1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who knew what when

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Nov 17, 2020.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

True, but at the same time DM has been very professional and hasn't bashed TIlman publicly.

If TIlman starts pulling stuff like that DM could easily take to the airwaves and say " yeah i quit because i couldn't work for a cheapass owner who refused to go into the LT during Cp3/WB and James' prime. Oh also he forced me to make the WB trade , and wouldnt pony up $ for a veteran coach."

same reason Harden adn WB have leverage ( even though under contract ) beyond that its a players league ... all they have to drop is a little " dont wanna play for cheap ownership" and then TIlman is even more of a joke. Rockets fans can put 2+2 together and say he's cheap ... but to shine a national spotlight on it is a whole nother level.

So far DM , MDA , james and Russ have kept relatively quiet.

It hurts DM too , and lowers his chances of being hired ... but DM would prolly take his chances given how highly thought of he is. 20+ other teams would still be calling eventually

HP3 and kjayp like this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah China clipped a lot of power from Murray.

That bubble collapse was a disaster. Who knows what tilfart privately b****ed about since everyone on here were confident we were the better matchup after G1. Rockets fans had no choice but to go 100 trusting smallball.

It was a massive failure of overpriced dual MVP midget ball where no one, not Murray, not mda, not ferntits, and definitely not the players were satisfied they went in with the best situation.

Losing magnifies everything. Everyone could see that this was the last year because Murray turned in all his moves and the owner didn't allow him to stash picks or trade exceptions in the years before.

Since this was Murrays baby, he couldn't break it up again so his situation in the coming years was a puppet who serves nothing more than moving tickets (flat out lying) and moving cap space (main priority).

Someone mentioned non compete clause not being in the terms. I guess the devil here is whether Murray walked off with extra money or it's wiped out with another gig... Which saves Tillman money, let alone trading Murray for expensive picks.

The severance contract will shed light on everyone's theories....

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I just dont see Tilly letting an asset that is under contract just walk away - unless it is benefitting him in some way... cost cutting or whatever...

When Bzdelik quit, he 'retired' bc he was still under contract... he couldnt have just gone and taken a position elsewhere at that time... right?

someday maybe we'll know...

HP3 likes this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

This move was very sudden though. I dont believe that Morey stepped down wllingly.....or i would say I dont think it was because he wanted to leave Houston.

5. Caprah

Caprah Member

I can’t believe I pointed the blame at the beard earlier when the real culprit was tilly

6. TimDuncanDonaut

Philly most likely poached him while under contract. With the situation in Hou souring, it was a good enough offer for DM to make the call. At first I thought it'd be the 'family' reasons, but the fact that he landed the president job this quickly, connected the dots. Guys like DM don't just quit unless he had another gig lined up. It's one thing for DM to be qualified for the job, it's also convenient timing, where 76ers cushy position suddenly became available.

This is not saying maybe tilly wasn't sweating on the cost saving; DM and other sensed it; they weren't going to sink with the ship, he took initiative and got his arse outta there.

I see this in my own company often. Where if a person wants to leave (team/dept don't do well, downturn in business, project ending...etc whatever the reason), people start looking at internal postings. When something is lined up, then you tell your current boss/manager. In that order, not the other way around. The current boss could be a jerk about it, but in most cases they're reasonable and approve the transfer.

#66 TimDuncanDonaut, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

If Tillman hadntn of been interfering like he had been. The luxury tax, WB trade etc....He would not have left. This was too sudden to where it was just planned. Otherwise the Coaching candidates would have known Daryl wasnt going to be here.

8. TimDuncanDonaut

Yes I agree. Tilly's cheapness led to the sour situation. But as far as the end decision, I think it is what was reported, where Daryl was the one who gave notice, not Tilly firing him. Tilly probably not knowing he made the organization a challenging environment for DM to work in.

HP3 likes this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea....Im hoping that's what it is lol. Tbh....I can totally just see Daryl being like, "I was gonna leave anyways, might as well speed up the process." That would make me sad though lol, but I could believe this.

10. riko

riko Member

Or if Tillman was not such a jackass with no common decency then Morey would not have had to go to this much trouble to get out of town under guises of needing family time to except the Philly offer!

I can’t be certain but if this were under Les and Morey was offered the same opportunity with the Sixers I am pretty sure he would have knocked it back.

11. pass_to_Hakeem

I actually agree with this post. We may never know unless one of the four (MDA, Harden, WB or DM) speak, and spill the tea. Clearly all four didn’t just wake up on the same day and decide “I don’t want to be in Houston anymore”... nah

12. pass_to_Hakeem

I think DM got tired of Titts not wanting to spend money and he realized his work was gonna be cut out for him. He had Harden / Russ in his ear to improve the team but he had the owner in the other year talking to him about budget. Just my thoughts on DM!!

Side note, I bet once DM made the announcement he was stepping down and then signed a contract with Philly..... he slept like a baby and felt the monkey off his back that is the dumpster fire down in Houston

13. pass_to_Hakeem

And obviously ... four people left or will have left so that tells you where the problem is. If WB didn’t like sitting around watching Harden dribble, k.... so then why not sit back and let Harden get dealt and then *BOOM* you no longer have to sit back and watch Harden dribble the life out of the gym. Yet you still want out

Too much smoke to ignore the true fire and its source.

DVauthrin likes this.
  14. riko

riko Member

Westbrook had no issues watching Harden dribble while he was putting up career best numbers from December to March. In the playoffs Westbrook I think had more shot attempts then harden so yeah.

that was a lot of hogwash to mask the real reason why Westbrook, Harden wanted out.

DVauthrin likes this.