1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should we have drafted?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownbball, Jun 27, 2008.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

Well, who did we pass up that we should have taken?

25 US- Nico Batum
    I actually wouldn't have minded keeping him. Big upside, but IMO, Donte Greene is more ready physically. Batum is more of a guard while Greene is a pure wing who can rebound and shoot the 3.

26 Spurs- George Hill IUPUI
    Yea...pass

27 NO- Darrell Arthur
    Not sure why people want him on the Rockets. He's 6'8 1/2 IN SHOES and weighs 215lbs. Not to mention the glut of PF's we already have.

28 Memphis- Donte Green
    We gots him!

29 Detroit- DJ White
    We dont need no stinkin PF in the 1st round

30 Boston- JR Giddens
    meh...pass on him.

31 Minny- Nico Pekovic
    He'll be a solid backup type at PF/C. Would rather have Greene though.

32 Seattle- Walter Sharpe
    Who? Sleeper PF who is considered a project. Another PF anyways.

33 US- Joey Dorsey
    We gots him!

34 Minny Mario Chalmers
    We actually coulda used him, but no biggy really.

35 Clipps- Deandre Jordan
    I actually would have preferred him over Dorsey because of the upside he could provide if Yao's career is shortened due to injury, but Dorsey is a safe pick who will definitely be a fan favorite

Other than that, CDR is the only other guy, but at pick #40, something must have been up. I think this was a solid draft and we pretty much did the best we could have done. I dont think we really passed up anyone that was better than Donte Greene.

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

I wouldn't have minded gambling on Jordan instead of Dorsey. Not really a big deal though. I'm pretty happy.

3. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

i kinda wanted chalmers, but not a bad draft

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

George Hill was the only other guy in that range that I was high on. He'll be a great defender in the league and can really create his own shot. Not sure about him as a distributor though.

Maybe our deal with Portland was originally Batum for Greene and a second rounder? Then we talked to Memphis about Arthur and found a way to do a 'double deal' out of it all?

Sounds like they were hard at work in the war room in that 15 minute time spot!!

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I should add:

Arthur was one of the guys I DIDN'T want to draft at all. And I wanted Dorsey in the second thanks to his 'pit-bull' nature!

Horrified when I first heard the trade - releived when hearing Greene was incoming!

I'll wager that Arthur is a bust in the NBA. He's one of those guys who can't do anything particularly well, and isn't particularly big. The mediocrity express...

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I would have rather we took a gamble on Deandre Jordan at 33. I also would have preferred Bill Walker or even CDR. However, last year I was disappointed we didn't pick Tiago Splitter at 26 and Josh McRoberts at 31, so I'm going to go ahead and assume that just like last year, Morey is smarter than me.

7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Member

why don't you re-make this thread with a poll?

I'd keep things the way they are. Maybe take a chance on DeAndre Jordan. Chalmers or CDR would have been cool, if we didn't have Greene.

8. AAAproduction1

our stas are not young anymore so we needed someone who coul contribute right now and donte green can

9. Dei

Dei Member

I don't wanna be an ass, but talk about bias; you basically put negative comments on every other's team's picks while just putting a "We got him!" comment on our's.

10. RedGlare07

RedGlare07 Member

If we could've gotten Green and CDR, that would've been a blockbuster. Dorsey can be useful if used as a backup C, otherwise we're overloaded at PF, even if we don't bring Landry back. We really could've used CDR's versatility and athleticism to back up Tracy/Shane.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

How old are they?

They certainly aren't in the 'ancient' category yet...

Both Morey and Adelman have said that the way to add a scoring 2/3 is through a trade or free agency.

That's where we'll improve I guess.

nothing wrong with stocking up for the future now - that's exactly what the draft is all about - particularly when you're one of the best teams in the league already.

12. theogcasey

theogcasey Member

I agree, I really would've liked to have seen CDR in Rockets red.

13. blathersby

blathersby Member

Clyde Drexler, Robert Parish, Dennis Johnson, Spencer Haywood, Nate Archibald, Ben Wallace, Rashard Lewis, Brad Miller, Manu Ginobili, Michael Redd, Gilbert Arenas, Tony Parker, Tayshaun Prince, Suckface Boozer, and Monta Ellis.

I'm sure there are others, but that is who the Rockets should've drafted.

14. baller4life315

I just wish we could have traded outright for our turned the Joey Dorsey pick into Mario Chalmers. Chalmers is a safe pick.

15. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

My thoughts exactly, i was jumping for joy cuz i was so sure that the rockets were gonna draft CDR at #33, but they chose Dorsey. I am not too pissed at the fact we got Dorsey, cuz i think he might surprise a lot of people ala Ben Wallace. Fingers crossed. I give the rockets draft a B-. Would have been A- if it was CDR instead of Dorsey tho.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

I like the blend of trade, one player with potential in Greene and the other with ready-to-go skills in Dorsey. 2 stash picks would have been lame

17. SweedishHamma

SweedishHamma Member

I give it a C-

Greene isn't ready yet, and his defense is suspect. Dorsey will always be a 12th man off the bench. He isn't a go to guy. He cannot create his own offense as his post moves are very limited. He relied on guys like CDR to slah to the paint and draw his man away, or for Rose to do the same thing. I can live with the Greene pick, he could develop. Dorsey is garabge who won't ever play at the end of a game.

18. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Arthur + CDR trade > Greene + Dorsey Trade

I would have been happier but am slightly disappointed with what could have been

19. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Why all the love for Jordan? Am i the only one that saw him play. It took ESPN three days to find a highlight of him where he wasn't throwing down an uncontested putback. Unfortunately, he only did that 2 or three times a game. He "improved" to 48% from the free throw line this year making Shaq and ben Wallace relieved they won't be the worst in the league but only if they don't send him straight to the D league. It's not like he just picked up the game in the last year or so. Unless the basketball gods throw down a bolt of touch sometime soon you have an athletic stiff. I still fail to see how he would help us. Hell he makes Malik Badiene look like a hall of famer.

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

I like Green and Dorsey seems very interesting. However, I wonder if Jordan or CDR would have been better with our Dorsey pick.

What about Maarty Leunen? I know he is not likely to contribute, but I haven't heard anything about him.