1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should the Cavs select with the #1 pick in the 2014 NBA Draft (again) ?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Swishh, May 20, 2014.

?

Who should the Cavs pick?

1. Andrew Wiggins

119 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. Jabari Parker

36 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. Joel Embiid

53 vote(s)
    22.8%
  4. Doug McDermott (knowing the Cavs, this is entirely possible, lol)

24 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Cleveland could come up with tons of cap space if they let Deng and Spencer Hawes walk. I don't think those players'd stick around anyway; the team's too dysfunctional.

Harden and Asik and some cash for the #1 and Dion Waiters (but not necessarily to keep Waiters) would make for a solid playoff team in the East. You'd need Asik for all the defensive lapses of Irving and Harden.

And man, what we could do with the #1 pick and major cap room.

No, it won't happen. End of dream.

But in any case, Cleveland has what it needs to finally do something right. They are so horrific at the draft. Last year with Anthony Bennett was the worst. And spending #4 picks on Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters? Jeeeeeeeeeeez.

2. RightToCensor

RightToCensor Member

Cleveland should trade it for an established player with potential.

#12, Tobias Harris, Maurice Harkless
    for

Orlando gets to add the #1 overall pick with their #4 pick and have the chance to draft not one, but TWO potential franchise players.

Cleveland does this to stay at the position to still pick in the lottery and at the same time they can fill the void at SF they've had since Lebron left.

Exum/Nelson
    Afflalo/Oladipo
    Wiggins
    O'Quinn/Nicholson
    Vucevic

Irving/Jack
    Waiters/LaVine
    Harris/Nicholas
    Thompson/Bennett
    Varejao/Zeller

3. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Lol, slight Magic fan?! No way that trade would ever happen. Not to mention, I doubt the Cavs would give up what additional cap space they may have to take on Harris and Harkless. They'd be better off keeping the pick and signing Deng and someone else.

4. smr6

smr6 Member

Supposed to be the best draft since 2003 right?

Cavs will undoubtedly end up with the Darko of this draft then.

5. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

They're the Cavs. They're going to pick Embiid who is going to be a bust. I said Oden would be a bust and everyone called me crazy. If you saw him play, you would have seen it coming. Same with Embiid. He's garbage.

6. RightToCensor

RightToCensor Member

Both Harris' and Harkless' contracts are worth 3.3 million together and both are still 21 years young. I'm not sure if you watched Harris before but he's basically a poor man's Melo the way he plays. Harkless still has untapped potential that he need to show.

Do you really think CLE would overpay any SF not named Lebron James?

7. Stats

Stats Member

If portland had picked Durant instead of Oden, they could've had Roy, Durant, AND Aldridge on one team... jeez

8. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

That's exactly what I was saying at the time. Would still be Aldridge and Durant now. People need to get over the whole big man thing. 99% of the centers in the NBA suck now. This isn't the 90's anymore.

9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Would

Never

Happen

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just to clear things up a bit...

Chad Ford says:

ESPN’s Jeff Goodman says:

Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal says:

You're welcome.

link

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'm still not seeing it with Wiggins. Where is his HOF potential coming from? What about his freshman year stood out? What is his elite skill, aside from athleticism which plenty of NBA role players are full of?

Think about it like this: every other superstar in the past five years that was 1-and-done, that freshman year just SCREAMED superstar to you. Kevin Durant. Derrick Rose. John Wall. Demarcus Cousins. Even Kyrie Irving did it in like 15 games.

To me, the only one to do it this year was Jabari Parker. If I was picking second and Parker was gone, then I would probably go Dante Exum and then maybe Julius Randle after that. That's just my opinion though.

12. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

What are you talking about? Oden wasn't a bust from a talent perspective.. the dude could play. You're saying Embiid will be a bust because he wont be talented enough just like Oden? :confused:

13. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

An amazing job of what? That team lost 26 games in a row. He's done a good job of clearing space, and probably drafted the best two players in a horrendous draft but so far he has done nothing to put together a winning basketball team.

14. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

15. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

http://grantland.com/features/the-nba-simmons-self-mailbag/

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Watching Joel Embiid in workout for league executives in Santa Monica. Impossible to imagine passing on him at No. 1.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/469893713209356290">May 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Embiid quickly re-asserting claim to # 1 pick here. Added muscle, still has quick feet &amp; a beautiful jumper. No evidence of back issues</p>&mdash; Chad Ford (@chadfordinsider) <a href="https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/statuses/469895066543063040">May 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#76 J.R., May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

^^ No evidence of back issue...?

Um.. yeah, and when Oden was drafted there was no current evidence of his to come injuries.

The question isn't is he currently injured or showing signs of being recently injured. It's, is he more susceptible to future back injuries.

This is the NBA. He's going to get banged on consistently.

It's so hard to tell with these guys. Clearly he has all the potential. Sounds like a taller, longer, slightly more athletic Vonleh ... another guy I really like this draft. But who knows. This is what is so difficult about being a scout. With only one eyar of college, it's hard to put together on court stats and combine stats and project.

I mean his freshman stats best that of someone like Duncan. But then there's guys like KD, Hakeem, etc. who even as freshman on solid teams put up all-world dominant stats.

If Embiid's athletic stats are so out of this world, you would have thought he'd have on court production just a little better, right?

#77 JayZ750, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  18. valorita

valorita Member

If I am the cavs, the offseason would be simple.

1) Draft the highest upside/lowest bust ratio in Wiggins
    2) trade Waiters and TT for Afflalo
    3) let Bennett play through his mistakes as the first big off the bench
    4) trade for Asik with Verajao
    5) trade Jack for Ilyasova

Asik/zeller
    Ilyasova/Bennet
    Wiggins/Gee
    Afflalo/miles
    Irving
    +
    Tons of caproom

19. AFS

AFS Member

I'd add Dion Waiters to the list too. He's turned into a pretty nice scorer, but I would have rather have Barnes or Drummond.

20. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Trade it for Kevin Love.
    1. Hire George Karl
    2. Trade number 1 pick for Kevin Love
    3. Get Carmelo Anthony