Rocketman2002 Member

This guy is more delusional than I thought! lol

14. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

:confused:

If anyone reading this thread thinks Yao is a better defender than Mutumbo, please speak up. And provide reasons why.

15. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

You think Yao is a better defender than Dikembe? Yes or No?

16. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Yao in the high post = liability
    Yao in the low post = advantage

Just get rid of all the high post plays for him and he would be a lot better.

Deke is a better shot blocker but Yao clogs up the lane better since hes 7'6.

17. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

Clogging up the lane with a big body is considered a good defensive strategy in the NBA? I'm not sure I agree with that statement. When you say, "clog up" are you saying that Yao can't move well laterally?

Shaq "clogged" up the lane last night agains the warriors, got in very early foul trouble, the suns fell behind. Shaq sat out the majority of the second half and the suns ended up winning the game.

18. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I wondering how many guys here actually watched the game that the rockets played the hornets? Anyone watched that game would give credits to Hayes' defense.

19. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

By clog up I mean he's so damm big that its hard to get around him when someone is driving down the lane.. Yao takes up more space and he doesnt get into foul trouble often.

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Actually, because shaq's foul trouble, the suns was behind in the half time. At the beginning of the 2nd half, the suns with shaq played half court game, and the warriors' tempo was impaired, and that is the reason why the suns won last night. After the game, Nash also said that shaq gives them more options.

BTW, I believe the suns have the best chance to win the west this season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.