1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who *really* Writes the #1 Pop Music: Hit Charade

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Sep 24, 2015.

1. marky :)

marky :) Member

He's the first person that popped into my head when I read the article, considering this article was about pop music.

I watched a documentary about him a while back where he said that he was a co-writer or something on the song umbrella and had a non-hateful smirk comment to Brittney Spears that he had offered the song to her first but she turned it down and look at Rihanna now.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

That's really only the Nashville Sound which sucks ass. Texas Country is still authentic.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This bothers me as well

Rocket River

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I think I remember seeing "Music & Lyrics" the Hugh Grant rom-com vehicle with my wife a few years ago. It is based on this premise of the washed up hair band lead writing songs for other pop stars.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Why stop? Do you think that when you go see them live that they're actually singing? Of course not. Even if they can sing, they don't. They're up there dancing and doing all kinds of crap that they can barely catch their breath let alone sing. It's all just a mirage. They don't write their own songs, they don't make any decisions about their career, they don't sing live (hell, most have never even performed in front of people before being signed). If you're lucky, that might be their actual voice on the record and the audio engineer might have only had to do minimal tweaking/pitch correction.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

This is why I only listen to the soothing rhythm of whale sounds. At least I know they're authentic.

7. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

That's completely different. As an "artist", your music represents you, the way a van gouge does. That's what the fans are buying. It's false advertising to your fans. Lip syncing your own song that you've previously recorded with your own voice isn't equivalently.

An equivalent would be more like Milli Vannili lip syncing someone else's voice.

8. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

This is just as bad... see Ashley Simpson

9. Raven

Raven Member

It's been this way in Country music almost from the beginning.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

It's better to think of all of these pop artists as simply performers. They are not there to create, simply look and play a certain part like someone on broadway, sing (or lip sync) and dance on stage...except w/ less talent.

The crazy thing is this extends to people ghost producing for big name producers.

11. conquistador#11

katy perry wrote ' i don't hook up' for kelly clarkson. I felt it was disingenuous. Here you have a chic that takes pride in kissing a girl and liking it, then she is writing about not hooking up? that ain't right.

R kelly wrote some good ones.

12. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Prince wrote 'Nothing Compares 2 U' & 'Manic Monday'

Legend!

13. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

yes. just as the MilliVanilli thing was diminished when we knew they didn't even sing the songs.

what is art? if you can answer that (i don't believe there's only one answer) it should provide a clear picture of what's an artist. no disgrace in just being an entertainer.

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sUzs5dlLrm0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZcXpKiY2MXE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This isn't exactly a new concept.

The Monkees were like a "greatest hits" of 60's songwriters. Boyce & Hart, Carole King, Neil Diamond.

Being young. sexy and wiggling your ass on stage is a separate skill set from writing a catchy song. Who would turn buy tickets to go see some morbidly obese 50 year old with too many face lifts?

Its the same reason the guys on TV news generally look "good" and sound confident, while reading other people's copy.

15. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

IMO, good performers are a dime a dozen. Lots of luck involved there. It's the writers who bring the real value. Not just true for music. True for movies, true for TV's, true for everything. For TV & movies, the director does add significant value as well. I have a lot of respect for writers of all types - if I like their stuff.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This is why I consider Gloria Estefan one of the greatest "artists". She wrote and performed all of her hits.

"Don't Wanna Lose You"
    "1-2-3"
    "Always Tomorrow"
    "Anything For You"
    "Can't Stay Away From You"
    "Coming Out of the Dark"
    "Here We Are"
    "Rhythm is Gonna Get You"
    "Words Get in the Way"

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

My thing was. . . . . if the music and artist MATTERED why not give the awards to the guys that actually sung it

but they didn't because Awards are false crap like everything hollywood

Rocket River

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

Best Rapper of all time Chamillionaire writes his own songs.

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

Yes. Pop stars are basically actors.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lady Gaga writes her songs.

She was actually one of these shadow writers previously