1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Who should be the Rockets back-up point guard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2016Champions, Oct 18, 2014.

?

Who should be the Rockets back-up point guard?

1. Isaiah Canaan

60 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. Ish Smith

69 vote(s)
    33.2%
  3. Nick Johnson

31 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. other

48 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Perhaps picking up Will Bynum on a 1 yr contract as a backup PG, may not be such a bad idea if the Celtics waive him.

I thought retaining Ish would be useful, but he has played badly in the last 2 games.

Cut Garcia and Ish too, trade Terry.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can Bynum shoot? If he can do so and handle the ball then I for one approve

3. jedicro

jedicro Member

Not a great 3PT shooter, but he's a good defender and a good passer. He is a reasonably decent NBA player, which at this point seems like a major upgrade.

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I like how McHale went with Harden-Terry combo which is perfect considering Terry is a veteran and will make cuts and can shoot while Harden is the creator. If Terry can prove he can handle 20 minutes a game, I say he should be back-up PG until Harden comes back for Daniels (1st guard off the bench).

So for me our guard rotation should like something like this:
    - Harden subs out with 3 minutes left in 1st quarter - Beverley-Daniels
    - Beverley goes out for Terry beginning of 2nd quarter, Terry-Daniels (shooters combo!)
    - Harden subs in for Daniels with 9 minutes left in the quarter, Harden-Terry
    - Beverley subs in for Terry with 6 minutes left in the quarter, Beverley-Harden

Repeat this the 2nd half and you would have both Harden and Beverley at 36 mins per game, Daniels & Terry 12 minutes a game. Now obviously we will sometimes run small ball where Harden slides over to SF, in which case Beverley and Daniels are the other two. It all depends on how Daniels plays defense but he should become a 20-24 minutes per game player. Terry could play 12-16 depending on whether he can handle PG and the minutes.

5. jedicro

jedicro Member

I like this. The only thing I would want to see more of is Daniels with Harden or Howard. He needs to play off someone who demands attention to be effective.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Stop looking for a 2nd point guard. We don't have one at the moment. Accept that our team is flawed, and don't try to "fix" it with stop gaps.

We are better off keeping Canaan and hoping it clicks for him soon.

7. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Negativity! The biggest problem is if our coaches and GM think Ish Smith is the answer...I rather run with Daniels, Terry or even Papa as a PG!!

8. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I like what you're saying the only difference is this...

Harden is the backup to PB with Terry as the SG... Terry is the 3rd pg..

T_Man

9. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

T_Man says what?

10. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

ROFLMAO!!!!!

T_Man

11. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

Right now it Ish because of a couple reasons:

1. Better play-making ability and (slightly) better decision making. I really like Nick Johnson but he's still a rook, albeit an older one. He'll need some time to adjust to the speed of the game. I really want to like Canaan but, honestly, his ceiling looks like Mario Chalmers. However, I will take a Mario Chalmers-esque player come playoff time (minus the whining).

2. McHale has a history of choosing veterans over younger players. Just the way it is. Most of the time I agree with this strategy but the spurs showed everyone last year that you should experiment throughout the season to get younger players more playing time and more rest for your stars.

The point guard position for our team just needs to maintain. If our PG's can bring just a little something to the table without taking anything away, we'll be in good shape. For that reason, I say Ish Smith.....at least to start the season off.

12. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

No Way Mchale Plays Daniels and Terry at the same time