1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be the next head coach for the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Oct 13, 2013.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

2. Raven

Raven Member

3. conquistador#11

chucky and bill seem very happy doing the tv gigs. Only coaches I like are Sumlin and Pep from the colts organization. I don't mind having kubiak either. He was not responsible for the pick six curse nor cushing's injury which makes us a completely different team when we can't disrupt through the middle.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Sumlin....I don't know, man. Look at his defensive track record wherever he's been.

If we're going after a college guy, I'd like someone a little more balanced as a coach.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

It's going to be Kubiak next year

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Just thinking out loud here, if I'm Sumlin I'd have a hard time leaving A&M for the NFL unless he just has a burning desire to do so. I'm not sure what his ultimate goal is, but the way it is going he could probably stay in CS as long as he wants. But money talks, so who knows.

I think so too. I think there is a slight chance Gary decides to resign and take some time off too though after the scare last Sunday. If he's gone it'll be his decision.

7. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

If you have a chance to go to the NFL you do it. Even if you fail you will always be able to get a great college job and then come back potentially. See Pete Carroll

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Our defense sucked till Wade came on board... it would be the same instance as Kubiak being our offensive minded HC, I'm sure.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, I don't get the love affair with Sumlin either. PASS.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Well, Pete Carroll hadn't really been a college coach before the USC job. He had been a college assistant earlier in his career but had been an NFL assistant for 13 years before he became HC of the Patriots. USC was his only college head coaching job.

A better example might be Nick Saban. Had been the head coach of Michigan State. Was 48-16 with LSU including a national championship. Spent 2 seasons with the Dophins, going 15-17. Left Miami to take the job at Alabama.

Or Steve Spurrier who had a long run of success with Florida, went 12-20 with the Redskins, then came back to college and built up the South Carolina program after Lou Holtz failed there.

11. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

Whoever it is, these last few seasons have soured me on the on-the-job training of GM's and coaches. They get experience while the teams spends seasons in mediocrity.
    I thought Kubiak had improved but he was back to the SOS this season... which may be because he was married to a QB that sucked.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Gruden for sure

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

I would like to see what Gruden could do. Please not Wade, and I bet you that is McNair's favorite next to Kubiak. If Kubiak has more "incidents," he may have to step down. If Cowher still wants to coach, I would pick him.

14. Pete the Cheat

Wade needs to go as well...
    All these retreads are retreads for a reason: the league catches up to them faster than they can adapt.

Bring me fresh blood...

Now this is going to sound like I am contradicting myself...but throw some money at young Shannahan. Young, dumb and full of com-petitive spirit is what this team needs a shot of. Kubes was risk averse from the moment he stepped into the position, and that sets to tone for the team.

Kyle may not have the "competitive spirit" of asshats like the Harbaughs, but he certainly isn't the type to turn his back on a FG either. Not to mention he already has the parts he would need on offense to win now.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any up and coming defensive minds that intrigue me, I would prefer that identity be established for this team. Similar to the tone set by the Steelers when Cowher retired (maybe a bad example right now). But i think Shannahan would be a hell of an option

15. Raven

Raven Member

16. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Sumlin....Cougar Nation all over again.

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The Texans front office really likes Sumlin.

If Case keeps performing, and Kubiak gets fired, than you will know who your next coach will be.

18. Pete the Cheat

19. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Yeah, it seems like the knock about Wade's defenses being good for a year or two, then they fall offis true. I just wanted to believe it would be different here, but its not.

I like the guy, and always will but it seems like it might be time for him to go too. It seems like both of the Texans top two guys need to give it a break for awhile. Kubiak, with his health, and Wade with just time off to deal with Bum's passing. I'm not saying quit completely, they just need to take some time off.

As far as a new HC, I dont know. Last time when Kubiak's extension was in question, rumor was it was down to Troy Calhoun, and Hue Jackson. That really threw me off. I think Kubiak will be back though.

20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wade's defense has been hurt by players not performing up to the level they did his first year in Houston (Barwin/Reed, Joseph, McCain, and Smith are the primary culprits). Losing Cushing the past two years has not helped any as well. Wade's D needs players that win 1-on-1 matchups, and aside from Watt and a pre-injury Cushing, that's been sorely lacking the past couple of years.