1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Shai vs. Luka as the Mavericks try to even the series in OKC. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Who lit the fire under..........

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets2K, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Man oh Man!! That little discussion Stevie had with the team seems to have lit up Hakeem! He looks much livelier than he has ALL DAMN YEAR!!! Posting, scoring, blocked shots, changing shots and steals.

Have the body snathchers returned???

[​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------
    You would have to pry the ball outta his hands with a crowbar.

Bill Worrell referring to Cuttino.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Alright who in the hell spiked Dreams water!
    Baseline moves that left Camby standing in his sneakers! Fade away jumpers! Blocked Shots! Steals!

What a game for Dream. He looked 10 years younger. If we could get that kind of mix from Steve and Hakeem on a nightly basis we would be awesome!

The Rox win 100 to ...oh well what does it matter. Great game!

------------------

3. Old School

Old School Member

I think he looked at the calendar and realized the trade deadline is looming around the corner and he better step it up if he wants some takers.

Old School

------------------
    I voted YES!

4. crash5179

Dream just changed what appeared to be another depressing night. What a second half of ball! I think we found the missing peice to the puzzle. If Dream could just play like that every night!

------------------

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I seriously think Dream can do that every night.

------------------
    "We don't have any plans. We just plan to win." Mack Brown

6. crash5179

Then he should be givin a chance! Man I can't beleive how good he and Steve looked together in the 3rd. The Nicks didn't know what to do. Double down on Dream and Steve burned em. And if Steve was not burning em then the Dreams baseline moves were just to quick for Camby.

And did you see Dream block a shot, lead the break and then score the basket all on the same play! What a throw back to the good ole days!

------------------

[This message has been edited by crash5179 (edited February 05, 2001).]

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Gosh a new "OLD" wrinkle...I have been screaming for Rudy to get Dream involved, and he would come through.

It adds diversity to the ROckets....Hakeem can still play, Rudy just needs to let him.

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from monkeys and apes, then why are there still monkeys and apes?

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

He looked pretty good for someone only 49 [​IMG]

------------------
    Sometimes you gotta do the next best thing!

9. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I'm not ashamed to admit that I almost cried when Dream had that block after he tried for the steal, then chased down the rebound and the crowd game a standing ovation. I've got tears welling up right now just thinking about it.

Best game of the year. No contest.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

10. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Tonight was a sweeeeet night. [​IMG]

------------------
    Charles Barkley on TBS on the "fat track" poll: "What? 47% said I'd gain more.....why those.....they better be glad this is a family show."

11. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I must say I felt extremely privileged tonight to be at the Compaq Center. I've followed the Rockets for over five years now, but tonight was my first live Rockets game (and basketball game actually).

I missed getting to see Sir Charles and the Glyde play before they retired, but, oh how sweet it is, to have seen Dream just once, showing the quickness that has made him one of the all-time greats (and against the Knicks, appropriately).

That third quarter was unbelievable. I (and more importantly, my Knick-fan roommate) was shocked to see that the Rockets had not only come back from a 12-point deficit, but had pushed it to ten on the best defensive team in the NBA. Dream just nailed some sweet, sweet shots. Francis hit some great threes, and I yelled myself hoarse. I have to admit when Steve hesitated on the perimeter, eyeing the basket, and then threw it up, I pulled a 'Rudy T' and was yelling "No! Noo! No! YESSSSSS!!!!!!"

Some other observations:
    - I was surprised to see Shandon drive to the basket in the first quarter, but it was good to see.
    - Carlos really should get more minutes. I understand Rudy T likes to have guys on the perimeter to open things up for Steve and Cuttino, but the guy really hustles, and got some nice points and rebounds.
    - Cuttino's a great player (I didn't appreciate the negative comments about Cuttino one lady behind me kept shouting, despite the fact that they were true) but he does have some ways to go in terms of playing within the team and making better decisions with the ball. I wish he would dish more when he drives.
    - Did you see Mo T go up for that rebound in the fourth? I couldn't believe my eyes. [​IMG]
    - This is a young team. The Knicks were much better about ball movement and crisp passes than the Rockets in the first half. I saw isos that were ineffective because the Rockets didn't pass the ball fast enough; too many times, someone would pass, receiver would hesitate, and then pass. Oh yeah; silly turnovers.
    - <"6th sense" whisper> I saw fast breaks. They were sweet. I think HP's got a point. [​IMG]
    - I don't mean to put an asterisk by the victory, but back-to-back road games are tough, and I imagine that the Knicks might have made less turnovers in the fourth and been more effective defending the fast break had they not had just come from an intensive game in Miami the day before.
    - I felt very proud to be a Rockets fan, to be cheering the home team on in a season where game attendance is at an all time low, the players feel the fans are dead, and the Rockets have a losing record at home. My girlfriend got me to stop yelling negative things at the Knicks and the refs, but she couldn't stop me from cheering my head off with the momentum change in the second half.

I can tell my kids someday that I saw the Dream play before he retired. That I saw a young talented team play shortly before shooting it to a higher level. I feel so fortunate my first game turned out so picturesque, memorable on multiple levels, and I look forward to many more.

------------------

12. Old School

Old School Member

I know what you mean...I was a 12 year old kid and saw my hero Hank Aaron hit a home run (#696) and I thought I was gonna tear up right there.

Old School

------------------
    I voted YES!