1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should win the MVP?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DwangBoy, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Kobe can't win it now ... he's team is on pace to be OUT OF THE PLAYOFF!!

2. demon77

demon77 Member

like he ever had a chance...... :rolleyes:

3. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

last year Labron should of gotten it he avg 30pts 7ast 7rebs

A team with no all-stars and took the pistons to 7 games

4. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

Why isn't Duncan receiving any serious consideration for MVP? His team only has 2 less wins than the Suns, who have a full 5 wins less than the Mavs. Duncan is averaging 20-10 numbers, shooting over 54% from the field, with over 3 apg and 2.4 bpg (far more than Dirk and Nash are getting, of course). He has a bigger impact on his team's defense than either Nash or Dirk, and his +/- numbers show that his overall effect on his team's performance is right around Nash and Dirk's level.

5. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

u bring up valid points

6. Asian Sensation

Tim Duncan has regressed in terms of overall output in numbers compared to his 2 seasons when he won MVP 01-02 and 02-03. Make no mistake, Tim Duncan is still the anchor of the Spurs and he's rock solid but while his numbers have gone down and his game has gotten more bland... Dirk and Nash have progressed and seem to get better with age.

But I can also see where your coming from. Had Timmy not put up such monsterous numbers in prior seasons I think he would be getting more recognition.

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I don't know why Lebron doesn't get more consideration the last three years. I think it is because the perception he isn't a closer, but he is quite a horse to get that Cleve team as far as he does and his cumulative stats take a back seat to nobody.

TD's team is only 3rd and his stats are less than dominant. They are excellent, but not all that different than a host of other bigs including Boozer, Bosh, Howard, KG, Marion, etc. So since TDs stats don't jump out at you, and his team is behind 2 teams with guys at least as impressive in total (Dirk, Nash)--I don't think he gets series consideration as THE MVP. But I think he should finish top 5, and I think there is a very good chance he will be the best individual come playoff time.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Duncan's stats look deceptively low, because he doesn't play a lot of minutes and the Spurs play at a slow pace. His scoring efficiency and assists are at a career high, and his PER is still very strong. His Roland Rating (82games) is dominant at +14.4, second only to Nowitzki. He's played every game this season, and his team has been the best since the all-star break (and, based on point-differential, it's been the best for the season). He's definitely the best defensive player amongst all the MVP candidates. He absolutely should be getting more consideration.

Top 10 in PER:
    Code:
    [B]rank     player        PER[/B]
    1        Wade          29.5
    2        Dirk          27.9
    3        Yao           26.4
    4        Duncan        26.4
    5        Kobe          25.8
    6        LeBron        24.8
    7        Garnett       24.5
    8        Ginobili      24.5
    9        Boozer        24.3
    10       Arenas        24.2

league leaders in PER

9. rennaisnz24

rennaisnz24 Member

I wouldn't give it to Kobe, just because his team is strugglin. If Yao would have stayed healthy he might have been in the talk. I hate to admit it but Dirk pro does get it because of his team's record.